Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stainless steel heat exchangers for the 6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iamchappy
I am considering my next expensive solution to not having heat in my 914 6 conversion. I do have an electric heater that does a pretty good job for the limited time I plan on driving the car when it's cold. The late start on getting my car together could force me to drive my car until the snow falls.

With a set of new heat exchangers my car would be a complete car without the mickey mouse electric heat option or going to the gas heater which I bought but am afraid to install for fear of fire.

Any recommendations as to what is best for fitment, the GHL or the Billy Boat BB product.
Aaron Cox
i hear they all need work to fit great.... but i heard the GHL were slightly worse than the BB
smontanaro
Sorry to hijacked.gif but who sells these products? How do they correspond to OEM? I assume OEM parts are tough to come by in good condition. They are something I would consider taking off my /6 and storing in a dry place, replacing them with a non-OEM part.

Thx,

Skip
GeorgeRud
The stainless exchangers are available through the usual suspects (Patrick Motorsports, Performance Products, etc.).

Everything I heard is that they don't heat very well, though they may defrost somewhat.

The factory heat exchangers are still available, although they cost ~$4800/pair from the dealer. Used ones occassionally show up for ~$1000-1800. If you're not going to drive the car in the snow, you would probably be best served by finding a good used set, have them Jet Hot Coated, and then they should last forever.
IronHillRestorations
I've sold several sets of the B&B, and fit has been an issue with over half. I was going to try the GHL next time. IMHO if you can find a set of factory boxes worthy of jet hot coating, then I'd go that route even if they were a little more than the new. The limiting factor would be displacement, I would be OK with a 3.0 and stock he's, but a 3.2 is just past the performance envelope of the smallish factory he's. The factory units flow pretty damn good!
iamchappy
My application is on my 79 SC 3.0 turbocharged engine with the 3.3 liter pistons and cylinders it is now a 3.12.

What has been the fitment issue with the GHL and BB the BB appear to have a smaller heatbox.

I was thinking the stock diameter ones would be to small, ive seen some old patched up ones for sale awhile back for 750.00.

If they would work ok I would consider going that route and remove them for summer.
iamchappy
BB
3liter914-6
I have a set of NIB BB H/Es. Never gotten around to installing them, but I'd shave a few bux of retail for ya.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.