Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Button Willow, The Good, The Bad
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
drew365
The Good: I ran Button Willow this weekend with the POC. I'm in the Orange Group, a very competitive group of cheaters, and have never placed in the top ten. So I was real happy when I qualified 9th for Saturdays race, and even happier when I got a great start in the race, held off three guys trying to nip at my rear bumper and eventually chased down the #5 guy causing him to spin and I finished in 5th. My best lap during the race was 1:13.0, using config #13 clockwise with the new longer radius off ramp. Good day.

The Bad: Sunday, feeling a little cocky I was running a practice session with a taildragger in front and two behind me. We came through the S's hauling ass, I could tell I was a little too hot and off line for the last apex but I hoped I would stick to the pavement at the other side. I didn't stick, put two wheels off into the dirt, spun back across the track, trimmed some grass and found a short concrete wall to ram the rear of my car into. Not a good day.

The UGLY: Just so this thread isn't worthless,

Randal
QUOTE(drew365 @ Sep 25 2006, 06:39 PM) *

The Good: I ran Button Willow this weekend with the POC. I'm in the Orange Group, a very competitive group of cheaters, and have never placed in the top ten. So I was real happy when I qualified 9th for Saturdays race, and even happier when I got a great start in the race, held off three guys trying to nip at my rear bumper and eventually chased down the #5 guy causing him to spin and I finished in 5th. My best lap during the race was 1:13.0, using config #13 clockwise with the new longer radius off ramp. Good day.

The Bad: Sunday, feeling a little cocky I was running a practice session with a taildragger in front and two behind me. We came through the S's hauling ass, I could tell I was a little too hot and off line for the last apex but I hoped I would stick to the pavement at the other side. I didn't stick, put two wheels off into the dirt, spun back across the track, trimmed some grass and found a short concrete wall to ram the rear of my car into. Not a good day.

The UGLY: Just so this thread isn't worthless,

Hope you were OK after that shunt.

Sorry to see the damage to the car, but the important part is the driver.

brant
Drew,

I'm so sorry
I hope your ok though.
did the exhaust pipe cause any motor damage when it bent like that?

I hope its all superficial
brant
drew365
It runs but has an exhaust leak. I actually drove it off track. I havn't gotten under it yet to inspect the header and studs. I don't think I did much mechanical damage. The reinforcement I have in the rear trunk kept the damage to sheetmetal from the tranny mounts back. I'm not going to pressure myself to fix it fast, I do too much of that, but it will get fixed and harassing taildraggers again, at a track near you. biggrin.gif
Oh, and thanks, I'm fine. I went to the chiropractor today, but I really think I tweaked myself climbing in and out of my students car with the big X in the door. I told my student, don't do as I do, do as I say.
nebreitling
yikes! glad to hear that you're okay. car looks very fixable -- sounds like an exciting weekend, not withstanding the incident!
nine14cats
Hi Andy,

Sorry to see that your luck wasn't any better than mine. Sounds like a similar weekend with lots of highs and a significant low.

Relax on the whole deal, then get back at it giving the taildraggers some hell!

Bill P.
Trekkor
No!!

I was afraid of this when you hinted earlier. headbang.gif

I'm glad you are OK.

KT

groot
Sorry about the damage.... that sucks!

But, good running on Saturday!!
grantsfo
Glad youre OK. It doesnt look too bad
Brad Roberts
Andy,

I'm glad your are OK. That looks SCARY.

I *may* have a rear clip for you!! (free) I can also set aside some time to help you remove the old one and get the new one tacked into place. I have *some* experience with the rear clips..LOL

B
Brad Roberts
Good thing the club sticker didnt get hurt..LOL

B
john rogers
I would recommend getting the alignment checked before you do anything and that will tell you if the left side got tweeked more than is readily visible. When I got spun and backed into a curd in Mexico several weeks ago that was the first thing the shop did and all the rear suspension points were just where they should have been. My left side exhaust got tweeked some and was knoecked loose from a couple of cylinders and the collector was twisted some but was straightened with some heating with a torch.
byndbad914
QUOTE(drew365 @ Sep 25 2006, 07:28 PM) *

I don't think I did much mechanical damage. The reinforcement I have in the rear trunk kept the damage to sheetmetal from the tranny mounts back.

Smart thinking on the reinforcement before - first thing I thought of when I saw the pic was wondering how much damage was done to the transaxle... good to hear it was superficial and you are okay - backing into stuff at speed can be disasterous for the driver... good luck on getting it put back together to race another day.
Jeroen
major bummer... looks like you have your work cut out for you
glad you're ok though
sww914
Well, at least the back's easier to fix than the front. Sorry you have to experience this.
nine14cats
Andy,

Have you started working on the car or are you taking it easy for awhile?

Understandable if you are.... smile.gif

Just curious.

Bill P.
drew365
I haven't touched the car since I put it in the garage. I've been real busy at work but also had some mental anquish about the crash. Luckily I had video of it and I feel I can learn from it. I think I'm over the shock and plan on doing at least some work to the car tomorrow. Thanks for asking, you look like you're having too much fun with that Boxster already. Good luck on prepping it. Are you planning on running it at any POC events?
nine14cats
QUOTE(drew365 @ Oct 14 2006, 09:31 PM) *

I haven't touched the car since I put it in the garage. I've been real busy at work but also had some mental anquish about the crash. Luckily I had video of it and I feel I can learn from it. I think I'm over the shock and plan on doing at least some work to the car tomorrow. Thanks for asking, you look like you're having too much fun with that Boxster already. Good luck on prepping it. Are you planning on running it at any POC events?

I have been invited by the POC folks to come on down and run the POC STS in 2007. I may be able to make an appearance, but between work travel and family, it's awfully hard for a little guy like me to haul all the way down on a regular basis. The plan is to run in my local region and try to promote Boxster Spec.

We're also knee deep into the 911 motor rebuild and also the continued saga of The Beast. Once all these cars are running we'll play with them awhile and then probably sell one or two.

I hope things go well on your rebuild.

Bill P.
drew365
Bill; If you get an STS license, which I believe takes two weekends including a school, you could start to Time Trial at their away events like Laguna Seca, Infinion, Las Vegas. I know there's no shortage of groups to run with. Just a thought if you want to run with other spec Boxsters.
nine14cats
QUOTE(drew365 @ Oct 15 2006, 09:43 AM) *

Bill; If you get an STS license, which I believe takes two weekends including a school, you could start to Time Trial at their away events like Laguna Seca, Infinion, Las Vegas. I know there's no shortage of groups to run with. Just a thought if you want to run with other spec Boxsters.

Hi Andy,

That's a great idea!

Is the licensing handled through NASA? Or POC itself?

The reason I ask is tha the PRC licensing is through NASA. When I complete that, can I receive a reciprocal license from POC STS?

Thanks,

Bill P.
drew365
Under certain circumstances the POC will shorten the requirements and give a license to a qualified driver. It's on a case by case basis and is more dependent on the driver showing his experience at an event then on which other groups license he holds. I wouldn't doubt that if you do an STS event and talk to Marty the chief driving instructor that you might get cleared to start Time Trialing. Actually they changed the name to Solo Sprints now.?
Andyrew
This just proves I need to watch the paddock more often..

Im glad your okay Drew!

Car looks fixable, but still.. Oh my!!

Fix it once, fix it right.
DrifterJay
Drew, can I see pictures of your reinforcements for the rear end? I wouldnt mind adding a few to my car....Not a bad investment because of the soccer moms here in Socal...
drew365
QUOTE(DrifterJay @ Oct 30 2006, 06:51 PM) *

Drew, can I see pictures of your reinforcements for the rear end? I wouldnt mind adding a few to my car....Not a bad investment because of the soccer moms here in Socal...

Here's a pic of my rear trunk before the crash. I don't have an after pic to post but the rear got crumpled right up to the ARB mounts. It will get put on an alignment rack at the end of the week but I'm sure the damage stopped at the reinforcements.
echocanyons
Do you need a rear clip? I have one if you are willing to make the drive and help me cut.
drew365
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Nov 2 2006, 02:17 PM) *

Do you need a rear clip? I have one if you are willing to make the drive and help me cut.

Thank you. I think I have one available locally. I'm hoping the repairs may start next week. I know that after all the work it will take just to get the car back the way it was that I'm going to be a bit slower when I get back on the track. Walls are now my demons. ph34r.gif
Trekkor
Walls are now my demons.

That will make Laguna and Sears especially scary vampire.gif

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.