Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Screw this....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
OK getting ready to clean up the teener before putting him away for the winter. One of the things I want to do is pull the rocker panels off and clean all the dirt & crap out from behind them. The PO did this last year (got pic's) but he riveted them back on. I don't want to rivet them back on since I plan to make this part of my yearly "deep clean" of the teener.

My plan was to drill out the rivets and use sheet metal screws to put the covers back on. Good idea?
Is there something better to use?

- Garold

Is there anything I should do to the longs since I will have the covers off? Would a good coat of wax help keep them from rusting? During the PPI the longs looked great, no rust and very very solid. I want to keep them that way.
campbellcj
I don't think you really even need to replace the rivets. The upper screws at each end and the series of lower screws seems to hold them on just fine; I think the riveting was kind of a case of "over-fastening", probably to minimize rattles or buzzing. Like I could hear any rattles over the engine anyway, LOL.

If the paint is sound on the rockers then a good cleaning and perhaps a light coat of wax should be fine. If there is any surface rust or bare metal showing, then I would break out the POR-15.
TheCabinetmaker
Hex head, self drilling, self tapping sheet metal screws on the top. Toss the cheese head screws on the bottom and replace with hex head bolts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.