Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tail Shift
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
I liek the VW shifting, its more spacial than having a gated feel.

Is this what a tail shifter shifts like?

If so I'd be intrested in backdating.
robby750
What?? I drove one many, many years ago, before I knew there was a difference. It was a friends car and I felt sorry for him cause I thought his shifter was screwed up. I think you would be the only person in the world to backdate one.
bd1308
the VW style is neat.

Dr Evil
A well sorted out tail shifter with good bushings shifts just fine. There is no real need for it to suck more.

Just my $.02
bd1308
so nobody actually shifted a VW before?

spacial shifting compared to gated shifting

like '5th is down and over here' rather than ' 5th is down gate #3 and down the hallway'
shaggy
i like my tail shifter

it was rescently rebuilt and now i have all new bushings for it
it shifts better than any other car ive ever driven
other than maybe my dads 914
which was a 74 side shifter with a renn sport shirt shift
but his car was, drivetrane, far from stock

-jim
Dr Evil
Old VW = mystery shifting, "I think third is here? No? Here? No? How about heeeere?"

You want the stick in a bucket kind of shifting, eh?
nbscooters
If you cant find it, GRIND IT!
bd1308
I guess i'll stick with side...

cant backdate anyway.. no ball N socket thing on my firewall
So.Cal.914
If you are use to a tail shifter it's fine with 24 years of practice I rarely miss

a shift. But I am looking forward to driving my 74 if for no other reason than

not having to worry so much about it.
JPB
Bruce Lee said it best, first hitting his student WHHACK, " Don't think, feeeeel!" My friends Hot Roded VW shifts pretty darn nice and yes its a feel thing. My 914 tail shifts better and I don't see any problem with it. Just don't go from 4th to 1st.LOL

beer.gif vvvvvvvRRRROOOOOOOOOOoooommmmm m m m "Kerry Hunter" POP POP POP
bd1308
Maybe i'm not as crazy as ya'll think now tongue.gif
dlo914
speaking of tail shifters, is the shifter itself the same as one from a side shifter? if not, is the coupler, the piece that connects to the shift rod with an adjusting screw the same?
bugsy0
Also, with tail shifters it's critical to get the shifter adjusted right. When in second, the shift knob is practically _under_ the edge of the dash. If the shifter stick is too far backward, the "throw" is off and it will feel very vague. To adjust it, loosen the clamp under the tunnel cover near the fire wall and slide the shift rod forward/backward. Makes a huge difference.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(dlo914 @ Sep 22 2006, 06:37 PM) *

speaking of tail shifters, is the shifter itself the same as one from a side shifter? if not, is the coupler, the piece that connects to the shift rod with an adjusting screw the same?

Different on all counts.
dlo914
damn! i had to find out the hard way in person. now would anyone happen to have a shifter for a side-shift; mainly the coupler?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.