Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need advice on getting car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
Trying to make a rational decision on getting my new 70 yellow 914. I live in Gautier Mississippi (no snow zone) car is in Seattle Washington area. I am going to try and get the car during the thanksgiving holiday. Lots of extra parts and an engine set of wheels & tires whole interior. So I plan on towing car on dolly behind My 94 Explorer 2WD.

Who thinks this is a bad idea? I know you guys in the PAC NORWEST should have the best advice. I am not familiar with the roads But, I would assume there is a mountain range somewhere I will have to cross. SNOW SUCKS!!!!

I could sell all parts to you PAC NORWEST guys and then have shipper tear up my car for me. Really not my 1st choice.
GaroldShaffer
Is flying out and renting a small Uhaul truck & auto transport a option for you?? This has worked well for
me in the past when needing to transport my old
toy (88 Daytona ShelbyZ) and parts. One way airfair
is cheap if you book your flight in advance.

Just a thought.

-Garold
Hawktel
Depends.

If we get a Thanksgiving snow storm, doing the Blues in Oregon, and the Rocky's into Wyoming, bring snow chains and big brass ones. ph34r.gif

Good weather, bring some shades, and enjoy the ride. cool_shades.gif
Porsche Rescue
If you factor in motels/meals/gas it is likely cheaper to fly from Miss. to Wa. but I don't know cost of rental truck and dolly one way to Mississippi.

Depending on the route you choose you may cross two or more serious mountain ranges. The big one is the Rockies but don't discount the Cascades in Wash. Chances of snow in late Nov. are very good.
I would not go east from Seattle but rather drop into Oregon on I-5 and catch I-84 to Utah and I-80 east over the Rockies. The snow threat will be around LaGrande, OR (Blue Mtns.) and from Utah east through Wyoming (Rockies). It will be a crapshoot. You will have to pay attention to weather forcasts and could have to hole up for a day or two while a storm passes. The interstates are cleared pretty quickly after a big snow but you don't want to be travelling during the storm, especially at night. I drove Chicago-Portland in late Oct. and had serious snow near Rock Springs, Wyoming. You are going to be a month later. If you have time, I would look at going south into California (only possible serious snow pass is south of Ashland, OR on I-5 (Siskyou Mtns.). Go as far south as possible before heading east. Some the the California guys can tell you the best way east from there. If you have to go as far south as LA on I-5 it is about 1150 miles from Seattle. I would travel only in daylight hours unless the weather happens to be clear and dry. More likely you will have rain in the NW. Only question is how much and if it is cold enough to become snow at higher elevations.
boxstr
Joe the distance that you are going to have to travel and the time of year are going to be the main considerations. If you are going tto sell the spare partsin the Pacific Northwest , why not have the car transported.
Jim Chambers and I and recently Brad Roberts have all towed or trailered a 914 a very long distance. With gas prices and lodging costs, you really are not going to come out ahead of having a commercial transport company pick the car up and deliver it to your front door.
This is a cost that I think a person needs to factor into the purchase of a out of state vehicle.
I own a tow dolly so that is not a problem, I also own a Jeep Grand that is setup for towing, I feel very comfortable goiing to Calif and towing a car there and towing one back, but I will tell you this, I would probably only do it when I knew for certain that i was going to have optimum weather, and that all of my towing equipment was in perfect condtion.
This is just my $1500.00 opinion.
CCLINTOWTOWN
Joe Ricard
one way flight $200 + tow dolly $263 + u-haul truck alot$$$$$. me only driver (sucks) + hotels$$$ gas$$$

Option 17 yr old son held as hostage driver there and back. Explorer makes 22 MPG Probably 16MPG towing. average 19 MPG round trip 6000 miles. @ 1.60 per gallon thats $505.00 dollars gas. 100.00 for food. maybe 1 hotel 70.00

SNOW and crappy weather 3 mountan ranges = a very bad trip. Hope my buddy has alot of extra room in his work shop till spring. Fly out drive car back.
GWN7
If your going to drive out and tow it back, I'd do what jim9146 suggested. Head South before you cross the mountains. When I went to pick up the Nevada car, my original plan was to head West and then South, but a snow storm changed my route and I ended up going across the mountains on I80 into Salt Lake then going down to las Vegas. On the way home I went acroos on I70 up to Denver and worked my way North from there. The main reason was Black Ice. I ran into it at the tops of the mountains and had to drive on it for about 6 miles going down a 6% grade, not fun. (Remember I drive on ice/snow 6 months of the year)

The Southern route had no snow or ice and was much more pleasent of a drive on the way home. It was longer, but less grey hair sprouted along the way.

You mentioned 6000 miles. Figure 12 hrs a day at 70 mph = 840 miles per day. That's 7 days on the road there and back. Even if you bump it up to 14 hrs per day, that's 6 days. Hotels average $75 a night (you can't sleep in the truck when it's -10 outside), that brings your gas & hotel bill up to $1000. Figure at least $20 a day for food. If your son goes along make that $40 (kids like lots of junk food when bored out of their skulls on road trips). That brings the total to closer to $1300. Now add in unexpected costs and wear and tear on your truck. Not to mention if your not used to driving long distances it can be pretty hard on your body. Don't ask me why, your just sitting there all that time.

The plus side to a road trip towing home is that you get to see parts of the country that you have never seen before.

If you only have 4 days (over the Thanksgiving holiday) I'd wait for plan II and drive it home in the spring when you have more time. There is nothing worse than a unexpected delay to make a road trip a nightmare.

Personally I'd fly out and drive it home in the spring. It is a better way to get to know your car. Have what ever work is needed to it before you go. Take your time and enjoy the trip home. Plan a week to get home, stop and do some sightseeing along the way.
Brad Roberts
I would come over HWY 40 from Miss and go 58 to the 5 and drive for half your life... north.

This is a tough decision for you. Oh.. you might get snow/ice in Flagstaff AZ this time of year.

B
mharrison
Joe,
I'd definitely be interested in looking at the parts you are planning to sell. I might even be able to swing a ride along-assist with driving role if I can work it out with the office and the wife. I'm in Madison,MS just north of Jackson.

-Matt
914werke
Ive bought and shipped two cars (both Audi S-cars) one from MN the other from main. closed transporter one with an extra set of wheels. The Mn shipp cost about $1100 the Main shippment cost almost $1400.
Id think twice on the trip we dont snow till nearer feb-march but itll be cold wet and icey if you come/go over the passes.
Joe Bob
Ship it....money saved versus hassle is almost equal....
andys
From your post, I assume you've already made the purchase. Though stricktly my opinion, I would have prefered to purchase something closer, rather than do a completely diagonal run across the entire US. Even SoCal or AZ would have been more palatable (with plenty of dry weather cars available). That said, if you do make the drive, I'd suggest doing the southern route south thru CA, then east thru AZ. I've been through the Siskyuo pass (OR/CA boarder) many times, and it rarely presents any problems. The Rockies, on the other hand, can be very unpredictable.

Good luck,

Andy
Hawktel
We just got a couple inches here in Ogden, (real close to where I 84 hits I 80). The storm hit the Blues, and then came down here to the Rockies.

Your choice on it, but I've driven that road more times than I can count, all year around. The Gorge, Blues, Rockies ain't tame enough for me to be blase about. If I was doing what your doing, I'd be looking really hard for another way. Hell maybe someone could tarp it for you in a backyard, and you could do it in the spring. Thats a option I'd recommend. Road trips are always so nice in the spring!

MDB2.gif
Joe Ricard
Matt I will keep you in mind. for both the trip and the parts. My 17 yr old son will probably help drive, he has his own 914. The cool blue one in the avatar. Buddy has a three bay steel garage thing. concrete floor and big doors. If I tell him he can drive it once in awhile to substitute for rent it might work. aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.