Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: mother f-ing glass shop
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toon1
I took the teener to a glass shop to get the seal replaced. the guy there said it would be $80 and 1 hour, sounds reasonable, go ahead. I explained to him that I have the trim and all the clips are there, I will put it on later.

The work was finished and they cut three of the clips off on the driver side, there are two cuts on the inerior driver pillar from the knife and the pass pillar is stained from a solvent spray they used to get the old seal off. There is also a black spot on the driver seat from a drip of the primer used before they put on the butal tape.

They didnt have replacement clips and told me I can get them from the dealer. I told them, they cut them off why should I relpace them. He then told me " I will put the trim on for you if you get the clips. I said forget it, put the window in I will deal with it later.

I was going to do this job myself and should have but if the window was going to break I wanted to be on someone else.

I learned my lesson.

toon1
this ws the front winsheild, for got to mention that
North Bay 914
More bad news....the windshield has to come back out to install the clips for the trim...unless you glue down the trim, pillar molding is easy to find and cheap normally.
JPB
Hey hey, I was a MF for 10 years! Sorry about your glass thing, that realy sucks. sad.gif
toon1
QUOTE(North Bay 914 @ Sep 23 2006, 06:19 PM) *

More bad news....the windshield has to come back out to install the clips for the trim...unless you glue down the trim, pillar molding is easy to find and cheap normally.

I'm pissed about that too, I explained to them, to replace the clips, the winsheild has to be removed so the clips can be put in the holes. He said there are glue on type clips that will work but I want it done right. I want to take it back to them when I get new clips but not after today.
Rusty
Detail your damages: pictures, part numbers, prices from Porsche (or any aftermarket suppliers).

Odds are, they hear people complain all the time - from legitimate issues to people who bitch if they're dust or a glass chip on their carpet. There are glass shops who refuse to work on Porsches. A few years ago, I had a manager say to me "the cars are just too much trouble". The implication was that it wasn't the cars... but the owners.

Remember... everyone has a boss. Don't be afraid to call whoever that is. Calmly explain to them your concerns. If it's a chain store, ask to talk to the district manager.

I hope they fix it for you. You may have to help them source the parts, because the 914 is a speciality car. smile.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
TravisNeff
Sorry to hear that. My glass replacement wasn't much better this weekend. I provided the new clips and new trim corners and spacers. I think the corners need to go onto the glass before they install it. Mine weren't so they don't fit flush. He didn't want to replace the trim clips, but I insisted (he wanted to glue them in). Then it was time for the adhesive, he used about 2x as much as required, so now I see the adhesive through the glass and the trim doesn't cover it up. There are a couple of globs so big they went past the dash to windshield seal, so there is a 2" long booger coming into the passenger compartment.

When I went to sign the paperwork, I didn't look close - I saw a couple of things and was about to ask him to fix them - but then realized if this was already the best job he could do, I don't need him taking another stab at it. I will call the glass shop next week and have them come back out with a different installer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.