Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Caliper Adjuster Pics
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
Here's some pics of the adjuster mechanism that is pressed into the rear caliper pistons. You have to pull it out with a lot of force and press it back in with a lot of force. Very nerve wracking!

Brad Roberts
The spring/cam you didnt understand makes the piston auto adjust to the wear of the brake pad. Basically it ratchets the same mechanism you adjust to set the venting clearance to keep the clearance constant with pad wear.

B
Rusty
At the top of the assembly is a split-ring, that is held in place by 4 tabs.

If you forget to put the pads back in after bleeding and pad replacement, and start to pump the brakes - you can snap that split ring or one of the tabs!

The symptom will be that the piston won't retract properly. Don't ask how I found that out.

-Rusty smoke.gif
fiid
What's the best way of getting the back cover from the brake caliper off? I have stripped the allen hole, and am trying to get some liquid wrench in there.

Would you recommend putting this thing back in, or leaving it off for easier adjustment?

Fiid.
McMark
You can use a punch or a chisel to get it loosened up. You have to replace it or the adjuster will fall out. The ones that parts places are nice, but I like the original ones. With a little bit of high temp antiseize they shouldn't stick.
fiid
I was thinking of replacing it with the steel ones... how are they?

I cut a big slot in the top of it with the dremel tool and then hammered on it with a screndriver at an angle. Once it "broke" the thread rolled out easily, but the top is toast and I need something to replace it.

I think I am going to head to sears and invest in some allen sockets soon.

Thanks for the advice! You guys all rock. clap56.gif

Fiid.
maf914
Many years ago I replaced the adjuster cover threaded allen plugs with hex head plugs offered by Tweeks and Automotion. They work fine. The allen plugs, which are some soft metal, had become become rounded and difficult to remove.

Mike
davep
I found a VW part that is identical to the original except for the hex key size. The number is at home, so I can't tell you now. The other trick is that the calipers originally used a copper washer under the cap. The first step I use to remove the cap is to hammer it, causing it to loosen up. Then I use something to clean the crud out of the socket before using the Allen key. If there is too much crud in there, you don't get enough engagement. I like to make sure my Allen keys are in good shape, and I like to get the rounded tip removed to improve engagement. Does anyone know of a source for the internal gear?

DaveP
McMark
The internal gear is the same on all the models, so anyone who sells used parts should have them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.