Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New race tow eye prototype....thoughts?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlee1967

I have been asked multiple times for a bolt on solution for those weekend warriors who occasionally take their car to the track, want to be in compliance with the track rules, but don't want to do permanent damage to their car.

I made up a short run batch of a bolt on 2" race eye. This bolts to the front (right) torsion bar attachment bosses in the same fashion as my tie downs and also my tow bar bracket. In fact, this new eye is also "stackable" with either of those two products. You will notice in the picture, that this car has the tie down eyes and the race eye is sandwiched.

Please offer your feedback on this item. At this time I propose making them in 3/16" A36 steel with a red powdercoated finish similar to the Miata eyes on my e-commerce site. This is a good compromise between straight pull strength and weight. I could make them in 1/4", but we don't net much there.

In the attached photos, you will also see a shot from directly above the bumper area to show that the unit does not stick out past the bumper. It will protrude from a spoiler, but not further than the bumper to stay compliant.

The only downside I see with this unit is that it is rather low. If you bury it deep in the gravel trap, you might have to shovel back some gravel to get to the eye. My track car has an eye about mid bumper level, but that of course required some fabrication, drilling holes and stiffening my front panel on the car. Not what a driver wants to do to a street car or a dual purpose car.

Feedback please.....

type.gif

PS....I also have a design for a rear eye for early and late cars, but I saw that another 914Club member was making some, so I have chosen to keep those off my website as a courtesy to them.

Taildraggers.....I also built a similar eye for your vehicles, but I am waiting to get my test mule to verify proper fitment.....

welder.gif

Thank you David Lee
dlee1967
From above......no bumper fitted...
dlee1967
Another....
dlee1967
Last.....
neo914-6
David,

Will it work with the stock valance on?
dlee1967
Felix, only if you cut a hole in the valance.....Don't do it to a stock steel valance......Save the valances........Cut up a fiberglass unit. DLee
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.