Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Targa Seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
Is there ANYTHING I can piece together to get *SOMETHING* to work?

mine's like severely cracked.
Mueller
mine is brand new smile.gif

but I digress...I've had a few that the PO's used RTV which didn't do anything but look ugly....there are some new 2 part rubber mixes that you could try....

oh yea, check out the classifieds, I need a 1.8 throttle body and have a EGR/Cat counter for a trade smile.gif
So.Cal.914
I have in the past used calking to repair the seals. Now that is not silicone but

calking, the strongest and most perminent I have used is Vulcam and the color

and texture is very close.

Note* Do not wear anything that you don't want to ruin, Vulcam will not come

out of fabric. I still have work pants that have Vulcam on them from 10+ years

ago.
McMark
Time for some new pants Paul. av-943.gif

My rule of thumb is a new pair per decade. thumb3d.gif
bd1308
I have a 1.7 TB.

I need that CAT counter, I'm goign to regear it for 6000 miles, for a 'service reminder'
Bleyseng
I have a 2.0L bus one if ya need it. confused24.gif
thomasotten
I just emailed Hussey at AutoAtlanta. He said they are 10 days till production on those repro seals.
KaptKaos
Which 10 days? June 8, 2010, March 4, 2008, Feb 11, 2012?? lol2.gif
Engman
Soo whats the going price for a new one now?

M
MoveQik
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Sep 26 2006, 11:20 AM) *

I just emailed Hussey at AutoAtlanta. He said they are 10 days till production on those repro seals.

All kidding aside, they told me 30 days. That was before RRC 2005 . Seriously.
aveale
I called them 6 months ago, and I was supposed to have one 2 months ago.

I just called monday and they are saying 2 months from now.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

T
SLITS
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Sep 25 2006, 11:12 PM) *

Is there ANYTHING I can piece together to get *SOMETHING* to work?

mine's like severely cracked.

Duc Tape

OR

A rain suit.
gary gartner

List price from old Perf. Products and AA catalogs
was $285---IIRC givemebeer.gif
Joe Bob
I found an NOS for $250.....
GaroldShaffer
I pulled a very nice used one off a parts car for $5 biggrin.gif

I thought I had a line on about 10 NOS ones, but it was just a line of BS mad.gif
Tom
I need one also. Need lots of the other ones and some paint too.
Maybe in time for next spring!
Tom
Lou W
In think some young entreprenuer should buy up the remaining stock, mark them up five times over the initial price, then pull them off the market for two years. laugh.gif
Chris Pincetich
I used black silicone last fall and it held up all winter then came apart in the temp shifts + targa on/off during the summer. Now that winter is approaching again, I am getting ready to install a beauty OEM seal I pulled of a parts car.

I used masking tape to form a shaped trough that served as an in situ mold when squirting the silicone. Smooth it with a moist finger or ice before it dries. The caulk might last longer than silicone. Good luck! beerchug.gif
GWN7
QUOTE(Engman @ Sep 26 2006, 10:47 AM) *

Soo whats the going price for a new one now?

M

When they were available from Porsche they were about $250 ($247-$265)....One sold on Ebay in the $700 range a couple weeks ago.

Look for repos from the igloo end of October...
bd1308
this is beyond stupid.

so NOBODY knows a rubber extrusion person who could make a three-piece thing?
Mueller
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Sep 26 2006, 09:48 PM) *

this is beyond stupid.

so NOBODY knows a rubber extrusion person who could make a three-piece thing?

I really don't think it's a simple extrusion, more likely it's a molded/vulcanized item....
bd1308
I figured such piece could be extruded through a die....

seems simple enough in profile. most liekly molded in the one piece config, but since theyre NLA, gotta look at other easier options.

I think it would be simple to get a profile of the seals and extrude each inidividually.
Richard Casto
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Sep 27 2006, 12:56 AM) *

I figured such piece could be extruded through a die....

seems simple enough in profile. most liekly molded in the one piece config, but since theyre NLA, gotta look at other easier options.

I think it would be simple to get a profile of the seals and extrude each inidividually.

My understanding is that the seal is made up of five different parts. I believe that is the top, two sides and two parts that connect the sides to the top. The top and sides look like they could be extruded peices. The other two look to be molded. Then they are all connected prior to vulanization??

The top has an embedded metal part that I think function as a way to hold the seal to the windshield frame. Creating a true repro of the OEM part is expensive due to the embedded metal part and multiple parts that make up the complete seal.

Doesn't Mittelmotor offer a repro version of the OEM part (without the metal insert)? I looked on their website and see it listed for 165 euros (assuming I am looking at the right thing). I also seem to remember reports that people are having problems installing it (it is tight and they end up tearing it during installation). Also I seem to remember reading that it might not be in stock. Mittelmotors site doesn't indicate if an item is in stock or not.
bd1308
Right. I forgot about those block things.
Tobra
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Sep 26 2006, 09:23 PM) *

When they were available from Porsche they were about $250 ($247-$265)....One sold on Ebay in the $700 range a couple weeks ago.

Look for repos from the igloo end of October...

Brewski, I am down with ya, those targa top holders you made with the vacuum mold were mighty nice. Seems like it would be pretty labor intensive making the targa seals one at a time, but winter is coming so you need something to do indoors.

If Mittlemotor has reproductions, why is it that AA told me 6 months ago that they would have one in 30 days? If they are a bit tight, you just lay them out in the sun for a bit to soften them up, start in the middle and work your way to the sides to install, or that is how I would do it anyway.
Richard Casto
Here is the thread that I first heard of the Mittelmotor version...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...f=2&t=52706
bd1308
Please Please Bruce, can you try to make a test one?

If you can make a test one, i'll try it out for you.

I have more RTV on my seal than actual seal...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.