Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: starter question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ziggy101
wat are the symptoms of a dying starter? i jsut replaced my battery, and i think the starter is dying. it doesnt do the ...crank crank crank crank..like it did before. now its like.......crrrrank....crrank crank.......crr....and then i have to turn the key again. battery is fully charged and everything, but i dunno if the starter is bad...any ideas? can you fix a starter?
old dkp
QUOTE(ziggy101 @ Sep 25 2006, 02:54 PM) *

wat are the symptoms of a dying starter? i jsut replaced my battery, and i think the starter is dying. it doesnt do the ...crank crank crank crank..like it did before. now its like.......crrrrank....crrank crank.......crr....and then i have to turn the key again. battery is fully charged and everything, but i dunno if the starter is bad...any ideas? can you fix a starter?

HI,You need to start checking all the connections from the batt terminals to the starter,and the push on connectors at the starter from the ignition switch.also have a friend help if possible and check your voltage at the starter with the key in and turned to the crank position.....Safety 1st...make sure you are safe crawling under the car with someone in the drivers seat. You know what i mean. you can find out if the plastic part of the ignition switch has failed.as far as the starter is concerned,the only thing to can do is remove the housing and either replace the brushes or replace the starter.also check all chassis grounds..
Rouser
Replaced your battery with what? Size? CCA?

If you replaced it with a battery with too high a capacity for the alternator to charge (650 - 850 CCA max), than it's going to establish "memory" and never fully charge. That's when the starter will sound like it's turning with no authority. Check to see what voltage the alternator is putting out; above 13.1V around idle is good.

Try giving it a jump; if the starter sounds like it's turning pretty-much the same, than I would suspect the starter, or crappy battery cables. If it livens up, but still turns lazy when cold, the battery's not gettin' a good, deep charge. Make sure you don't have any unswitched accessories suckin' juice overnight; that'll make for a weak battery come startin' time.
ziggy101
QUOTE(old dkp @ Sep 25 2006, 03:15 PM) *

QUOTE(ziggy101 @ Sep 25 2006, 02:54 PM) *

HI,You need to start checking all the connections from the batt terminals to the starter,and the push on connectors at the starter from the ignition switch.also have a friend help if possible and check your voltage at the starter with the key in and turned to the crank position.....Safety 1st...make sure you are safe crawling under the car with someone in the drivers seat. You know what i mean. you can find out if the plastic part of the ignition switch has failed.as far as the starter is concerned,the only thing to can do is remove the housing and either replace the brushes or replace the starter.also check all chassis grounds..

well imean it has power, and it cranks. but it is a weak crank not a strong one. barely enough to turn over
bd1308
be careful, I had a electrical fire over this--no ground strap.

buy a ground cable and attach it to the eye bolt on your fan shroud.

if it works, you have a bad ground strap, if not, your problem is on the + side.

Mueller
QUOTE(ziggy101 @ Sep 25 2006, 03:37 PM) *

well imean it has power, and it cranks. but it is a weak crank not a strong one. barely enough to turn over

did you replace the battery cables?

are your ground straps* making a nice clean connection??

*1 at the battery, the other one at the tail end of the transmission
Mountain914
My starter (the .8 HP one) in the 3.0L wouldn't start when it was hot, but would when cold. Yes, I replaced it with a 1.5HP. Anyhow, all other conditions equal, the failing starter would only act up when hot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.