Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for a New Silver 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dsmeyer
I have been looking for a Truly rust free Silver 914 for over a year now.
I have seen a few really nice low mileage original cars, but never in Silver.
All of the "rustfree" cars that I have looked at were not.

I live in Michigan where nice 914s are really rare.

I could restore another 914 and spend 10-20K to do it right, or just pay that much for one of those
nice original cars.

I would like a '73 or '74. A 2.0 would be nice but rustfree and Silver are more important.

So my question is... should I keep looking for a nice car, or just build another one?
Are there "lots" of them on the west coast if you're willing to "pay the price"?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(dsmeyer @ Oct 29 2003, 07:20 PM)
... I have seen a few really nice low mileage original cars, but never in Silver. ...
I would like a '73 or '74. A 2.0 would be nice but rustfree and Silver are more important.

Porsche had a real spate of bad luck with silver in the late 70's, espeially in the lower lattitudes. they recalled a whole bunch of 911's and paid for repaints. you may find a nice, silver car, but i bet it's not a nice car with original silver paint - they crazed, mottled, yellowed, and splotched horribly.

i have seen several original silver cars - but that's been 25+ years now ... i don't think i've seen a 914 on the road since June ....
vortrex
talk anthony into selling his so he can get his dream black car.

looks like jim already sold his sweet original silver car in the classifieds??
dsmeyer
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Oct 29 2003, 11:40 PM)
QUOTE(dsmeyer @ Oct 29 2003, 07:20 PM)
... I have seen a few really nice low mileage original cars, but never in Silver. ...

Porsche had a real spate of bad luck with silver in the late 70's, espeially in the lower lattitudes. they recalled a whole bunch of 911's and paid for repaints. you may find a nice, silver car, but i bet it's not a nice car with original silver paint - they crazed, mottled, yellowed, and splotched horribly.

i have seen several original silver cars - but that's been 25+ years now ... i don't think i've seen a 914 on the road since June ....

A car that was repainted properly would be OK, as long as it was Silver to begin with.
boxstr
The silver car in the classifieds is once again availble. The one Jim Chambers has listed.The guy was going to drive up from Texas Friday to look at the car and drive back for work by Monday. Anyway this is a very nice one owner car, original silver with one repaint
CCL
anthony
talk anthony into selling his so he can get his dream black car.

Yeah, find me a black car in the same condition and I'll trade ya!

IPB Image
Brad Roberts
Don,

Rich is 100% correct. I have never seen an original silver 914. Even the Silver M471 9146 with 14k miles in the shop was repainted in the early 70's not too long after it arrived on the boat from Germany.

Silver is hard to find. You may end up buying a decent silver car and building it up.

I found Jenny's Silver 73 tub for free... but it was gutted.

I have a silver..ery blue 73 2.0 that will be very nice when I'm done. Its more silver than blue. I forget the actual color name.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for a west coast car for you.

B
machina
My car (silver) was repainted. Originally it was that lime green color. The chassis is in excellent shape. It spent its first 15 years in new mexico and its last 15 years garaged here in fla, owned by a PCA member and past PCA region president.

I wanted a good chassis to build the racecar. Paid a little more but it was worth it. We put a lot of time in these things.

dave
Porsche Rescue
Just realized my ad expired. Go to the classifieds "cars for sale" and search "76 2.0". The ad will appear.
One woman owner. She told me the paint failed early in its life and it was repainted. Confirms what people are saying about Porsche silver metallic of the '70's. This car is as close to rust free as they get.
Brad Roberts
It just needs springs... LOL sorry Jim. I'm feeling like a bastard today.

B
Porsche Rescue
Or the front needs to be lowered, or both!
Brad Roberts
Sell it. It looks like a nice car.

B
redshift
Oh man, I want that one too.

I need 2 more cars.

M
p914
There is a V8 conversion in the classifieds for sale that is really nice. It is in Nevada.
Queenie
QUOTE(redshift @ Oct 30 2003, 02:51 PM)
Oh man, I want that one too.

Me too. What a cutie. wub.gif
jarbuthnot
I can't believe it. When I was talking about getting a silver one, everyone talked up the Tangerine Dream. Once I bought it, he's now got a silver one?? laugh.gif That's ok, everyone can see me coming and going. By the by, Maine doesn't recognize tangerine as a car color, so it's now 'officially' orange.
Porsche Rescue
At least you tell it like it is. How can anyone call this car phoenix RED with a straight face.

Honest, I only came upon the silver car by accident and I didn't even know it existed when you were in Oregon. It would have been perfect for you (if you like late style black bumpers and vinyl sail panels). Owned by a female school teacher since new (she is even older than us!). She is a friend of a woman who works with Jan and heard I was a 914 nut. Made me an offer I couldn't refuse. A fellow in Michigan is interested. Can I call myself an "exporter"?
redshift
STOP IT! I want that one too! I have got to get out of this place!

M
jarbuthnot
QUOTE(jim9146 @ Oct 30 2003, 10:16 PM)
It would have been perfect for you (if you like late style black bumpers and vinyl sail panels).

I like the Tangerine Dream better and I'm not too fond of the black bumpers and sails.
ppickerell
There is a silver 914-6 on Craigslist right now for $15,900 that looks nice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.