Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: After 1100 miles and 23 hours...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stepuptotheMike
I made it back from Ohio with my 914.

I got it off the trailer this morning and started going over it to assess the good and bad points. I snapped a bunch of pictures as well.

Couple of observations so far...
  • Dash looks to be in really good shape
  • Almost all fo the rust appears to be surface in nature
  • Wheels are in good shape
  • The hell hole is definitely going to need some work and I need to take some better pictures of its' condition.
  • Rear trunk appears to have just surface rust, but has had some metal riveted in on the upper left corner at some point.
  • Passenger side door opens and closes solidly and cleanly.
  • Drivers side door needs adjustment, but latches work.
  • front bumper has a crease just off center like it hit a pole or something
Here's the link to the album... Porsche914

IPB Image

My intention is to do a complete tear down and rebuild. I've done lots of work in the past with a jeep and a landcruiser, but this is my first Porsche and first complete restore so I'm sure I'm in for all kinds of fun.

I would greatly appreciate your comments and thoughts based on the pictures.

Regards,

Mike
ptravnic
welcome.png

Now get to work!!!

stepuptotheMike
Thanks,

Here's my first question.... the front lid cable is broken, so I have to manually pop it. I have pulled off the bumper, but I can't seem to get a screwdriver to pop the lock so that I can get the lid up. Am I missing something?

IPB Image

Mike
spare time toys
QUOTE(stepuptotheMike @ Sep 23 2006, 01:47 PM) *

Thanks,

Here's my first question.... the front lid cable is broken, so I have to manually pop it. I have pulled off the bumper, but I can't seem to get a screwdriver to pop the lock so that I can get the lid up. Am I missing something?

IPB Image

Mike

welcome.png

The first time I had to pop one open this way it took a while but I eventually got it. Just keep poking and twisting youll get it. wink.gif
effutuo101
there is that little hole, sometimes it takes a little time to get it. but you are in the right area. Mine took about 10 minutes of messing with it before I finally had it.
Joe Owensby
I live in Spartanburg, SC- about an hour from Charlotte. In fact, I paddled at the new whitewater park there today. I have a '73 that I bought new, but I left it out in the rain for many years while I was raising 4 children. I am now repairing the rust. It is hard to tell from the photos what shape your car is in. Once you start grinding into the rust, it seems to get deeper and deeper- at least on my car. I bought a parts car in Charlotte last spring, and after I dug into it, it had rust that had been covered up with paint, etc. No big deal to me, as I just wanted bolt on parts, but it certainly looked better than it was. I have posted a few photos of mine, somewhere here. I plan to do a blog, but haven't had time. I hope yours is in better shape. If not, I have a rotisserie that I hope to be freeing up soon.

good luck, and welcome to the club. Joe O.
stepuptotheMike
Joe, I am definitely interested in the rotisserie when you get done with it. I hope that as I continue to tear things down that I don't find too many surprises smile.gif

Shoot me a note if you are going to be up this way and feel like stopping by. I'm actually in Clover, SC
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.