Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The last straw! The Mother Ship is going down the road!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
First Diff broke at around 7000 miles. We had the warentee service done a week before the first event! We bought this truck to tow the Alien out to the WCC 05.

Five days before the event the diff broke. It took 6 weeks to get it fixed. Nissan wouldn't loan us a truck so we could keep our vacation plans intact. My options were to drive the car at great risk to the event or not go.
We never towed anything with it before the first failure.

Now just over 36000 and it broke again. We still haven't used it to tow more than my 12' trailer with the 914 (twice) and the MGA (once) I put a plow on it last year but it was such a bad plow truck I gave up trying to use it to plow after 4 tried.

Were hoping the "60,000 mile Power Train" warentee covers the rear axle or were Fuched! We just have the last basic warentee done two weeks ago. Just went over the 36000 mile basic warentee! mad.gif

Anyone ever had this happen? We luv the truck, but CRAP! that's it!

BTW: When we had it in last, the service manager told us when they changed the diff under warentee they failed to install the vent in the new diff. They were to order one and call us when it came in. Guess what... No call. Now they'll get to add that vent to the second diff!
bd1308
So have you seen the carnage from one of these things ?

Like do they explode, or implode, or create a black hole, or do they just get stripped out?
wbergtho
That will be your saving grace if they tell you it isn't covered under the 60K warranty. I would think their not giving you a call...and never putting in the vent would be more than enough reason for them to get it right this time....at no cost to you I might add. Sorry to hear this.

Bill
BTW: When we had it in last, the service manager told us when they changed the diff under warentee they failed to install the vent in the new diff. They were to order one and call us when it came in. Guess what... No call. Now they'll get to add that vent to the second diff!

So.Cal.914
Yah they are getting even for the A-bomb, they send their $hit over here and

just when you don't expect it....IT BLOWS UP.
rhodyguy
i had a 67' DATSUN roadster i drove to death. i had a 74' DATSUN p/u i drove to deathx2. where is that truck manufactured rick?

k
bd1308
Rick, your Titan = The Mothership?

Ive Never seen anything that big in my life
rick 918-S
Anyone that thinks they are posting on a German car forum and and embracing the "Be American, Buy American", you need to check the source of your parts. I have news for ya... Your Dog, Chebby, and Ferd may have been assembled here, but it ain't made here... blink.gif Nissan has a huge assembly plant here in the states and provides lots of good paying jobs. This is a world economy people... get a clue.

Hey Bill, that what I was thinking also. The vent may be the ace.
bd1308
True, Toyota opened a HUGE plant in Louisville, and provide lots of jobs to even my buddies.

Brian_Boss
In general I have pretty high regard for Japanese car reliability, in particular Toyota/Lexus, but I thought it was widely accepted that the Titan rear end was weak for towing.

Disclaimer: I have a diesel F-250.

Joe Bob
I bought me a warrannnteee fer a Nissan tuff mofo 4x4 in 1980....dumped the rear end twice in 3 months....they fixed em.....then I dumped the tranny...they accepted it & said it was covered then told me it wasn't covered.....

Hit me with a bill that was about 50% of what it was worth.....said I could take them to court......I was kinda flush at the time, paid the tab and vowed to fuck em......

five years later....that truck had 2,000 dollars of parking tickets, and illegal exhaust, rust, a broken frame and I shit in the heater box.....

traded it in and paid cash for a new ride at 30% under list because they were hurting.....

Japanese rides can kiss my hairy ass......

They called me later and said they had an "issue" with the smog and tickets...I said remember the warranty you guys fucked me on????

Never heard a word.....

South Bay Nissan....Redondo Beach......I still wanna pipe bomb them....
bd1308
hide.gif

i'd hate to get on your bad side...
messix
if your hauling or towing any thing more than a jet ski get a domestic.
3/4 ton is a min. for towing trailer and car. just my experience.
Mr.C
QUOTE(mikez @ Sep 22 2006, 08:21 PM) *

I shit in the heater box.....

Japanese rides can kiss my hairy ass......

I wish that visual wasn't in my head. barf.gif
john rogers
If you are going to tow, there is only one truck for the job, F350 Powerstroke. I bought this one in May and yes the race car does fit in the 5th wheel toy hauler.
bd1308
Time to beam the mothership up to the interstellar ship hanger in the sky.
rick 918-S
All the ads show the Titan out pulling every truck in it's class. I should be able to tow my little trailer. Nice rig John!
bd1308
sad.gif

rick 918-S
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Sep 22 2006, 08:36 PM) *

sad.gif

huh.gif
bd1308
sorry that pic makes me sad
rick 918-S
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Sep 22 2006, 08:47 PM) *

sorry that pic makes me sad

How about this one? Pals beerchug.gif wavey.gif
bd1308
LOL.

Early in the morning.

Thanks again for the coffee.

I saw the motherhship in person smile.gif
StratPlayer
I still want to slap you over cutting the front end off that pink car......

(not stratplayer)
bd1308
it was an open auction, if the call came up and you were in the pilot seat, you can make the calls.
StratPlayer
Actually I did....but you were bidding on it so I stayed away from the auction.....I told you not to cut that car and was second to Rick to offer to buy it from you.....if you remember I told you to rent a truck (if you need to) and drive down (Actually up for you) and get the free front end that was offered to you so you didn'T have to cut up that car.....

(not stratplayer)
bd1308
Why dont you rent a truck and come up here to talk to me in person about it?

shit happens man, so I cut a car up. Not the first time it happened, and wont be the last.

Longs were rusted pretty bad too IIRC,

Didnt you put 2 and 2 together when I had a wreck and was looking for a parts car?
Root_Werks
Hey Rick, seems like you might want to visit getting something a little more purpose built? I am not a big Ford fan, but do know they make great trucks along with almost anything GM builds. I have never thought that Nissan was a builder of a true "work truck". Just my opinion. confused24.gif
bd1308
but why put a hitch on something that wont hold up to towing, and why advertise it for towing anything, if he cant use it for towing?
Joe Bob
Because Nissan ALWAYS over rates their trucks.

Toyota makes a better import...."I" just got my Yukon back from the wife...got her a Volvo and she loves it.....

The YUK has four wheel steering and a 6.0L....tows like a dream.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Sep 23 2006, 06:24 AM) *

Why dont you rent a truck and come up here to talk to me in person about it?

shit happens man, so I cut a car up. Not the first time it happened, and wont be the last.

Longs were rusted pretty bad too IIRC,

Didnt you put 2 and 2 together when I had a wreck and was looking for a parts car?

Britt is correct. this car was a mess long before it came up for sale. I happen to have owned a body shop for 18 years and done body work for about 35 years. If I fix this car it will be only if I get a couple of free rollers I can canibalize. It would have taken all of that to do it prior. Brit gave me the car because I have the talent to fix it. I will never make a dime from doing it, infact I will loose my ass if I do. But that's the way it is. I haven't decided if it's worth it. Now we may not have a truck to tow the trailer if I ever find a free roller... mad.gif

We all do things in hind site that we regret. (Like buying the Titan... not really I'm still pissed) Britt saved his car and is still driving a 914 after he has experienced lots of problems that would have caused alot of us to bail and move on. Give him some credit. He's a good kid. Quit picking on him.

Now, Back on topic. The Titan left on a roll back today. I have a few minor concerns yet. First the towing is only covered for the first 12000 miles. We have AAA so that took care of that.

After reading the warentee info, looks like the Diff is covered to 60,000.

BUT: The warentee book says if you bolt on NON Nissan approved accesories it voids your warentee. I have a plow frame bolted on. Hmmmm dry.gif confused24.gif dry.gif
spare time toys
Titans have a HUGE issue with the rear ends. Of the 4 guys at work who have them all of them have had the rear ends go out. One of them is on a titan club sort of along the lines of this place and they have a photo of the scrap heap out back opf a dealers that has about 15 - 20 rear end assys piled on the dumpster. They are also having trouble with the factory spray in bed liner with the Texas heat. 2 of them had big chunks of the stuff pop loose from the floor. It looks to be a prpe issue.
JB 914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 22 2006, 07:48 PM) *

Anyone that thinks they are posting on a German car forum and and embracing the "Be American, Buy American", you need to check the source of your parts. I have news for ya... Your Dog, Chebby, and Ferd may have been assembled here, but it ain't made here... blink.gif Nissan has a huge assembly plant here in the states and provides lots of good paying jobs. This is a world economy people... get a clue.

Hey Bill, that what I was thinking also. The vent may be the ace.

Rick,

We have an Armada and had the brake problems. Our local dealer, not even the dealer we purchased from, took good care of us and fixed the problems

I think if you go in and maintain a calm but stearn demeanor and lay out the facts of how they improperly fixed the first repair and the fact that you JUST passed over the 36K miles they will fix it as a warranty repair. You should also search any Nissan forums to see if this is a problem others have had and Nissan was aware of it. Any information you have to present the guy at the dealer will help. Be polite, firm and have your facts together and any needed documentation. If they don't wanna play nice mention you will be writing corporate about the problem. If that doesn't get you anywhere then write corporate Nissan USA and give a cc to whatever govt. agency oversees warranties.

It seems pretty obvious they did not correctly repair the diff the first time.

Good luck.
rick 918-S
Hi Joe,

I wonder if the Armada Has the same diff? We had the brake issue also. They fixed it and seemed to correct that issue the first time. We had the failed drivers outside handle also, and the factory trailer wiring was also replaced under warentee. I guess they were catching fire. ohmy.gif I expected a few issues as this is the first year for the Titan. We had an Xterra and towed the 916 with 6 people from Nor Cal to MN. Very under powered, but we never did anything to that rig except oil changes for the 60,000 plus thousand miles we had it.

It's over, Sandy doesn't want it anymore. Even if the dealer fixes it correctly she is not having anything to do with it.

I like the truck, but she's like "talk to the hand man!"
ws91420
Rick I saw a Titan on the road today and it looked like the diff was alot smaller than any other truck w/ a comprable(sp) size engine. Sorry to hear your problems. I had mine w/ a hardbody p/u in the late eighties. Fingers on the pressure plate broke just out of warranty, because my dad work for the dealership group he got them to give him the parts and he put them in, but the truck never did shift right after that.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(ws91420 @ Sep 23 2006, 05:56 PM) *

Rick I saw a Titan on the road today and it looked like the diff was alot smaller than any other truck w/ a comprable(sp) size engine. Sorry to hear your problems. I had mine w/ a hardbody p/u in the late eighties. Fingers on the pressure plate broke just out of warranty, because my dad work for the dealership group he got them to give him the parts and he put them in, but the truck never did shift right after that.

Ya, the center section looks small. It has a factory finned aluminum diff cover. Supposed to aid in cooling.... jerkit.gif
ws91420
What is the tow rating for the Titan?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(ws91420 @ Sep 23 2006, 06:05 PM) *

What is the tow rating for the Titan?

305 HP and 379 Ft LBs. of torque rated to tow 9,400 lbs with tow package we purchased as an option.
Mr.C
So Rick, what are you going to get in replacement?

So.Cal.914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 23 2006, 09:24 AM) *

BUT: The warentee book says if you bolt on NON Nissan approved accesories it voids your warentee. I have a plow frame bolted on. Hmmmm dry.gif confused24.gif dry.gif

I sure this has crossed your mind, unbolt the plow frame and remove it, pack

a little calking in the holes and touch it up. When paint is dry rub a little mud in the

area. What Plow?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Mr.C @ Sep 23 2006, 06:47 PM) *

So Rick, what are you going to get in replacement?

It's the wifes, She wants a old Jeep Wrangler confused24.gif With a plow. I figure if I can't drive the Alien I'm not going. We own the Titan, so we'll just put the cash difference in the bank til the collage bills start pouring in. A year from now we'll have two of them in collage.
JB 914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 23 2006, 03:56 PM) *

Hi Joe,

I wonder if the Armada Has the same diff? We had the brake issue also. They fixed it and seemed to correct that issue the first time. We had the failed drivers outside handle also, and the factory trailer wiring was also replaced under warentee. I guess they were catching fire. ohmy.gif I expected a few issues as this is the first year for the Titan. We had an Xterra and towed the 916 with 6 people from Nor Cal to MN. Very under powered, but we never did anything to that rig except oil changes for the 60,000 plus thousand miles we had it.

It's over, Sandy doesn't want it anymore. Even if the dealer fixes it correctly she is not having anything to do with it.

I like the truck, but she's like "talk to the hand man!"

I am almost positive they Armada and the Titan are identical with respect to the engine/drivetrain. the Armada has a 9600lb ( or something close to that ) towing. i've had to tow a few trailers w/ 914's and you barely knew you were towing.

But, if the boss says it goes, it goes!! Heck, make'em fix it and then dump it.

We had to have our brakes fixed several times because they did not have the new bigger brakes in stock for a few months. We just kept taking it back and they would turn the rotors and slap on new pads. once they got the new big brakes and rotors they called and we went in and had the upgrade. i believe they are the same ones that go on the infinity. We had it in enough to lemon law it, but, the wife loves the big beast. They fixed all the problems with no hassle.

Good luck with it. I like those new Toyota FJ cruiser's. Except the dealers out here are gouging about 8K over invoice for them. Maybe next year i'll trade in my Tahoe.
bd1308
Thanks Rick!
rick 918-S
I heard from the dealer today. The diff has broken spyders again. Man, that sux. I mean we bought the big tow, off road, locking diff, etc. I've never had a diff break. Not even in my 500 hp drag car. This is my wifes daily driver. It's a tar baby. Not like she would off road the thing. Sheezz!

BTW: I'm not convinced the dealer wants to warentee this. The service guy first ruled out the missing vent as a possible source of the failure. Then I started talking about how Nissan added the finned diff cover to help dissapate heat, and how an unvented diff could cause foaming of the lube. We both passed on that topic for a minute then he started to tell me he had to call Nissan and get their permission as he was unsure what they were willing to spend. I promptly asked him what the cost has to do with my 60,000 mile drive line warentee? He said "nothing really.. we just need to call if the bill is going to be more than a certain amount... At the end of our discussion I told him I hoped this wasn't going to take 6 weeks again like the first time. He assured me he would see if Nissan would over night the parts. We shall see....
GWN7
I wore out the one in my parts hauler...272K on it (98 Chev Z71) $2500 for all new parts (except the axels)...upgraded to a Dana posi
Ferg
dry.gif Hmmm, My 06 Xterra ate it's diff at 3k miles, was whining real bad, and they replaced it. It's got 12k on it now with no problems, have not towed with it, yet...

Ferg
Gint
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 25 2006, 09:37 PM) *

I heard from the dealer today. The diff has broken spyders again. Man, that sux. I mean we bought the big tow, off road, locking diff, etc.

There's your problem right there Rick. To my knowledge, the issue only exists with the spider gears in the locker of the diff that's offered in the offroad package or the towing package, I can't remember which. Whichever one has the locking diff.

Go check out one of the Nissan Titan forums. That's where I finally found some decent onfo. Can't remember which one now though.

Mine is the 4wd non-locker and towed my 914 to Portland and back with no issues. The truck now has 19k on it.

Aaron Cox
my dad has a 2wd non locking diff 4dr titan. love it.

towed lots of stuff already and no issues..../
maf914
I read in some car mag that Nissan rushed through the design and developement process with the Titan and Armada and ended up with a bunch of quality control issues as a resuly. But they wanted a full size truck and SUV to meet the demand as soon as possible. If you look in the Consumer Reports Issue with auto ranking and frequency of repair listings you will see quite a few average and below average rankings for these models.

I have a 2005 Nissan Frontier that I like quite a bit, but it too has had several recalls. I know you're not supposed to buy in the first year of a newly designed model, but my 1992 Nissan pick-up, was totaled when an electrical fire occurred in the engine compartment wiring harness. The truck's blue book value was only a few thousand dollars so the insurance company totaled it and paid me. I bought the new Frontier a couple of months later.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.