Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drag racing is much worst than autocrossing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
URY914
Autocrossers get 3-5 runs that last somewhere around 60 seconds, with about 10 minutes between runs. At least this is what I get with my local boys.

I spoke to a friend who drag races with his son. It's bracket racing, run against your dail-in time. Sorta silly really. I thought the point was to go as fast as possible in racing? Anyway, their runs last 13 SECONDS and they wait a HOUR between runs. and they make THREE runs and if they break out they go home. I think I got that right. And they do it on Friday night after a day's work and they get home a 1:00am. Oh yea, it's on a straight as an arrow track!!! What a thrill, what a challange, what a joke.

And I thought what I did was silly, but that is stupid. barf.gif screwy.gif yellowsleep[1].gif

(sorry if I hurt any one's feelings)

Paul bye1.gif

914forme
Bracket racing is hard. It is a consistancy game, and you can be beat by .001 of a second. It has the disclipline of road racing as far as consistancy goes, with the twist of a rally type mentality.

there is an entire market built around braket racing, by far one of the most popular types of drag racing.

In 93 we did a braket racing at the Porsche Parade, it was fun, came down to an automatic 928, against something I can't remeber. Gary Willgesworth Sr. did pretty well in his 914-6GT, made it up close to the top. We ran the auto-x at edgewater dragway, so it was only natural to go out and play on a friday night. We brought in some locals, and they demoed what they could do. It was fun, and different.

But not my cup of Tea.
Joe Ricard
I get crap from the bubbas at work who don't understand Autocross.

It's either drag racing or oval dirt track.

THey keep wanting to race me having confidence thay can pound the 914 into the dirt or blow my doors off in the 1/4 mile.

Hmm. I'll drag race ya. But there has to be cones every 60 ft.
1st one down wins 2 second penalty for every cone.
914forme
Why not do it this way, say heck yeah I run yah, but then you have to come to my events and run what you brung. the launch out of the start gate would be fun, but the first turn, they would be in for a surprise!

I personnaly like all forms of motorsports, they all have specific disciplines that are required, it is interesting for me to try and figure them out. There is a lot to a dirt track oval racing. As well as a drag race or even, a Nascar race, the technology while some time seeming primitive, actually helps use along the way also.

I don't care what my friends or co-workers are into, as long as they are car people. If they like motorsports, then they are all right by me. Even if it is Vespa racing. burnout.gif
PeeGreen 914
I always get a kick out of all the guys who put the coffee can mufflers on their cars and think they have a fast car. Even better when I am driving the 6 down the road and they want to see who can go faster..... Have they never learned that the track is the place for racing, and my car is not made to just goes in a straight line? hehe.... give me a twisty road and I am gone in a second:D

I agree.... all racing is good..... but Drag and Nascar just don't get me going like the others.
byndbad914
I like all forms of racing (and like everyone else, like some more than others) as long as a fast car is involved. I used to drag race a lot when I was younger and like the feeling of the extreme acceleration.

I was told by a friend if I ever road raced, I wouldn't go back. Said he drag raced a lot as a young guy, was told the same thing, tried it and never looked back. He let me drive his Mustang at Willow and I too never looked back - I could accelerate like a mofo in 2 straights, and have to have skill to make a bend at high speeds (I am always surprised how many people can't "feel" the line). So I was addicted.

That said, I am not much of an autocross fan. Can't get going fast enough for me, though definitely technical and I appreciate that form of racing. If anything, look at the crazy car I have built - it would be the absolute worst autocross car on the planet biggrin.gif I have a big HP "short track" engine (roundy rounders know what I mean by that) wedged into a car best known for handling. So I can drag race my straights and hang on for dear life thru the corners.

I agree with 914forme - as long as they are a car person, they are cool with me. Excepting of course drifters - that is about as lame as it can get. When you are not racing but getting scored for "style"... well anyway, off topic rant... minus the fart-pipe crowd, they are cool with me.

Ultimately I do agree with the "short time, then wait forever thing" in drag racing sucking. I can go out to Willow and get five 1/2-hour sessions with ACRA/OTR guys and only wait an hour in between for 2 other groups to have their sessions. Lots of car time. Drag tracks are becoming scarce here in SoCal too; back when I was running there were a couple I frequented as I got a lot of passes in. Brackets are tough because once your out, your out. I didn't bracket race much, just went out to beat hell outta my Stang and get as many passes in as it could handle.
Matt Romanowski
I'm actually thinking of taking the 914 to NE Dragway tomorrow night for "Run What Ya Brung" Night. I know I'll get wupped, but it's something to do. Could be interesting. I think I'll get some guys to bring their diesel tow rigs too.

Matt
Brad Roberts
I all also enjoy all forms of racing. I have had the chance to experience most of them at one time or another.

Something about drag racing: You have to understand grip/traction and chassis setup JUST like Road racing and the such. To cut good 60ft times consistantly on an ever changing track requires a very special skill that few are capable of.

Here is how the chain of racing goes with the people I have dealt with.

1. Drag Race
2. Road Race
3. Dirt track

I know of at least 20+ people who have moved through the ranks like that. It comes down to $$ versus thrill. Driving a 700hp alcohol injected 1200lb WoO car with a wing is something NO road racing can compare too.

I dont think I will ever dirt track anything.. but it has crossed my mind.

My racing went like this:

Karts age 10-current
Drag racing age 15-26
AutoX age 18-current
Road racing age 18- off and on - current

I even had the chance to drag race bikes and run a IOGP boat on some lakes in Texas!!!

B
Crazyhippy
QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Sep 26 2006, 03:22 PM) *
*snip*
Excepting of course drifters - that is about as lame as it can get. When you are not racing but getting scored for "style"... well anyway, off topic rant... minus the fart-pipe crowd, they are cool with me.
*snip*

Drifting is to Road racing as Figure skating is to Hockey....

I've done hot laps in a few different dirt oval cars, and they are a Hoot. Best ride yet was a 800hp 1200lb non wing sprint. On a tight track it will carry the left front tire for laps at a time, and both front tires down the straights blink.gif drooley.gif

BJH
sww914
You can train a smart chimp to drag race. Green means go, right?
PBritain
i took my stock 1.7 to a drag race at irwindale just for fun. i got boo'ed out of the place. drag racing + 914 = not very good. lol
URY914
Drag racing is great for TV. Two cameras: one at the start and one at the finish. Done.

Road Racing is too complicated for most of America to watch and understand. Hence NASCAR and Drag racing.

Come on, you know it's true. cool_shades.gif

PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 29 2006, 12:38 PM) *

Drag racing is great for TV. Two cameras: one at the start and one at the finish. Done.

Road Racing is too complicated for most of America to watch and understand. Hence NASCAR and Drag racing.

Come on, you know it's true. cool_shades.gif

happy11.gif Oh so true. The shop I used to work at had one mechanic that LOVES Nascar. The rest of us like Formula and other street types of racing. Three of us race with PCA, and we all team up aginst him with his Nascar blah. Not to say we are better than he is, but we are alfred.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.