Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ran into Memo Gidley today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
nebreitling
so i drove out to the track at dixon today for more shake-down/practice. turnout was low due to a race at sears. just a few kids, some TAGs, and a handful of 80 shifters. and memo gidley in his trackmagic ICC. what a nice guy! totally humble, approachable, and helpful. gave me some some constructive input on setup and even had some nice things to say about my performance on track.

as if his performance in the rolex/cart/etc. wasn't evidence enough, let me tell that the man is a superb driver and athelete. seeing his precision and on-track discipline in person was inspiring.
grantsfo
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Sep 23 2006, 09:32 PM) *

so i drove out to the track at dixon today for more shake-down/practice. turnout was low due to a race at sears. just a few kids, some TAGs, and a handful of 80 shifters. and memo gidley in his trackmagic ICC. what a nice guy! totally humble, approachable, and helpful. gave me some some constructive input on setup and even had some nice things to say about my performance on track.

as if his performance in the rolex/cart/etc. wasn't evidence enough, let me tell that the man is a superb driver and athelete. seeing his precision and on-track discipline in person was inspiring.

Does he bring that wild Playboy trailer and the racer babes to karting events? biggrin.gif ....sounds like you got some valuable time from him.
Trekkor
Glad you had a good time out there.

I look forward to seeing you run someday.

When's your first practice at Sears?

KT
nebreitling

Does he bring that wild Playboy trailer and the racer babes to karting events? biggrin.gif ....sounds like you got some valuable time from him.

lol -- I wish. actually he drove a little toyota truck! totally humble.
Terrance
Nathan,

what class are you planning on running? I will be running Stock Moto with Russell at Infineon. I've seen Memo drive. He's so smooth with the kart.
nebreitling
80 limited, but I'm already planning on a move to ICC ($$$) in 2008.

Stock moto seems like an awesome class. 90% of the thrills for 50% of the money....
Brad Roberts
Nathan,

I joined the local indoor place for this winter. Signed up for several enduro's and will visit during lunch 2-3 times a week (they are 5-6 blocks from me)

We lost what has been up to this point my favorite track "Moran" a few months back. The owner caved to the big money being offered for the land. Sad to see it go.

Cool Meeting Memo. I read a good story in some mag not too long ago. He talked a lot about his karting and showed a few pics of him in the kart and loading/unloading his stuff.

I'm lucky to run with a few ALMS and GrandAm pro's down here. They call us up and invite us out quite a bit. I borrow an 80cc kart.

B
Terrance
wow, 80 to ICC. I've seen those ICC guys run. Pretty fast!

I gotta add 25lbs to my kart. I'm too light for my weight class.

BKLA
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Sep 27 2006, 03:21 PM) *

80 limited, but I'm already planning on a move to ICC ($$$) in 2008.

Stock moto seems like an awesome class. 90% of the thrills for 50% of the money....

My son runs 80 stock jr.

Don't go ICC unless you plan to spend a ton o' money on engines and plan to run nationals.

Spec 125 has a lot of support both regionally and nationally. Locally, they are thinking a restricted 125 for the junior class (13 - 15)

If you are ever up this way (Pats Acres or Mickeyville) give us a ring. Free lunch to teener's who race karts and travel up from the bay area on a race weekend! biggrin.gif
nebreitling

Don't go ICC unless you plan to spend a ton o' money on engines and plan to run nationals.

exactly....

thanks for the invite up -- i'm sure i'll make it up eventually.

yup, bummer about moran -- i'm sad I never ran it as i heard great things about it.
BKLA
[quote name='nebreitling' date='Sep 27 2006, 08:59 PM' post='782322']
[quote]
yup, bummer about moran -- i'm sad I never ran it as i heard great things about it.
[/quote]

Saw that writing on the wall once the track was completed. Property down there is crazy!

The new miller (utah) kart track looks fun as well. Not too far of a pull for you from the bay area.

Here's a link an aerial of the Mickeyville track (McMinnville - we call it "mickeyville")

http://portlandkarting.com/macktrack.htm

Pats Acres link

http://www.patsacres.com
Brad Roberts
My Moran story:

I attended my first event there with the 6SpeedOnline guys for a corporate day in the Moran rental karts. I promptly showed all the 6Speed Moran "veterans" how 914 people drive when they are in karts..LOL The Moran instructors asked me to "tone" it down. I was running up on people at twice their speed..LOL

Good times. I love karts. Always have.

B
jhadler
Hey Brad,

How is the indoor place where you go? We have one here in the Denver area, and I will never go back there. They place tire barriers around the pillars, but don't wrap or bind the tire stacks. Had a friend get bumped from behind, and he hit the tires head on, tires separated like they weren't even there, and he hit the pillar full on. Bruised heart, cracked SA helmet, and a concussion. Track management didn't lift a finger to help or pay. Blew it off and pointed at their "waiver"....

And he (my friend) is a very experienced road racer and autoxer.

Anyway, I know there are some great indoor facilities, but there are also some not so good ones.

A few years ago, I was on the fence about getting a shifter kart. Really, really close. But I decided against it as I really wanted to be able to take passengers and instruct. Would have been a 125cc machine... Even had one I had my eye on... And we have two really nice outdoor tracks right here....

-Josh2
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.