Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Centre Console removal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thewheel69
Hello again... just call me speedo-cable-boy...
So I've managed to get the center padded box out fine but now I am having issues with the main center console... near as I can figure there are only 2 big phillips head screws, one on each side under the dashboard... I have looked all over for any others... the console is not budging at all... I didnt want to start prying things too hard until I got some feedback from you guys...

The Haynes manual doesnt have any descriptions other than saying remove it.

I dont think I will be able to replace the speedo cable without removing it.

Help! confused24.gif
Root_Werks
There are 2 screws/bolts holding that bracket in place at the top of the console (inside it). Take the bracket off, it makes it much easier.

You should be able to remove the gauge cluster and shifter cover to expose everything. wink.gif
thewheel69
wink.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif
Of course I picked the hottest day of the "fall" of Texas to change out the speedo cable... prolly why by brain didnt "think" to look for the ability to pull back the gauge cluster... thanks for the hint/wink...

I hope I dont have to do THAT again anytime soon! Is the clutch cable any easier? I have a new one in the trunk just in case but my gut tells me its empty insurance if stranded on the side of the road....

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!

I can now gauge my speediness and gas milage!

aktion035.gif
ayama
Here's a ton of tasks not in the manual or made easier with pictures and detailed diagrams cool.gif

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914tech_articles.htm
So.Cal.914
As I remember there is one maybe two screws at the rear of the console near

the center pad, it's been awhile maybe one in the center at the rear. Take a look.
Dave_Darling
There is a bracket that goes from the rear-most lateral panel (the one between where the shift lever lives and where the center "seat cushion" lives) that screws into the top of the center tunnel. There is also a screw into the top of the tunnel that goes through the bracket that the gauge panel rests on.

--DD
thewheel69
Thank you gentlemen... especially for what seamed like a super simple task of getting the center console out.. (it was after I figured out that I could "pop" the guage cluster away from the console)

A coulple of tips I found helpful along the way;
  • If working in a hot garage... get your box fan and put it in the passanger side with the door propped open to keep your brains cool
  • Tie a wire to the speedo end of the old cable and pull through tunnel to tie to the new cable and pull back through
Other than that, it was fairly easy... its always an adventure learning where those whacky German engineers thought up ways to attach/connect and hide things in their design.

jf
pray.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.