Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's this in my headlights?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1970 Neun vierzehn
If you look very closely, you will see very small accumulations of what appears to be fine white powder on the inside surface of my Cibie H-4s. It does not seem to adversely affect the lighting characteristics, however. If you tap gently on the lense surface, it sometimes drops to the bottom of the h/l shell. Any ideas?
mihai914
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Sep 25 2006, 05:00 PM) *

If you look very closely, you will see very small accumulations of what appears to be fine white powder on the inside surface of my Cibie H-4s. It does not seem to adversely affect the lighting characteristics, however. If you tap gently on the lense surface, it sometimes drops to the bottom of the h/l shell. Any ideas?

Probably dust or remains from a broken light bulb. I washed the inside of the Bosch H-4s I have with some warm soapy water and then placed it in the sun to dry, they came out pretty clean and it didn't affect the reflective finish.
Eric_Shea
Smuggler...

Busted! w00t.gif
Spoke
QUOTE(mihai914 @ Sep 25 2006, 05:05 PM) *
I washed the inside of the Bosch H-4s I have with some warm soapy water and then placed it in the sun to dry, they came out pretty clean and it didn't affect the reflective finish.

I did the same thing with the headlamps for an '86 Audi that I had. The fixtures had a dust haze accumulation on the inside. Took the fixture out and washed with warm soapy water. Rinsed clean and then dried it with a hair dryer pointed into a 1 inch diameter plastic hose to direct the warm air into the fixture.

Spoke
So.Cal.914
Fairy dust.

I've seen it in light bulbs before but I haven't the faintest idea.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Mihai,
A bulb has never broken in the h/l as yet. This substance is white. I've never seen "dust" white like this.

Eric,
I just knew someone would insinuate some illegal activity associated with this post. rolleyes.gif
Aaron Cox
snort it. you may get lucky. but you may die too.

interesting choice smile.gif

wash em
Katmanken
Wash with soapy water,

Rinse well, final rinse with distilled,

Pour in a bottle of rubing alcohol- as high a proof as you can find, slosh around to absorb water, pour out, place in sun to evaporate alcohol.....

and.... no spots!!

(old telscope optics cleaning trick)

Ken
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.