Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter Removal Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
I need to replace my starter and removing the bolt on top looks impossible without removing the engine - what is teh secret or do I need to remove the motor? Access looks tough, but coming at it from the other side of the car and it does not even look like I can get a wrench on the bolt or even turn it if I could - HELP?
Mueller
it is a NUT on the engine side that you remove......

either 15mm or 17mm
Dr. Roger
i use 2 or 3 socket extensions and that brings my ratchet out behind the transaxle. no problem.

a wobble extension makes it even easier.

good luck.

ConeDodger
I just want to say thanks to Mike and Roger. So many times when I see someone ask a simple question like this I see an answer or two to the effect - check the archives or ha ha you're stupid. Very cool that you respectfully answered.

Maybe all the A-holes are at some event? Nah... JK! I'm not jelous no... really. biggrin.gif
turboman808
I took one out on a 4 but for some reason I just can't see it on my 6. I have to get it on a lift and use the long extension.

I could probably do it in the driveway but Ray has given us wonderful use of a lift and I hate to be on my back so I will wait til I get it one the lift.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Sep 24 2006, 08:27 PM) *

I took one out on a 4 but for some reason I just can't see it on my 6. I have to get it on a lift and use the long extension.

I could probably do it in the driveway but Ray has given us wonderful use of a lift and I hate to be on my back so I will wait til I get it one the lift.

On the six it is in the same spot. I have had a spat of starter problems lately so I have become quite aware of the locations and what not...
On my six it is in the same spot, it is the same starter in fact. However, on the six, I do not recall having to go up into the engine compartment and go after a nut. I may be wrong, but I think I just turned both the upper and lower bolt off from underneath...
Mueller
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Sep 24 2006, 05:51 PM) *

i use 2 or 3 socket extensions and that brings my ratchet out behind the transaxle. no problem.

a wobble extension makes it even easier.

good luck.

Rogers advices really does not help "that" much...his car is a V8 conversion which places all the hardware on the transmission side...nothing in the engine bay starter related wink.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.