Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What a stud!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eddie914
I have a set of BBS Motorsport 3-piece 16x8/9" wheels I'm planning on using on the 914/6. These came from a 930. I have 65mm wheel studs and they are not long enough on the rear due to the extremely thick centers. I obtained some 100mm studs. A little bit to long in my opinion. I'm always worried about cross-threading a lug nut with an air wrench so I decided to modify the 100mm studs.
Eddie914
100mm, modified 88mm, 65mm & stock 911 53mm stud
Eddie914
Close-up of bullet shaped end modification.

It should be pretty tough to cross thread a lug nut on this wheel stud.
messix
sweet!
URY914
So how did you do it?

Grinder or belt sander?
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(Eddie914 @ Sep 24 2006, 10:09 PM) *

Close-up of bullet shaped end modification.

It should be pretty tough to cross thread a lug nut on this wheel stud.

Eddie nice work. Tool post grinder?
ClayPerrine
This is done all the time in NASCAR... they put a long guide on the stud, and use Gorilla Snot (AKA 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive) to glue the lug nuts in the holes of each wheel.

So they shove the wheel on, and hit the bolts with the impact. The stud guides the nut onto the threads.

BTW.. it's a really good idea.
Eddie914
I used a cut-off wheel to first shorten the stud by 13mm. The stud was then chucked up in a lathe and turned. It was finished with a file while turning in the lathe.

What type of finish can be put on the end to resist corrosion and rust. I don't think paint will last too long. What is the finish as they come from the factory?

Bluing?
Phosphate?
Parkerizing?

How about soaking in Tri-Sodium-Phosphate?

Eddie
Eddie914
I found this regarding Black Phosphate Finish.

http://www.epi.com/black-oxide/hot-oxide-blackening.html#400

"used @ 285 degrees F"

Eddie
maf914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 25 2006, 06:45 AM) *

This is done all the time in NASCAR... they put a long guide on the stud, and use Gorilla Snot (AKA 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive) to glue the lug nuts in the holes of each wheel.

So they shove the wheel on, and hit the bolts with the impact. The stud guides the nut onto the threads.

I am always impressed with the speed the tire changers can hit five lugs with their air guns. thumb3d.gif

I've always thought the pit stops in Nascar, IRL, Champ Car, ALMS, etc. are more intertaining with only 5 or 6 guys doing the work in as short a time as possible, as opposed to Formula 1 where 20 to 30 guys are waiting to do the same work. What a bunch of pansies! laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.