Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine/trans back in and it won't shift
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschenut
I don't even want to count how many times I have done this job and this is the first time a problem developed. A 76 with a slightly different engine mount system. The cross bar is hard bolted to the engine, transmission mounts are in the chassis and the cross bar bolts up to them. Never noticed it before, is this standard on the 76? The trans mounts up front did have about an inch of washers taped together to make a spacer. It went in so the engine sat a little higher in the chassis.
Anyway, now it is back together and the shift linkage is binding. There is no visible interference on the linkage, all I can think of is the spacers must have been there to align everything.
I will make up the spacers and drop them in tomorrow, just wanted to see if anyone else has seen this setup.
TravisNeff
Sounds like you have a engine bar setup for a 70-72 tail shifter transmission. Are you running a tailshifter or sideshifter in your 76 (you don't mention if you are retrofitting the tranny too)? If it is a tailshifter you will need all the shift rods and shifter itself).

If you have a sideshifter trans you need the later engine bar, motor mounts and outer mounts.
TravisNeff
Also, if you are retrofitting a tailshifter you will also need to fab up a ball and stud on the firewall next to the shift rod hole to accomodate the early shift bars/linkage
porschenut
No it isn't a tailshifter. It is a sideshifter with a sideshifter cross bar. Big heavy a#@ casting with a hole for the shift bar to go through.
TravisNeff
QUOTE(porschenut @ Sep 25 2006, 03:27 PM) *

No it isn't a tailshifter. It is a sideshifter with a sideshifter cross bar. Big heavy a#@ casting with a hole for the shift bar to go through.

So you state that you are using a bar that has the mounts on the chassis and the bar is bolted to the engine (without the rubber mounts). correct?
Bleyseng
There should be rubber mounts at the crossbar to engine and the crossbar is bolted solidly to the engine mounts with a bolt, no rubber mounts.

Standard tranny mounts , I like the 911 sport mounts at the trannyto frame.

Anything else than this is a PO job.
TravisNeff
You say the engine bar is a custom job, can you take a pic and post it for us?
Mueller
QUOTE(porschenut @ Sep 25 2006, 03:18 PM) *

I don't even want to count how many times I have done this job and this is the first time a problem developed. A 76 with a slightly different engine mount system. The cross bar is hard bolted to the engine, transmission mounts are in the chassis and the cross bar bolts up to them. Never noticed it before, is this standard on the 76? The trans mounts up front did have about an inch of washers taped together to make a spacer. It went in so the engine sat a little higher in the chassis.
Anyway, now it is back together and the shift linkage is binding. There is no visible interference on the linkage, all I can think of is the spacers must have been there to align everything.
I will make up the spacers and drop them in tomorrow, just wanted to see if anyone else has seen this setup.

the cross bar should be hard mounted to the chassis...

the cross bar is attached to rubber mounts on the engine ('75/'76 are the same)

there is NO front transmission mount!?!?!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.