Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What other cars are popular for engine conversions?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
So it appears that there are quite a few people that would not be 914 owners if it was not for the ease of doing engine conversions....

I know Vegas and Pintos had at one time been popular for V8 conversions, but that is a pretty narrow range of engine types....

I would guess the VW Bettle would be right up there in different types of engine conversions.....

what say you??? smile.gif
i love porsche
people do V8 swaps in Mazda RX-7s pretty often, i guess its decently straight fowards
So.Cal.914
Anglia english ford.

Jags
SGB
Bell jetranger engines are high hp, but low torque.
KELTY360
British Austin Healys

Jaguar XJ Sedans

6 cylinder Mustangs '65-'66
blitZ
I've seen a few SBC into a 240Z. I also had a friend with a SBC in an older Toyota Land cruiser, made a real beefy off road machine.
Aaron Cox
volvo 240 wagons + 5.0 ford = fjord smile.gif
SGB
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Sep 25 2006, 04:24 PM) *

fjord smile.gif

"groan" laugh.gif
Lou W
Jeeps, quite a few older ones with SBC's out here.
Allan
I had a buddy in the military that had a Datsun 510 with a sbc...

Scarey fast...
Rand
I've been around a few Datsun v8s. My two favorites were a 510 and an old roadster.
rktmn247
Miata V8!

http://www.monstermiata.com/default.asp
bryanc
A buddy of mine has a Datsun 510 with a 3.3L Pathfinder motor in it. That car is fun. Needs a hood though.

I was going to put a 5.0 V8 in my old Mazda pickup for towing, but decided to get a bigger truck instead. The 5.0 conversion is popular for the Mazda and Ranger trucks. S10 guys do the same.

I personally would like to put a Duratec 3.0 V6 in a 914. Those are beautiful engines even in a Taurus. Plus, the original design is a Porsche one that was sold to Cosworth.
jasons
350's in FJ-40 Landcruisers is common.

One of my best friends put a Ford Mustang 5.0/T5 driveline in a Volvo 240GL wagon. It was great for towing stuff.

Can't forget the dubious Jaguar XJ-6 V8 Conversions.

EDIT: LOL everything I mentioned is a repeat!
TravisNeff
I haven't seen one, but a fun sounding conversion would be a 240Z with a supra turbo inline 6.
sww914
Lots of older Jaguars formerly with v-12's running around with SBC's in them.
turboman808
Guy who did my exhaust is putting a skyline engine into a 280. 240 would have been nicer but it's gonna be wicked fast either way.
Mueller
It seems that the 914 still has the largest varity of engine conversion types that have been installed...

I know for the 510, a few different 4 motors, rotaries, v6s and a few v8's but still not as many brand types that I know of....

I'm guessing that the 914 is the conversion king !!!!
G e o r g e
on topic hijacked.gif

other than a pinto engine anyone hear of engines in a mg td?

beerchug.gif
TravisNeff
I heard that you could make some serious HP on those pinto engines.
morph
yes you can but most people dont seem to like em.
pinto power
2.3 turbo install
james
byndbad914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 25 2006, 04:04 PM) *

It seems that the 914 still has the largest varity of engine conversion types that have been installed...

I know for the 510, a few different 4 motors, rotaries, v6s and a few v8's but still not as many brand types that I know of....

'32 Ford? They have had every engine in them over the years. Seen many a 5-and-dime with SBC and so forth.

I agree that the 914 might be the king because, frankly, the car is really a great car in terms of engine placement, weight balance, size and handling ability. The only bitch I could have about a 914 was the fact it is underpowered (even the 2.0 sixes IMO). They are cute cars, targa top, had flares as an option for wider tires and better handling, on and on. Just that with the stock 4 in mine, there were many times I wanted to kick out the floorboards and try to Flintstone the thing to get to 60mph.

Should be noted the first 914 I bought I bought to do a V8 conversion... and thought it would be cheaper than a Pantera.
jd74914
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Sep 25 2006, 07:20 PM) *

I heard that you could make some serious HP on those pinto engines.

That engine was way ahead of its time (according to my dad) who had 2 pintos (which he converted to manuals) on DD duty when he had his first 914 smile.gif
TravisNeff
QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Sep 25 2006, 04:38 PM) *

[Should be noted the first 914 I bought I bought to do a V8 conversion... and thought it would be cheaper than a Pantera.

Famous last words... burnout.gif
Gary
Lotsa buick/rover V8's going into MGBs, Triumphs, Healeys, Jags, and the like. Good info here: British V8.

When my TR3's motor ate it's bottom end I went back and forth on a stock rebuild, but decided to have a GM pushrod 3400 V6 put in it. Work being done here: Killer B V6. Owner's a super nice guy who appears to do excellent work. Should be about 210 horse in 2100 lb vehicle. Hmm, sounds like a nice 3.0 in a 914 biggrin.gif .
GeorgeRud
The SBC and Fords into various Volvos were quite the sleepers. Both Paul Newman and David Letterman have had them supposedly - you have to keep your license somehow.

The Lotus 7 type cars have also had just about everything stuffed/fitted into them as well.
Katmanken
Wasserboxer Vanagons are really popular for conversions....

Lesse, we gots 911 6's, we gots Audi 5 bangers, we gots VW diesels, VW 4bangers and 6 bangers, we gots a V-8 or 2, and somebody is selling kits to hook up that hipo engine outa the Ford Focus....

Kenwhosdaughtersmasshedtheshitoutahisvanagon
tod914
I think a real popular conversion in the X19 club, is actually putting a motor in the car. All kidding aside, seems they do quite abit on them.
Crazyhippy
QUOTE(George H. @ Sep 25 2006, 04:10 PM) *

on topic hijacked.gif

beerchug.gif

Just saw a 3.8liter v-6 cheby in one yesterday.

BJH
jd74914
rover v8's in TD's?
jonwatts
Don't forget the Fiero.

Hi Mikey! wavey.gif
tesserra
Mazda pick up truck driveline in a MGB.
andys
Over on the LS1 BBS, there's a guy doing an LS1 swap into a BMW Z3. The work he's doing is beautiful, and the outcome ought to be fanastic. Seems the weight of the LS1 is less than the 6 it's replacing, so the balance of the car won't be upset. He's evidently got some roadrace background; he's very attentive to the cars handling qualities.

Andys
Dave_Darling
Honda Civics have gotten just about every Honda powerplant swapped into them at one time or another. Lemme tell you, a 1st-gen CRX (1700 lbs) with a B18C motor (180 HP+) is a pretty scary beast! Ditto a 2nd-gen CRX (2200 lbs) with a K20 motor (200 HP+!!).

Even scarier because they're all FWD, so traction becomes a huge issue.

The Nissan SR20DET (Skyline motor, as noted earlier in the thread) is a very popular swap for just about any Nissan or Datsun.

--DD
HarveyH
QUOTE(George H. @ Sep 25 2006, 07:10 PM) *

on topic hijacked.gif

beerchug.gif

Many many moons ago (late 60's) in Merced Kal there was a T series car with a SBC, flat sheet metal flares and M&H Racemaster slicks running around. A bit too jacked-up looking for my taste but...
Harvey
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 25 2006, 04:04 PM) *

I'll bet the VW Bus could give the 914 a run for its money in terms of swaps.. Just offhand:

1) Wasserboxer (I'm calling it a conversion.... just done by the factory)
2) Rabbit Diesel (see #1 comment)
3) Audi Inline 5 (by VW South Africa)
4) Rabbit Gas Engines
5) Anything Porsche Flat 6
6) Corvair Engine
7) SBC
8) GM V6's
9) Mazda Rotary's
10) Subarus
11) Toyota Gas

Anything you can fit into a 914 has been done in a Bus with maybe the exception of the 928 engine. But add the diesels and the Bus beats the 914...

maf914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 25 2006, 09:45 PM) *

Honda Civics have gotten just about every Honda powerplant swapped into them at one time or another. Lemme tell you, a 1st-gen CRX (1700 lbs) with a B18C motor (180 HP+) is a pretty scary beast! Ditto a 2nd-gen CRX (2200 lbs) with a K20 motor (200 HP+!!).

A month or two ago, USA Today ran an article about the most often stolen vehicles. Acura Integra's were at the top of the list. Reason? The high demand by the tuner group for the high output Integra engines. idea.gif
flesburg
Prediction.

The Pontiac Solstice with a modern corvette engine will be very popular.
As I understand it a big engine bay, and handles quite well.

A guy in Ohio is selling them for like 20K over the price of the car including suspension work, brakes and wheels. Supposed to be a real corvette beater for 40-45K.

Based on GM history tho, I think chevrolet division will kill the Solstice before Pontiac can make too many of them...might eat into corvette sales.....and I'd rather have an 07 Boxter S, or the Caymen S...but still its and additional 20 to 30K.

Maybe I'd have more fun with about 25K in a 73 or 74 914 with a 3.2 or 3.2 engine, and the rest of the money in the bank...
grantsfo
All the Datsun Z cars

Nissan 240 SX handles a variety of engine transplants nicely including the 3.5 liter from the 350Z.

Toyota Corolla Ae86 is a great car if you can wrestle one away from drift kids.

I have always wanted to do a Ford Capri V8 Project, but its getting harder and harder to find clean Capri's. V8 fits so nicely in those cars.

IPB Image

IPB Image
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Sep 26 2006, 03:06 PM) *

........clean Capri's.

Dude... how about ANY Capris.....I haven't seen a Capri in any form for years and years... They were common (in north cal) in the 80's but haven't seen one since.
grantsfo
QUOTE(Brian Mifsud @ Sep 26 2006, 03:24 PM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Sep 26 2006, 03:06 PM) *

........clean Capri's.

Dude... how about ANY Capris.....I haven't seen a Capri in any form for years and years... They were common (in north cal) in the 80's but haven't seen one since.

We have a few clean ones here in Santa Cruz still running as daily drivers. I'm constantly on the look out for a forgotten garage queen.
jd74914
Capri's are another car (like pintos_ with engines ahead of their times. The US just wasn't ready for them
JPB
This is probably one of the toughest questions ever asked since almost every antique car has had multiple conversions like the Ford model A. Chevy 350 conversion kits are available for almost every car, not including the new crap which is illegal to convert anymore.

beer.gif Stumped!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.