Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm gonna try to stick one of these in my 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mid_Engine_914
Seeing some of the pics of Chris Julian's V8 swap gave me renewed hope that I can make it work.

IPB Image

IPB Image
Mueller
done it......

mine was the 12v version......

it's a freaking tall motor, i ended up cutting the rear firewall/trunk wall.....

Kennedy Engineering has the adapter plate and flywheel
bd1308
YIKES!

One of my buddies keeps bugging me to do this swap.

I just cant get over the aircooled chugging.
Mueller
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Sep 22 2006, 10:32 PM) *

YIKES!

One of my buddies keeps bugging me to do this swap.

I just cant get over the aircooled chugging.

nothing personal, but if you have a hard time affording Type IV stuff, the VR6 stuff is pricey...yikes....
Mid_Engine_914
Yup, the rear firewall will definitely need to be cut and I figure the motor and tranny will have to be dropped at least four inches from the stock mounting positions. The 914 tranny is already mated to the VR6 (first pic) using KEP's adapter.
bd1308
I can get a 60k mile VR6 engine for $400 locally.

I also have two parts cars available to me for parts.

b
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(Mid_Engine_914 @ Sep 22 2006, 10:37 PM) *

Yup, the rear firewall will definitely need to be cut and I figure the motor and tranny will have to be dropped at least four inches from the stock mounting positions. The 914 tranny is already mated to the VR6 (first pic) using KEP's adapter.

Baja 914?

Well, if you're going to cut up the car then PLEASE FINISH THE PROJECT! Nothing worse than an owner cutting up a car with 'big plans' just to have them run out of steam and abandon (crush) the car sad.gif I've seen it happen w/too many cars (of all types). dead horse.gif
Mountain914
I loved the VR6 so much from my GTI, I had to get an R32 ! I love those engines !
Mueller
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Sep 24 2006, 09:20 AM) *

Baja 914?

Well, if you're going to cut up the car then PLEASE FINISH THE PROJECT! Nothing worse than an owner cutting up a car with 'big plans' just to have them run out of steam and abandon (crush) the car sad.gif I've seen it happen w/too many cars (of all types). dead horse.gif

not sure if that was directed at me or not biggrin.gif I sold my chassis which is getting a Boxster motor installed into.......it should be running pretty soon from the last time I spoke to him...
Mid_Engine_914
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Sep 24 2006, 08:20 AM) *

Baja 914?

I understand where you’re coming from but any changes made to the sheet metal will be relatively minor and easily reversed. I figure that I will have to cut the rear firewall only about a third of what was cut in this picture. I’m also keeping the 2.0L motor to put the car back to original in the unlikely case that 914s skyrocket in price.

IPB Image
YoungCC
Has anyone tried putting a 16V engine into the teener? Is it taller than the VR6? How are you running the radiator and AC?

Also which fuel sys are you using?
Bleyseng
Why bother....install a 1.8T motor thats chipped for 225hp.
jonwatts
agree.gif

unless you plan to turbo the VR6

idea.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Sep 27 2006, 06:46 AM) *

I agree, if'n I was going to do it again, I'd opt for the 1.8T instead.....now that I've driven a Suby conversion, I'd use one instead of the Audi/VW watercooled motors
YoungCC
Do any of you guys have any guidance on putting a water cooled VW engine in your teener?
Bleyseng
unless its 200hp why bother..........
Mueller
QUOTE(YoungCC @ Sep 27 2006, 08:44 AM) *

Do any of you guys have any guidance on putting a water cooled VW engine in your teener?

You buy an adapter plate and special flywheel from Kennedy Engineering (about $500) and make your own engine mounts....

for the radiator, you either buy a proven radiator/fan from Renegade Hybrids of you cobble up something on your own.

for water cooled conversions, they are all basicly the same...some motors fit better than others....grab a tape measure and hit the wreckers to see how the motor would fit ....normally straight 4 bangers are not a good fit unless you don't mind cutting the rear trunk a little...

depending on you skills, engine managment could be stock or aftermarket FI or even use the CIS that is used on some earlier water cooled VW engines...

there is a V8 conversion book available on eBay or the resource section that might be of help since it is targeted for the DIY'r conversion person...

if you cannot weld, or do electrical or be able to fab things yourself, then it might not be a project for you...it will not be a simple bolt-on project....
YoungCC
Does anyone else have any info on stuffing a watercooled VW engine (VR6, 16V) into the 914?
lotus_65
QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 27 2006, 08:18 AM) *

I agree, if'n I was going to do it again, I'd opt for the 1.8T instead.....now that I've driven a Suby conversion, I'd use one instead of the Audi/VW watercooled motors

1.8 turbo lag sucks ass! (i don't have experience with the suby though... maybe their better than the vw's)
i love the vr6... all torque, all day. i'd guess it would be really strong in a 2k lb car.
paroxysm
I have a g-60 in my 914, I will post pics sometime. I just finished the boost tubing, i hope to fire it up within the next couple weeks. It was quite the motor in my corrado so i hope it holds true for my 914, in my corrado I could stay with my friends 1.8t scirocco.

It fits way better than the vr or 1.8t in the picture, I eventually sliced a small piece of the firewall just to alow the one boost tube not to rub. I also used some v8 conversion parts specifically the tranny mounts, but I reversed them to move the motor forward. The other hting that I cut was for the intercooler, because I want fresh air , I place an mr 2 air vent behind the drivers door and the intercooler behind that.

I have measured for the 16v and the only real difference is the distrbutor will hit the firewall, but I think you could move it to the 8v location. In the near future I wil convert my 8v g-60 into a 16v g-60.
Joe Bob
Unless ya got pics...it didn't happen....

Post em,eh.... burnout.gif
pete-stevers
can you post pics of the g-60 in your teener
neo914-6
QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 27 2006, 07:18 AM) *

What's wrong with w/c Audi? laugh.gif Wasn't Bleyseng referring to the 1.8T A4 Audi? Sonu changed his to the 2.7TT like mine...

Oh and the Boxster conversion is way behind the 996 conversion which is behind a major home improvement project, I see progress (or lack thereof) regularly...
Mid_Engine_914
QUOTE(paroxysm @ Sep 30 2006, 09:52 AM) *

I have a g-60 in my 914, I will post pics sometime. I just finished the boost tubing, i hope to fire it up within the next couple weeks. It was quite the motor in my corrado so i hope it holds true for my 914, in my corrado I could stay with my friends 1.8t scirocco.

It fits way better than the vr or 1.8t in the picture, I eventually sliced a small piece of the firewall just to alow the one boost tube not to rub. I also used some v8 conversion parts specifically the tranny mounts, but I reversed them to move the motor forward. The other hting that I cut was for the intercooler, because I want fresh air , I place an mr 2 air vent behind the drivers door and the intercooler behind that.

I have measured for the 16v and the only real difference is the distrbutor will hit the firewall, but I think you could move it to the 8v location. In the near future I wil convert my 8v g-60 into a 16v g-60.

I would love to see some pics of your conversion especially the motor mounts etc.
paroxysm
I'll try to post pics tomorrow, I have been waiting for my digital camera to come back after the dog ate it. I just got it back this week so I'll run to my dads and take some pics tomorrow. The g-60 has a lysholm supercharger on it now so it's not really a gernade anymore, the motor made 200hp from 2000rpm to 5000 that was pretty much the same for torque, it feels like a v8. If I go 16v you can come close to 300hp and rev to 6500rpms. If you've never heard of a lysholm its basically a twin screw charger that sounds like a fire engine siren, search bahn brenner motorsports and you'll find the company that sells them. The siren sound is what killed my corrado, I had a srt-4 decide to show off and nail me into a telephone pole, it broke my leg in three pieces, I had to push my bone through my skin to get out of the car, thats why my progress on my car has been slow. The srt-4 driver was in his 40s and trying to impress his foster kid, lets just say he isn't a foster parent anymore.

theres almost no lag on my friends 1.8t scirocco he also runs an 8 pound fly wheel, it revs up to 7200rpms almost instantly, its insane. I could only imagine what it would be like in a 914, he can't get traction you can spin his tires thru three gears easily even with a lsd, thats why he's installing a syncro system in it.
paroxysm
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
Trying to add before and after photos of the corrado
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mid_Engine_914 @ Sep 22 2006, 10:26 PM) *

gave me renewed hope that I can make it work

how about you clean that motor/tranny and engine comp a bit? rolleyes.gif

nothing screams "hackjob" more than a dirty/greasy engine comp ...
poke.gif Andy
paroxysm
A g-60 in a 914IPB Image
the intercooler from a 1.8t
IPB Image
IPB Image
passenger mountIPB Image
drivers mountIPB Image
Mid_Engine_914
QUOTE(paroxysm @ Oct 1 2006, 09:17 AM) *

A g-60 in a 914

Thanks for the pics. It's definitely a unique swap and I'd be interested in hearing how your car performs when it's done.
Mid_Engine_914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 30 2006, 09:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Mid_Engine_914 @ Sep 22 2006, 10:26 PM) *

gave me renewed hope that I can make it work

how about you clean that motor/tranny and engine comp a bit? rolleyes.gif

nothing screams "hackjob" more than a dirty/greasy engine comp ...
poke.gif Andy

Those pics were from when I test fitted the motor to see if the swap was even possible. The plastic engine cover is still available new at the dealership for about $100 so I'll be getting a new one of those and I'll clean up the runners a bit and then the motor will look more like this second VR6 I have in my garage.

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.