Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Q's on muffler and exhaust studs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
Ok, couple questions.

So on my muffler one of the studs (the passenger side hanger one) has previously worked it's way out and my muffler now only hangs on the driver's side exhaust hanger stud. Bad? How should I fix? Will permanent threadlocker work for it?

Also, even worse. An exhaust stud loosened up on me and fell out, I even lost the stud. What does this mean? I've done some searching but none of it makes any sense to me. I don't want to attempt the fix it myself. I had plans on taking the car in to a shop to get the engine tuned up and the carbs dialed in, should they also be able to handle the exhaust stud? Can I trust it with them? Is it a common thing?

sad.gif Danke.

Chris Pincetich
TO a qualified 914 mechanic, this is not a big deal. I was quoted $100 to fix a broken exhaust stud. You will likely have problems with more then one by the way you described your situation. If you *search* for more posts there are many explaining the various fixes and pitfalls. With the right tools and a steady hand, many people have fixed this themselves. Good luck! beerchug.gif
bd1308
Do it yourself,

NOBODY can EVER take knowledge from you.

Hoenstly, I'm a car idiot. I taught myself everything I know and now I tune people's L-Jet systems by ear and verify by CO meter and my nose.

I'm a computer nerd, not a mechanical genius. I can recompile linux kernels, and I can now also adjust valves and tune Fi systems and build engines. It just takes time to learn, and the right person to show you how. You have my number if you EVER need help. Well, actually you have the other cell number, but you can always PM me. I am sure other people are out there you can PM, but I *WAS* in your shoes. My parents said ONE car, and I had to choose. I chose the 914 and Ive been burned, crushed (tire pinched my hand bettwen the ground and the wheelwell), splashed in the ear by gas (hurts REAL bad) and been more greasy than I could ever imagine--but I wouldnt ever think twice abotu doing it again.

I'm getting good, but nobody can take that away from you.

Learn to use the force.
Brando
If the exhaust stud is broken up in the head, you can take it to a machinist and they can drill it out then time-cert (case saver) the exhaust stud hole. Chances are you'll have to drop the engine and pull the heads to have it done right. The big problem is getting it right so the stud is straight. The other option is to take it to a shop that has an EDM, they can fully remove the stud. I would suggest having them all replaced with stainless studs.
bondo
Eep, is this on the engine you got from me?

I replaced a stripped out stud with a stepped stud. It was pretty tight, so I doubt that was the one that came out. I used a 10mm-8mm rocker stud from a wasserboxer. The 10mm end needs to be shortened. Just get a 10mm tap, the right size drill, and drill/tap it for the 10mm stepped stud. Do not drill deeper than the original hole! Screw a nut onto the stud before cutting it, so when you take the nut off it fixes the threads.

Of course if you're not experienced in tapping threads, have a shop do it. You only get one chance.
Hammy
Thanks for the replies.

Royce, yes it's the engine I got from you. It's my fault though, I'm sure I overtightened something.

I'd do it myself normally but it's just getting to a point where I really don't have the time anymore and need to get things moving.

Will a shop be able to source a correct stud and nut to use? How do you think they'd fix it?
Will it be safe to drive it down to a shop with the stud missing? Or would I risk ruining something with the massive exhaust leak?
anthony
If the studs just loosened and fell out but the theads are still good, can you should be able to just screw the studs back in? I guess you'd just use high temperature Loctite to hold them in. For the lost stud, you can find new ones at the usual parts suppliers.
Hammy
QUOTE(anthony @ Sep 26 2006, 10:47 PM) *

If the studs just loosened and fell out but the theads are still good, can you should be able to just screw the studs back in? I guess you'd just use high temperature Loctite to hold them in. For the lost stud, you can find new ones at the usual parts suppliers.

If i remember correctly I think I could get a regular metric bolt (M8 or whatever size it is) to screw into the empty stud hole, but I wasn't sure of what actually is supposed to hold the studs in? So it might be possible the stud did just simply come unscrewed. ?
914werke
Id be cautious sad.gif If you havent had the heads off there could be crack damage
that is a contributing factor to your issues confused24.gif
Hammy
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Sep 26 2006, 11:17 PM) *

Id be cautious sad.gif If you havent had the heads off there could be crack damage
that is a contributing factor to your issues confused24.gif

got me worried sad.gif

I tried it today and the threads seem to be fine. I can thread a metric bolt back into the head. Yet, sadly I found another stud that felt loose. It screwed out but none of the threads are stripped. I can thread back into both stud holes fine...
So what can I do? Is it possible to use permanent loctite or JB weld or something on the threads and thread it back in and let it sit? Or will that not work? wacko.gif

Also, is Jake the only source for new studs? Or can they be picked up at my FLAPS?

jd74914
I searched high and low and Jake seems to be the only one who sells step studs in these sizes. I bought from him (and they were really expensive) but now I do have all new studs so that was a good deal smile.gif
Hammy
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Sep 27 2006, 06:29 PM) *

I searched high and low and Jake seems to be the only one who sells step studs in these sizes. I bought from him (and they were really expensive) but now I do have all new studs so that was a good deal smile.gif

Thanks.

Hmmm, I'd completely forgotten I have a spare 1.7 engine stored away that I could get studs from, if that's even possible... So, next question- Is it possible to remove an exhaust stud without ruining it? If so, how would I do it?
dlo914
QUOTE(Hammy @ Sep 28 2006, 01:58 AM) *

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Sep 27 2006, 06:29 PM) *

Thanks.

Hmmm, I'd completely forgotten I have a spare 1.7 engine stored away that I could get studs from, if that's even possible... So, next question- Is it possible to remove an exhaust stud without ruining it? If so, how would I do it?

Your typical exhaust stud should look like the image below; give or take the length of each threaded end. On the non-threaded areas you could take a pair vice grip to loosen out the stud.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.