Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has Anyone Used the Paintless Dent Removal Service?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rich brennick
Does it work?
Any idea on prices?

Have a few door dings on Mom's car...

Thanks ahead for your experiences.
Rich
SGB
I've looked into it a little. Apparently they use little (well, not THAT little) picks and tools to pop the dent from the inside. It requires access to the inside panal more than anything else. I think you can figure $100 per ding, unless there are alot. It really is probably not rocket science.
spunone
If the guys been doing it for awhile it's great.they smooth out the dents perfect as long as said before they can get behind it .no braceing in way.Brothers new truck got caught in Large hail storm several dents after dents removal; you can't tell .just my .02 thanks
rmital
station attendents pump your gas out here in New Jersey...he didn't put the nozzle in the tank of my 914. It popped out and dented the inside of the fender. A pretty good one, about the size of a quarter.

Dent Wizard was able to get to it from the wheel well. He put a block of wood on top of the tire and with a long "L" shaped bar, massaged the dent completely out. Then from top with a high polished awl fixed any imperfections.
...pretty amazing!

The gas stationed paid which was nice...
Out here on the right coast, the price seemed to be $150 per quarter panel to start. (minimum).

and yes....now I pump my own gas. (which is actually unlawful in NJ)
boxstr
I use them on alot of cars. They can be spendy, but given the alternative. BODY SHOP, PAINT, WAIT. They are cheap.
CCL
1970 Neun vierzehn
The Honda dealer where I've worked for the past 28 years frequently uses the services of the"Dent Wizard" or "Dent Doctor" or someother generic dent service name. What a good technician can do is really amazing. I've seen them "remove" awful dents from trade-ins, that once they've finished working the metal, you'd never know the metal was dented. There are a few instances where problems can arise or fixes aren't readily accomplished. For instance, if the paint is really old(like on my 914), the dent technicians caution that popping a dent out could cause the paint to break off the metal surface, Also, sharp body creases and character lines(trunk edges, wheel well openings, crisp fender transitions) can be troublesome

Cost typically runs $75-120 per car unless the vehicle is really dinged up badly or requires an inordinate amount of work. I've seen heavily damaged hail storm victims made 98% right for $400-500. That would certainly be my inclination rather than work the car down to metal and respray, losing the factory paint/finish.
Heeltoe914
At GAF a few weeks ago there was a guy who did about 5 cars per hour all Porsche including mine. Great job, It was priced per panal about $100.
grantsfo
I had a silver dollar size dent in my Boxsters hood that was about inch deep. I thought for sure that paint would crack if paintlass dent removal service worked on it.

I was truly amazed at what the guy was able to do. He was a true artist. $150 to make the dent completely disapear with no paint damage. He worked for over an hour.
IronHillRestorations
Someone bashed my '00 914-6 (Boxster) with a shopping cart. It didn't break the paint but it was at least the size of the palm of your hand, and right next to the side air intake. Since the car only had 22k miles and I didn't want to go the scratch and mud route, I had a paintless repair guy work on it, and I swear the guy is a magician. Due to the size and severity of the dent, it couldn't be made perfect, but it's close. I say give someone with a good repuation a shot at it.
Dave_Darling
What they said. In my area, the costs start at just under $100 per dent, depending on the size. They will usually do some kind of deal to get all the dents out of the car they can find for about $400. They can't get them all, and there are some they can get but not perfectly. But most of the time you can't tell the dents were there at all!!

I like 'em. They did a bunch of work to My Attorney's taildragger, I had them deal with one or two (of the zillion and a half) dings on my 914, and I had them completely do my Hona. I'm very pleased with the results!

--DD
Trevorg7
I've used them and it works. A bit $$ but since door dings drive me nuts its worth the peace of mind.

T
pbanders
One more vote for them. I used a guy here in Phoenix who was absolutely amazing. He did our minivan and my E36 M3. On the M3, I had two severe roof dents from ramming my bike (on the rooftop bike rack) into the garage overhang (didn't hurt the bike a bit!).

The dents were in an area where the roof is double-skinned, so that there was no access from behind, usually impossible for dentless removal. He used a new tool that has a round, flat plastic face, and a bulbed stem on the back. He glued the flat face to the center of the dent area with hot glue, then used a slide hammer to lift and then remove the plastic piece from the roof. Each time he did this, it pulled the dent out slightly. When he got it to where it was slightly above the rest of the roofline, he then used his plastic tools and tapped it back to the correct height. No scratches, and no trace of the dent.

Cost me $100, as compared to well over $1K for bodywork and paint to do the same.
Jerry
I have used them several times, not cheap but they are great!! Can't tell there was a dent there!!! I would recommend them !!
william harris
Yes, after some dumb ass decided to pound the driver's side door of my Boxster S, put a dent the size of a walnut, looked like it was hit with the hammer. Dent Doctor or some such name only works out of dealership, so off to local Porsche dealer, the results were amazing, only the trained eye of a body shop owner will detect the work was ever done. Very satisfied customer. beer.gif
bernbomb914
any one close to my area give me a call. I have a super guy that sell real Estate for me who is as good as they get for removing dents and dings. does the toyota and Lexas dealers in our area.
bernie
D1A3
Dent Wizard did a BMW I owned a few years ago. We had organized for them to come to a BMW CCA event and they fixed all of my dents for a flat $99, although they had 15 cars lined up and it took all day to get through them. I thought they did a great job.

By the way, we called the event "DingFest" and also had a mobile car painter/detailer come out and do touch up paint and polishing on cars that had roda rash. I saw them bring a LOT of life back into a road worn 7-Series whose hood looked like swiss cheese.

Something to consider when planning for some of these upcoming "Classic" events.

--Jason
Midtowner
One word of caution: If it is a door dent, make sure that they do not scratch the door window as they use it as a bracing surface. Don't ask how I know. blink.gif
Ferg
I've used them in the past, and I've actually tried it myself and had really good results. I'm planning on buying some "real" tools off ebay soon, as my mustang has a slight ding I cannot reach. I just watched how the pro's did it and decided to try it myself. I've never done it on a 914 and would imagine it's much harder than the newer cars.

Ferg
JPB
I hate to say this but you all made me realise something which should have been obvious. I wondered how they did that dent thing and just realised that there are always two sides to a dent . DUUHHHHh.

beer.gif Grassyass.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.