Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New member.... Have question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rtalich
I just bought a '74 2L 914 and was wondering if I made a mistake.... I've been looking for one for a few months and they sell fast so when this one came along I snatched it. Now I'm having second thoughts.... The car is in great shape, the motor seems to run great (except when cold... Is that normal?), shifts great. Its been a while since I've owned an older car like this and I've forgotten all the little quirks they come along with. Would it be worthwhile to take it somewhere to have someone check it out? Or is it too late for that? Can someone recommend a good shop in the Redmond/Bellevue, WA area?

Thanks...
1970 Neun vierzehn
I'm too far away to make any specific recommendations for a 914 inspection or check, however I can say.... welcome.png
rmital
...maybe the AAR (auxilary air regulator) is plugged and you'll just need to step on the gas for a while to warm up.

do a search on the AAR and you'll get more info on it.

and.....

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
anthony
The first thing I would do with a new to me 914 is replace all the vacuum hoses (costs less than $20) and then do a full tune-up and set everything to factory specs.
BMXerror
Well, if you want a confortable, sporty, and RELIABLE car, you're probably going to spend a lot more than you did for the 914. However, if you take your teener to a shop, you'll just spend the same amount of money(or more) there. I say do the work yourself. It's a pretty simple car and it doesn't sound like you have any major problems to sort out. Plus, the people on this board are super helpful when it comes to that kind of stuff. Most of us enjoy the wrenching just as much as driving. So get yourself a Haynes manual and ask a lot of questions. I see that your first post was a question, so you're off to a good start.
I would agree that the best thing to do with ANY car after a recent purchase is to tune it up, and definately new vacuum hoses on the 914. Also carefully check all the fuel hose for it's condition. The 914 fuel system runs on rather high pressure, and there have been quite a few car fires from people letting their fuel hose rott. Other than that, it sounds like you've got a pretty good little sportscar over there. And let me be the first to say thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
and the second to say welcome.png
Mark D.
mstein95
Bring it to your local group meeting (see link below) and get your questions answered as well plenty of opinions and insights.

welcome.png
Bleyseng
I am in Seattle and can give you an honest opinion/inspection on the car.

Shops-

Aker's Porsche- on Broadway in Seattle

European Racing in Redmond

If you want to go racing- Fordahl's shop in Redmond
rtalich
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Sep 25 2006, 01:04 PM) *

I am in Seattle and can give you an honest opinion/inspection on the car.

Shops-

Aker's Porsche- on Broadway in Seattle

European Racing in Redmond

If you want to go racing- Fordahl's shop in Redmond

Great... thanks for the info. Maybe we can meet for lunch some time this week. Supposed to be nice all week. Is that something you'd be interested in?

Does anyone know if the Autohaus Vick shop in Redmond/Bellevue is any good?

Thanks,
Rob
Spoke
QUOTE(rtalich @ Sep 25 2006, 11:25 AM) *

the motor seems to run great (except when cold... Is that normal?)

Does the engine have Fuel Injection or carbs? Some carbs don't have a choke which makes cold running quite interesting. Welcome to the club and a way of life.

Spoke
rtalich
It has the fuel injection...
Bleyseng
The only place I know of so far that keeps the stock FI running without effinit up in Akers. The other places I have seen some of their work and alfred.gif

Yeah, we can meet for lunch this week. Let me know when and hopefully right by I90.
rtalich
My schedule is pretty flexible. Why don't you choose the place and time to make things easier for you.

Thanks
Bleyseng
I am going out to Issaquah tomorrow so where can we meet for lunch near you?
rtalich
How about the XXX in Issaquah at 11:45?
Bleyseng
ok, I'll be in a green Westy
Bleyseng
I met up at the XXX and checked out the 914 74 2.0L.

Nice car, recent new paint, great interior, a little surface rust under the battery tray but all in all a really nice car. Good buy.

here is a pic

Hopefully he will show up at the local NW Teener Tuesdays and AXing in the future

(more meat for Troy's stories)
messix
hey geoff watch out or your next!

welcome to the non-club club. the puget sound teeners are a great bunch of guys. they are a great resource for info and parts. some of these old farts have been driving these cars since they were built! some guys have there own private junk yards too!
so you really should come out to a teener tuesday get together or on a weekend road run. just check out the teener tuesday thread [link is lower right].
Bleyseng
KMA.gif

when is the next NorthSoundTeenerTuesday Troy? BBQ at your crib? jsharp.gif
messix
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Sep 28 2006, 08:09 AM) *

KMA.gif

when is the next NorthSoundTeenerTuesday Troy? BBQ at your crib? jsharp.gif

i wont be making it to teener tuesday's for another five weeks unless there in snohomish. i'm coaching my daughters soccer team and pratice is on tuesday night.
so if it's up to me the next one is at the buzz inn at harvey airfield in snohomish at 7pm.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.