Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I've got a GREAT idea, I'm going to buy a 30 year old car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Why don't people spend less than $50 and get the Haynes manual and the "914 & 914-6 Exploded-View Parts Diagrams"* ?????

Is it too hard to ask if the Factory Manual is available in some sort of media??

*in the resource or classifieds section

PORobinSCHE
QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 25 2006, 07:45 PM) *

Why don't people spend less than $50 and get the Haynes manual and the "914 & 914-6 Exploded-View Parts Diagrams"* ?????

Is it too hard to ask if the Factory Manual is available in some sort of media??

why buy a manual when we have a WEALTH of knowledge right here? beer3.gif

Robin
Crazyhippy
Neither manual covers the DOHC Turbo 2liter version of the 914.... sad.gif

BJH biggrin.gif
GeorgeRud
I've had the complete set of factory 914/914-6 parts and service manuals for many years, and still find that the Chilton's or Haynes ones have most of the info as well. It would be a good idea to put the factory manual out on a CD or other digital format. Don't know what kind of a project something like that is or what the copyright laws would do to such an endeavor.
anthony
It's funny, I have the Haynes and consult it occasionally. I've also downloaded the factory pdfs but have never used them.

Usually though what is most helpful is searching here, the Pelican Tech articles, the Pelican 911 board is the issue is common with an early 911, and then finally the Pelican 914 forum.

An hour of reading about the common problems and solutions for a certain job can save hours of frustration when you encounter those same problems. Knowing the solutions ahead of time is invaluable.
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 25 2006, 04:45 PM) *

agree.gif

I have the same issues with the VW side of things. Even the water-pumpers are too cheap to get manuals where the majority of their questions would be answered. It's constantly one of these things headbang.gif for me rolleyes.gif when it comes to home mechanics and their vehicles mad.gif
ptravnic
I thought it is the law that every 914 has to have a Hayne's in the front trunk at all times?

confused24.gif
turboman808
Yeah I didn't see the parts that covered fuel cells, 2.7 itb fi, haltek or 930 turbo brakes so I didn't bother.
TROJANMAN
Why are you complaining? we are all here willing to help - with or without manuals

but yes, everyone should own one
maf914
To paraphrase..."Manuals? Manuals? We don't need no stinking manuals".

Did I get that right? laugh.gif
Rouser
QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 25 2006, 07:45 PM) *

Wait a minute ... didn't this come up once before? idea.gif
MrKona
I kinda think the Haynes manual is interesting reading... no matter what modifications your car already has. At the least, It's the foundation that supports all that other stuff. I need both the Haynes and the 914club to attain 914 nirvana. I couldn't do it without either one.
Demick
EVERY 914 owner should have the Haynes manual. It's a measly $16 on Amazon. I use it almost exclusively, despite the fact that I have the factory manuals and pretty much every other repair manual written for the 914.

Demick
SirAndy
QUOTE(Demick @ Sep 26 2006, 01:43 PM) *

EVERY 914 owner should have the Haynes manual. It's a measly $16 on Amazon. I use it almost exclusively, despite the fact that I have the factory manuals and pretty much every other repair manual written for the 914.

agree.gif
JPB
Every car I had, I got a Haynes manual for but thats just me.LOL This great bunch of club members are a good link out of the bland world of books and tech articles. My first advice is to use the BFH to remove anything, big foragain hammer!

beer.gif
shoguneagle
I would think one should have a Haynes Manuel on the 914 to get idea of what is happening with the car. Once you have an idea then the resources of the Board and members has a lot more meaning. I have the Porsche Manuals but still go to the Haynes for fundamental information and background.

In fact, I have a couple of extra Haynes Manuels I will give to someone needing it. I mean, someone really needing one. Contact me via email.
rick 918-S
Your comment is exactly the reason I never look in the manual first. We like giving you the spurs! happy11.gif

shoguneagle
The extra Haynes Manual I had have now gone to new homes. No more left. Thanks, Steve
maf914
Contrary to my earlier post I actually have two Haynes manuals. One paper back edition is my working copy. The binding broke long ago so I took the book apart, punched holes in it and now keep it in a three ring binder. The pages are a bit dirty from using it while wrenching but it serves its purpose. The other manual is a hard back and I use it when my hands are clean and I'm not in the garage.
VaccaRabite
For the watercooled VWs they have one of the best manuals out there, the Bentley manuals.

Bentley made very precise manuals for every model VW up to at least the MkIII Golf/Jetta (what I had back in the day) and I think they have manuals that cover up to the current models. And they were only about $50. Put the Haynes to shame.

Iwish tht they made a manual for my Subaru and the 914.

I have the PDF shop manuals, but I have never really looked at them. The Haynes seems to get along well enough.

Zach
Brett W
Actually the Helms manual for Hondas are better than the Bently but not by much. I have both. I wish the factory manuals were still available for a better price.

I don't know how you can even bother working on any car without a manual. How do you know the pin outs and wiring values without it?
jasons
Honestly, I have a full set of factory manuals, a Chilton manual, 2 haynes manuals, and 2 others I don't remember who made, and I still look here or PP first.
KaptKaos
Installation is the reverse of removal.

To me, the Haynes is oftentimes not very helpful. For example, there is a better (easier) way to adjust your valves than what Haynes has (factory way). Also the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual did not include the wires for the fog lights. My 73 was pre-wired for fogs, but did not come with them. I added them, but when I went to figure out which wires went to which connectors on the switch, there was no information in the diagram on those. With the help of young Aaron, I guessed right the first time.

The Bentley manual for my Jetta is much better, but still has issues. My biggest issue with the Bentley is that it assumes that you have all of the electrical testing equipment that a dealer has. But other than that, it's pretty good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.