Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: a/c install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nycchef
getting ready to pull my 1.7 and put in a 2.0. while the engine is out woulkd like to install a/c. have a standard dealer a/c unit coming but have not found any reference material on the install. any one out there done this?
iamchappy
I have, let me know via pm's when you get started, I wont remember the wiring but someone else is bound to know.
GeorgeRud
George Hussey @ Auto Atlanta has (had?) a technical article reproduced from the dealer instructions on how to install AC at the dealership, since none came from the factory that way. If you contact them, I don't remember them being very expensive.
bd1308
FOUL! ILLEGAL QUESTION

5 yards on the play. replay first down.

A/C only comes off of 914s, not back on.
Mueller
DPD system

VW/Porsche dealer system

Hope the owner of these links does not mind smile.gif

A/C in a 914 is a "great" addition....I wouldn't put the stock/original stuff back on it, I'd go with a more modern compressor and such which has been done a few times....
nycchef
A/C in a 914 is a "great" addition....I wouldn't put the stock/original stuff back on it, I'd go with a more modern compressor and such which has been done a few times....
[/quote]
thanks, that helps a great deal. have been trying to keep the car as original as possible, but what kind of compressor would you recommend? thanks again
rhodyguy
the demolition portion. cut big hole in floor of front trunk. drill holes in the pass frt wheelwell. drill holes in the pass side front door jam support piece. drill pretty good sized holes in the pass side door sill supports (big enough for the grommets you will want for the hoses). cut a notch in the pass side engine shelve. cut and ruin a prefectly good pass side 2.0 engine tin. don't do that. i have a piece already cut that you can have for the cost of shipping. do you have the cooling fan with the double belt grooves?

k

URY914
If you do a search for "air conditioning" you'll get some good threads that show pictures of the install. I've looked into it myself. The compressor to use is a Nippisson or something like that. It is rotory. I have one new in the box. biggrin.gif

MarkV
The compressor to use is a Sanden, it uses less power and is a lot smaller than the York that came with them. I cleaned up the hole in the front trunk & made a removable piece for the engine shelf. sawzall-smiley.gif
URY914
Your right about the compressor name, I don't know where I got my name from... blink.gif screwy.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 26 2006, 01:22 PM) *

Your right about the compressor name, I don't know where I got my name from... blink.gif screwy.gif

Nipondenso is the nice starter you can get instead of the OE one wink.gif

Oh Richie, why, why, why? happy11.gif
ptravnic
Because an engine swap is just to simple now that he's seen engines torn down, rebuilt, bench tested, etc.

This winter Richie is going to be building himself a 2056!!!
Leo Imperial
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Sep 26 2006, 05:00 PM) *

Because an engine swap is just to simple now that he's seen engines torn down, rebuilt, bench tested, etc.

Naah,

First he will get angry.

Then he will torch the car.

Then he will get a 911. bye1.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Leo Imperial @ Sep 26 2006, 05:32 PM) *

QUOTE(ptravnic @ Sep 26 2006, 05:00 PM) *

Naah,

First he will get angry.

Then he will torch the car.

Then he will get a 911. bye1.gif

agree.gif And you know this, man.
Dr Evil
Richie,
Get a /6 engine and I will help you install it. Then you will have enough free hp to drive your a/c wink.gif
anthony
I think Nippondenso A/C compressors came on some later 911s. You could probably adapt one of those to a 914 as well.

Tip: the Sanden compressors are dirt cheap on ebay.
turboman808
Yeah come to think of it 100hp and ac really sucks. Been there. You turn it off when you go up a hill.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Sep 26 2006, 04:55 PM) *

Yeah come to think of it 100hp and ac really sucks. Been there. You turn it off when you go up a hill.

Want to drive Betty's 74 with a 1.8 and AC. It's fine going up hills. And it makes the car a year around driver here.

You west coast bozos shouldn't chime in on these threads. You can live without AC. If we don't have it, we don't drive the car for much of the year.

nycchef
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 26 2006, 07:39 AM) *

the demolition portion. cut big hole in floor of front trunk. drill holes in the pass frt wheelwell. drill holes in the pass side front door jam support piece. drill pretty good sized holes in the pass side door sill supports (big enough for the grommets you will want for the hoses). cut a notch in the pass side engine shelve. cut and ruin a prefectly good pass side 2.0 engine tin. don't do that. i have a piece already cut that you can have for the cost of shipping. do you have the cooling fan with the double belt grooves?

k

not sure what i have yet. will inventory everything this weekend ( i hope). will get back to you thanks for the offer, may need to take you up on it. this project is getting scary, but i,m going for it.

leo, if i haven't torched the car by now, i.m not likely to.
mike, thanks for the offer, but i.m not putting a $5000. engine in a $4000 car
nate, there are no hills in NYC
besides, how much hp do i need to sit in bumper to bumper traffic, behind a garbage truck in the 90 degree summer heat?
and last but not least...i.m not buying the 68 911 cause then you guys won't like me and i love you guys..and my wife says she will shoot me in my sleep
rmital
QUOTE(nycchef @ Sep 27 2006, 03:21 AM) *

....if i haven't torched the car by now, i.m not likely to.
..and my wife says she will shoot me in my sleep

....if she hasn't shot you in your sleep by now, she's not likely to... biggrin.gif
Leo Imperial
QUOTE(rmital @ Sep 27 2006, 09:46 AM) *

QUOTE(nycchef @ Sep 27 2006, 03:21 AM) *

....if i haven't torched the car by now, i.m not likely to.
..and my wife says she will shoot me in my sleep

....if she hasn't shot you in your sleep by now, she's not likely to... biggrin.gif

She has, but he survived.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.