Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT, Laptop Computer Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
So when my kids use my computer and run the battery down....damn thing won't boot back up.

I jumpered the motherboard after removing the Lithium battery, RAM and Hardrive and got it to run....I'm thinking the motherboard battery is toast?

Can I get another battery and solder it in?
bd1308
dont run the main battery down?

Most of the motherboard batteries arent soldered in, most are 3 wire batteries and some have wierd voltages.

If you can find a exact replacement, use it.

Joe Bob
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Sep 25 2006, 06:38 AM) *

dont run the main battery down?

Most of the motherboard batteries arent soldered in, most are 3 wire batteries and some have wierd voltages.

If you can find a exact replacement, use it.

Yeah try explaining that to a 10 year old......anyways, I have a call into the tech support dorks at PC Club.....I'll see what they say.
bd1308
Good Luck!

Hope you know how to speak arabic
anthony
If you plug it back in for like 1-2 minutes, will it boot up after that? Some laptops won't boot if the charge is too low.
Joe Bob
Nope....it was zombie like....it won't completely boot up with AC power or with battery power or both. Until I shorted the jumper cable on the mother board under the RAM....I got nothing. Works great now.....

It would power up, light would go on, fan would cycle for total of 4 seconds, click twice and then just sit there......kinda like A-ron on a date....%^B

Only way to power down was to disconnect the battery and/or the AC adapter.

At first I thought it was a power supply problem.
dinomium
That is not a good sign. I know that when our IBM lappys start doing that, they don't live very long. Sounds like you have a cell on your big battery that is going south.

On IBMs, the battery for the motherboard is located under the Modem card or the Vidi ram SIM. SO, the answer to your battery on the motherboard question is: It depends. What brand is it? Also how old?
I have used these guys for out of warrenty batterys... Battery Mart
Joe Bob
Cell on the Lithium main Battery? Even if it was gong bad.....simply plugging in the AC power would restore full power to the motherboard...I'm more leaning toward the MB back up battery.

bd1308
yeah, sometimes its even a button cell battery

like a CR2025 or a CR2032 cell.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.