Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Center Console: Measurements?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brian Mifsud
sawzall-smiley.gif Has anyone measured and made up a drawing of the center console? I'm a pretty decent woodworker and one for my '76 which was never equipped. I'd like also to toss that crappy plastic chunk of foam.. the quasi-armrest, so thought I'd integrate it with the OEM style center console.

Thanks
eg914
I have a link to a french 914 site, but it no longer works. The main site seems to be fine.

http://914france.ifrance.com/914france/console.htm

There were 10 gif files with dimensions in mm. I hope I have attached them.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I wish that I had the authors name, to give credit where due. It may be that the link above is only temporarily out of order. Good luck
Dave_Darling
Bill, thanks for saving those measurements!!

--DD
Brian Mifsud
clap56.gif clap56.gif Tremendous!!! clap56.gif

Brian Mifsud
Does anyone know what the angle is for the side panels, as described by lines ED to DC? (on drawings "Figure #1 and Figure #2) I can figure out the rest by measuring the actual space inside the car, but with now real console to use as a pattern, I'd just be guessing otherwise.

Thanks
Matt Meyer
It is about 105 degrees.

I have a cad drawing made from the website if you want it and can open AutoCAD .dwg files.
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(Matt Meyer @ Sep 25 2006, 08:10 AM) *

It is about 105 degrees.

I have a cad drawing made from the website if you want it and can open AutoCAD .dwg files.

That would be a great time saver. thanks Matt
Always Looking
Great info. What wood are you, Brian, going to use. I was thinking of mocking one up in cardboard today.

Dan
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Brian: I have some old console sides ,that arn't any good to me. laying around
pay just shipping and you can have the orginials to work from. The place ment of the kick back on the drivers side is important ,or your foot gets in the way of everthing. Let me know. Dave slap.gif
t collins
QUOTE(Matt Meyer @ Sep 25 2006, 07:10 AM) *

It is about 105 degrees.

PM sent
Thanks,
Tom
Plaindaner
QUOTE(BarberDave @ Sep 25 2006, 12:39 PM) *

smilie_pokal.gif
Brian: I have some old console sides ,that arn't any good to me. laying around
pay just shipping and you can have the orginials to work from. The place ment of the kick back on the drivers side is important ,or your foot gets in the way of everthing. Let me know. Dave slap.gif

agree.gif I just had my console out last week to install a pair of 5-1/4" mid-bass woofers. I was concerned about foot room as well. Ends up that the console cluster is shallow enough that I placed the woofers right up front, far away from my foot access. Oh, and they are soooo sweet!
McMark
One of the measurements on the French drawing is WRONG... sad.gif

but I don't remember which one. pinch.gif
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 17 2007, 01:54 AM) *

One of the measurements on the French drawing is WRONG... sad.gif

but I don't remember which one. pinch.gif

One thing I CAN contribute to this forum is a good set of drawings. I have a good original console now. I'll measure it and then compare it to the French drawing.

Between the two, I will make up a new set that are accurate and post them here for all to use.
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(Always Looking @ Sep 25 2006, 09:52 AM) *

Great info. What wood are you, Brian, going to use. I was thinking of mocking one up in cardboard today.

Dan

Hi Dan,

The "5mm Exterior Hardwood" ply found at Home Depot is tempting, but I wouldn't recommend it. I did the "boil test" on it to see if it was worthwhile for marine applications (good marine or exterior grade ply will withstand being boiled indefinitely). The sample fell apart in one hour.

No the 914 isn't a marine application... BUT, the temperature swings inside a car a very brutal. Add a little humidity swing, and your console will probably start warping after the first summer.

"First Class" is some marine ply made from "Okuome" or "Meranti". You can find it in 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, etc thicknesses. Pricey starting at $30/40 sheet for thin stuff.. but it is very stable and won't move on you. Perhaps, while you are in there, you can build some really nice new door panels too?

"Second Best" is MDO (Medium Density OVERLAY) plywood. Used for signmaking (NOT MDF Medium Density Fiberboard). I belive 1/4" is a thin as you can buy it, but it is also dimensionally stable, water and weather proof, and more readily available all over the country.

If you "must" go "cheap" using the Home Depot stuff.. make sure you seal it really well with some polyurethane after you've completed the last cut. Don't let the moisture migrate in or out (epoxy is best.. but the cost of using that negates the "savings" of using cheap plywood).

dr914@autoatlanta.com
We had made some big slabs of metal years ago that we use to precisely cut the consoles to the original dimensions. They work great! We also make the metals to bolt it all together.
roadster fan
I was reading thru this thread after seeing Beamer13's console he built. I noticed that McMark said one of the measurements is incorrect on the french drawing. I believe it is the one circled in the pic below. I think it is 280mm not 380 mm as listed but I will have to duplicate the drawing in CAD to verify or do a little math i guess.

Hope this helps, if I find out for sure what that measurement is, I will let everyone know.

Jim

Click to view attachment
johannes
Theese drawings came from the old french club' website.

I am in charge of the new site and have saved and moved the drawings on our new forum.

you can find them here

http://porsche914.fr-bb.com/articles-techn...entrale-t15.htm

welder.gif
Beamer13
I don't suppose by some chance, you might have a copy of this translated into English?? I know, I know... I'm bein lazy :-) What do I need to read it for anyway? Right??? :-)
Rick_Eberle
QUOTE(Beamer13 @ Nov 27 2007, 07:40 PM) *

I don't suppose by some chance, you might have a copy of this translated into English?? I know, I know... I'm bein lazy :-) What do I need to read it for anyway? Right??? :-)

Try this thread...
zymurgist
Dr Evil has a cool (non-OEM) console.
beech4rd
QUOTE(Always Looking @ Sep 25 2006, 09:52 AM)

Dan

The plywood used in a factory console is a 5 ply 10 mm (3/8") material with a 5 mm (+- 3/16") layer of foam bonded to it. The plywood looks like Baltic Birch, which is a very stable and somewhat expensive plywood we use in our shop when we need a plywood that can really be relied upon. It's usually available in good lumber yards- the ones that have survived the Home Depot onslaught. I believe it's imported from Europe.

Chris
roadster fan
Well, I took some time tonite and looked over the drawing and accompanying chart and noticed the chart has the correct measurement for LM. It should be 290 mm not 380 mm.

I just needed to look at all the info supplied. Glad I noticed that before wasting time in CAD duplicating the drawing.

Jim

Click to view attachment
johannes
Thank you for checking. I updated the drawing on the french website.
http://porsche914.fr-bb.com/articles-techn...entrale-t15.htm
For those who asked ... I don't have any translation for instance

The french guy ...

IPB Image
Matt Meyer
I have CAD drawings for this console.

On my drawing the "wrong" dimension came out to 286.15mm.

Anyway, you can't post DWG files so PM me if you want my CAD files.
Matt Meyer
So is K-L-E a straight line?

If not how do you know the position of L and M?

Trying to correct my drawing.

I can't remember what I did the first time I drew it.
McMark
Matt, I take KLE and GMF to be straight lines.

I've also added DWG files to the list of acceptable attachments. So you can post your CAD files here.
roadster fan
Matt,

I agree with McMark. I believe KLM and GMF to be straight lines. The passenger side of the console does not have the kickback and the drawing indicates a straight line. LM is designated to show where the kickback begins for the driver's side.

Oh, and McMark thanks for adding another acceptable file type for attachments. Let the CAD files fly!

Jim
Matt Meyer
QUOTE(roadster fan @ Nov 29 2007, 12:22 AM) *

Matt,

I agree with McMark. I believe KLM and GMF to be straight lines. The passenger side of the console does not have the kickback and the drawing indicates a straight line. LM is designated to show where the kickback begins for the driver's side.

Oh, and McMark thanks for adding another acceptable file type for attachments. Let the CAD files fly!

Jim

That is what I thought, but in my original I had a slight dip on top. In theory it should be OK but I'll probablly redraw everything to the left of the kickback just to be sure. I'll fix my drawing tomorrow and post it.

Thanks guys. I'll try to post a full size pdf also.
Beamer13
QUOTE(Matt Meyer @ Nov 29 2007, 07:25 PM) *

QUOTE(roadster fan @ Nov 29 2007, 12:22 AM) *

Matt,

Jim

That is what I thought, but in my original I had a slight dip on top. In theory it should be OK but I'll probablly redraw everything to the left of the kickback just to be sure. I'll fix my drawing tomorrow and post it.

Thanks guys. I'll try to post a full size pdf also.

That'd be awesome!!! Thanks!!
CptTripps
I seem to be good at digging up old threads...

Did anyone end up posting the CAD files anywhere? I'm mocking up my new console in Sketchup, and this would be a way easier starting point.
RJMII
Is this looking correct?
Harpo
Those CAD files would be nice. I would like to make this out of aluminum and just weld it all together. With the cad files I would have it water jet cut for me.

Matt was active a few days ago. Has anyone sent him a PM about these cad files?

Edit: I sent him a PM

David
RJMII
I've about got my CNC router table set back up to where I can cut mine out of wood. :-)

Should I keep plugging away at new CAD drawings, or should I wait for Matt?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.