Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Howard's Official RRC Hot Start Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Howard
OK. So Suzi, who is usually a model of decorum and reliability, developed a hot start problem during RRC. Same thing happened at WCC 04 under same circumstance..long drive using headlights. She doesn't usually get this kind of use, since at my age I'm usually home before the street lights come on. Letting the car sit for a few hours usually solves the problem, but only one try. If it doesn't kick ya push.

Gint suggested weak starter, but Ron had a new V/R with him and I installed it and recharged the battery when I got home.

Voltage spec's before:
At rest: 12.2v
Idle: 12.9v
Idle with headlights on: 11.1v

After new VR:
Idle: 13.9v
Idle with headlights on 13.5v

Factory gauge reads about 1/2v less on all. Revving higher does not seem to change readings.

Gint is probably right, I should get a new starter, but hopefully this will work. Opinions?

GWN7
new starter and cables..... corrosion works it way up the cable ends...
anthony
My car is doing the same thing. The starters get old and then start not starting when heat soaked.

You can get one of those high torque mini starters on ebay for $120:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=220031001304

ThinAir
Also check the fluid level in your tranny. I developed the same problem last year and replaced the starter after RRC, only to have it show up again last Saturday afternoon at RRC06. It started fine on Saturday evening for dinner, but on the way home on Sunday it had the same problem when we stopped for gas. After I got home I figured out that I'd developed a tranny fluid leak and it was probably a hotter-than-desireable tranny that overheated my tranny.
Howard
Just changed tranny fluid, swepco, so that's ok. Starts like a champ now with the extra volt or so. Will try to duplicate problem and see if it's still an issue with new VR before I replace starter. Thanks.
McMark
My VR just went out as well. I didn't realize the stock volt gauge actually WAS telling me something. Apparently if your gauge is only reading 12 ish while driving, it's time to check something. I'd heard that the stock gauge was trash so many times I just never even considered it would be helpful. I guess that's another piece of 'conventional wisdom' disproven. I bet your problem is solved.
So.Cal.914
I got tired of replacing cables and starters so I put in a hot start kit and no more

hot start problem, and out here it IS a problem.
anthony
I've got the hot start relay kit but still have the hot start problem. AFAIK, the relay helps out the ignition switch but not a tired, flakey starter.
Aaron Cox
howard - talk to ernie about hot starting. you werent alone... and thomas too LOL
Howard
Update. Left it on the charger last night. This AM before doing anything, 13.35 volts according to my $3.99 HF tester. Eyballing the dash gauge, about the same. Started like a champ. Readings at fast idle 13.99, 13.8 with headlights on. Factory gauge IS accurate.

Ta Daa!

Gint
QUOTE(Howard @ Sep 26 2006, 11:25 AM) *

Update. Left it on the charger last night. This AM before doing anything, 13.35 volts according to my $3.99 HF tester. Eyballing the dash gauge, about the same. Started like a champ. Readings at fast idle 13.99, 13.8 with headlights on. Factory gauge IS accurate.

Ta Daa!

You fixed your weak/faulty reagulator. Good job.

But you won't know if that cures your hot start problem until you go drive the car for 2-3 hours or so.

Like you needed an excuse?

driving.gif
Crazyhippy
You forgot to mention that it would jump start fine while hot....

Sounds like you got it.

BJH
BMartin914
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Sep 25 2006, 11:44 PM) *

I got tired of replacing cables and starters so I put in a hot start kit and no more

hot start problem, and out here it IS a problem.

Same here. BTDT. Haven't had a problem for 2 years.
KaptKaos
If you would have sold me that car, you wouldn't be having these issues. laugh.gif
Gint
QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ Sep 26 2006, 12:20 PM) *

You forgot to mention that it would jump start fine while hot....

Sounds like you got it.

BJH

Ahh.... that's a piece of info I didn't have.

You may well have fixed it Howie. Better safe than sorry though. I'd still take it and my AAA card for a 3 hour tour...
anthony
Needing a jump start isn't the classic hot start problem!
TROJANMAN
just pop one of your little blue pills in the gas tank, i'm sure that will get things revving
McMark
av-943.gif
Howard
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Sep 26 2006, 12:37 PM) *

just pop one of your little blue pills in the gas tank, i'm sure that will get things revving

I heard it hardens the hoses...
Just noticed in your sig that your car is a 2.0? You sure??? Sounds like a 1.8 poke.gif
Back on topic, here is my take. Only time this problem has occurred is when I run with lights on for an extended period. Starter may be a bit tired and needs 12 full volts and the amps to kick. Old VR was shutting down @12v and not fully recharging the battery, new one steadies @13+. Time will tell.
gregrobbins
Howard, I had this issue with my '73. New cables and cleaning up the wires did the trick.
Crazyhippy
I told him to replace the hunk of junk w/ a SBC... Hell i'm willing to do most of the work, but Noooo... The Hosemeister has to fix it his damn self....

BJH biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.