Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.2 oil circuit..... oil cooler install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob

So I'm ready to install an external oil cooler up front for my 3.2.....it's a 914 conversion and when I open the MOCAL box I see that the moron sent me a -10AN thermostat...which NOT what wanted as my cooler and all the lines are NOT -10......

I am cutting into the oil line that connects to the engine direct the to oil tank Not the line that goes from the tank to the stock cooler......

so.....is this oil which is HOT, already gone thru the internal engine oil thermostat?

Is it thin and safe to plumb in the cooler without another thermostat?
bd1308
I would say yes, but I am not sure and am leaning to no, unless someone else suggests that is a good idea, and in that case i'm all for it.

What does anybody else think? I think its a good idea, except for the thermostat not being included, which might be a good idea, but its a -10 fitting and the oil is hot, so maybe he dont need it, just run without, but the would it be thin enough?
Joe Bob
I can't even use the -10 as the rest of my stuff is -12AN....it's the wrong thermostat....so even if I wanted to use it, I would have to buy reducers....so no 914 for me this weekend......
bd1308
I thought you'd respond differently than I had planned.

you passed? wacko.gif
PRS914-6
There is a thermostat on the rear of the engine for the engine mounted cooler. You would pick up the line that returns to the tank and install the thermostat at that point.

The way it is supposed to work is that once the engine mounted cooler can't keep up, the oil leaving the engine will be hot enough to open your Mocal thermostat and diverting oil up to your new cooler.

Keep the lines short and the new thermostat as close to the engine and tank as possible so when the engine is cold you are not pumping cold oil any further than necessary.
sixnotfour
the line from the motor is scavenged from the case after bearing lubing.

the other half of the pump ,(inlet) pumps to the engine bearings and when warm enough gets cooled(engine mounted cooler) before lubing.

thermostats also help bring the engine to operating temp quicker.
john rogers
On my race car we have never run a thermostat for ther front cooler. If it is cold such as at Willow Springs in March I tape the cooler opening some or let the engine warm up before going fast. I've owned it since 1998 and never had any issues.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.