Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The official, WTF happened to TurtleGirl's engine....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Series9
As many of you are aware, I advised Liz to stop driving her car when I observed exhaust gas venting out of the oil tank on Saturday morning in Moab.

We flat-bedded her home just to be safe.

Looks like it was a good call.

Compression check (cold) reveals:

1. 105
2. 100
3. 105
4. 90
5. -0-
6. 105

The engine has not eaten itself, so we're going in. #4 will receive a check as well.

Series9
#5:

Dr. Roger
ouch.

zero compression is never a good thing. at least rings would show some compression usually. do the 6 engines lose seats too?

i can build you a SBC engine pretty quick if you like. =-)

Series9
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Sep 26 2006, 03:55 PM) *

ouch.

zero compression is never a good thing. at least rings would show some compression usually. do the 6 engines lose seats too?

i can build you a SBC engine pretty quick if you like. =-)

Since exhaust was coming out of the oil tank, I'm pretty sure the valves are fine.

And, bite your tongue about the SBC. barf.gif
Series9
I think Liz has the 'hard luck' trophy for next year behind door #5. happy11.gif
Ferg
Uhg, i'll happily pass the "award" along to her after seeing those compression results. sad.gif

Here's hoping for the best! hands.gif

Ferg

Aaron Cox
looks super rich in there..... wierd... ZERO not even like 20 or 30?

interesting.....

what are you thinking about it? since its zero.. i doubt its my idea of "oil washed away by excess fuel".. and i bet you are right on a holed/busted piston
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(Series9 @ Sep 26 2006, 02:57 PM) *

Since exhaust was coming out of the oil tank, I'm pretty sure the valves are fine.

And, bite your tongue about the SBC. barf.gif

My rule of thumb with my Beetle engines was that when more exhaust gas came out of the crankcase ventilator than the exhaust pipe, it was time to rebuild.

After rebuilding, I'd back off the ignition timing and/or enrichen the mixture as this was usually caused the big holes in the pistons biggrin.gif

$500 complete performance rebuild and back on the road again....

I'm sure it's just as easy and cheap with a 911 laugh.gif dead horse.gif dead horse.gif
Series9
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Sep 26 2006, 04:21 PM) *

looks super rich in there..... wierd... ZERO not even like 20 or 30?

interesting.....

what are you thinking about it? since its zero.. i doubt its my idea of "oil washed away by excess fuel".. and i bet you are right on a holed/busted piston

I'm pretty sure exhaust was coming out of the oil tank due to a big hole in the piston.
I'm pretty sure it looks 'rich' because there's a big hole in the piston.
I'm pretty sure the compression is zero because there's a BIG HOLE in the piston.

This is all starting to add up. idea.gif
Aaron Cox
i think you are right....

so what caused it? lean or advance?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Sep 26 2006, 03:35 PM) *

iso what caused it?

PING PING PING

seen it *many* times during my dirt-bike racing days ...
barf.gif Andy
JPB
Suckorama bro! How do they say, unlucky in cars lucky in love?

This is a WTF.gif situation for shure.
Matt Romanowski
Don't know the motor, but a bunch of things could do it. Too deep of valve reflief pockets. Too lean. Ping (as Andy said) and/or detonation. Timing issue. Weak Piston. On and on....

Sorry to see it. No real telling until you get the piston out. Make sure to pull a couple of other cyclinders off and check the pistons. If it was a lean / timing issue, there could be others ready to go.

You can get Zyglo (or equivalent) at the local Airgas to crack check.

Matt
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Series9 @ Sep 26 2006, 03:13 PM) *

I think Liz has the 'hard luck' trophy for next year behind door #5. happy11.gif

'bout time someone else got it as Brad has won it 5 years in a row. alfred.gif
jd66921

Jeez Liz, I thought you only lost a clutch cable....
McMark
Sounds like you've got something nice for the trophy wall. wink.gif

Bummer Liz. sad.gif Time to bump the bore. happy11.gif
Series9
It's not lean, but I was running it a little advanced.

I'm going with that or straight bad luck.
MoveQik
This should go in the official quotes thread but it is appropriate here as well:

Liz - "I hope the engine isn't shot. I can't afford to put in a 3.2 right now"

As if that was the only option! laugh.gif
ThinAir
QUOTE(Series9 @ Sep 26 2006, 03:33 PM) *

I'm pretty sure exhaust was coming out of the oil tank due to a big hole in the piston.
I'm pretty sure it looks 'rich' because there's a big hole in the piston.
I'm pretty sure the compression is zero because there's a BIG HOLE in the piston.

This is all starting to add up. idea.gif

I dunno Joe... I think it's a hole in the piston. Probably a big one! sad.gif
effutuo101
How much is one of those nifty fiber optic camers so we can look inside the engines with out taking them apart? Somebody could probalby make a mint with if they made one with a light so we could poke around our motors with out taking them out.
Aaron Cox
sad.gif
hcdmueller
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Sep 26 2006, 09:03 PM) *

How much is one of those nifty fiber optic camers so we can look inside the engines with out taking them apart? Somebody could probalby make a mint with if they made one with a light so we could poke around our motors with out taking them out.

The decent models are designed for examining aircraft engines and cost about $20K on the low end. I have a couple at work but I am definitely not in the right place to help. They pretty much all come with lights though. Here is a link to some cheap ones if anyone is so inclined. No guarantee on the quality.

http://www.fiberscope.net/servlet/the-Fiberscopes/Categories

Sorry to hear about the engine. That just sucks.
messix
QUOTE(hcdmueller @ Sep 26 2006, 10:24 PM) *

QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Sep 26 2006, 09:03 PM) *

The decent models are designed for examining aircraft engines and cost about $20K on the low end. I have a couple at work but I am definitely not in the right place to help. They pretty much all come with lights though. Here is a link to some cheap ones if anyone is so inclined. No guarantee on the quality.

http://www.fiberscope.net/servlet/the-Fiberscopes/Categories

Sorry to hear about the engine. That just sucks.

i saw one for about 1,500 a while back.
MJHanna
popcorn[1].gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Sep 27 2006, 01:03 AM) *

Harbor Freight has one for sale for $269 idea.gif

ITEM 91565-2VGA 36" fiber optic scope
Bleyseng
fiber optic camera for $400

http://www.personalarms.com/surveillance/st403.htm

time for some JB Weld on that piston.
Brian Mifsud
Looks like there is no need to look inside.. the 0 compression makes it really clear what they are going to find...

Anyhow, can you buy 1 jug and 1 piston for 911's like you can for a beetle engine?
Eric_Shea
Yes, you can get just one. You can probably get just the needed piston.

This is the "first" time I've ever heard of a 911 engine just plugging along and holing a piston. With zero compression it certianly seems to be the case but wow... I'd love to know what caused that. Those SOB's are T-O-U-G-H. It would take a lot.

Anxiously waiting. popcorn[1].gif
Borderline
I'm curious as to the conditions of how this happened. How fast was she driving? Climbing a hill? My experience is that you need a lot of heat to melt down a piston. Are you concerned about all the stromberg.gif in the oil system now? Do you think the filter will take care of all of it? Sorry for your bad luck. sad.gif
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(Borderline @ Sep 27 2006, 08:05 AM) *

I'm curious as to the conditions of how this happened. How fast was she driving? Climbing a hill? My experience is that you need a lot of heat to melt down a piston. Are you concerned about all the stromberg.gif in the oil system now? Do you think the filter will take care of all of it? Sorry for your bad luck. sad.gif

Many a rebuilt engine has been ruined by oil coolers letting particles loose that were accumulated when said engine died. My experience is that the oil cooler and whole system needs to be high pressure flushed with HEATED cleaning solvent. Some of the guck won't cut loose at room temps, but add 150 degrees and particles of "plague" start moving.

It's a good idea to put a coffee filter into your oil drain funnel and try to "rebuild" all the pieces you can find of the aluminum piston that weren't vaporized. This is where a good "bean counter" is handy...
Duffster
sad.gif Bummer, Liz. You 're obviously in capable hands for the fix.
Series9
Thanks for all the condolences, but I think she'll be fine.

We were going to pull the engine anyway to fix an oil leak, so it's not really that big a deal. I just want to find the missing piece (hopefully just one) in the sump.
Toast
sad.gif
Sorry Liz! That totaly sucks! And I thought my car problems sucked. sad.gif

Sounds like its time for a NM "Lets Fix Turtlegirl's Engine" get together.

drunk.gif
Allan
Bummer on the motor guys. sad.gif

This is gonna be a good thread though...
Matt Romanowski
QUOTE(Series9 @ Sep 27 2006, 08:28 AM) *

Thanks for all the condolences, but I think she'll be fine.

We were going to pull the engine anyway to fix an oil leak, so it's not really that big a deal. I just want to find the missing piece (hopefully just one) in the sump.

You won't know till it's apart, but if the piston just cracked and then burnt, there won't be much to find in the sump. From your dexcription, it didn't just grenade.

Matt
GTeener
Wow, that's a buzzkill on a car party weekend. sad.gif

Hope it's a simple fix that doesn't require an engine rebuild.

popcorn[1].gif
Series9
One hour flat. I think that's a new record for me removing a /6:

Series9
Last. I had a look in #5 with a flashlight, but couldn't see any hole.

The leak-down gauge shows 100% bypass.

DNHunt
Man, that is just a shame. I hope you are lucky and it's just a bunch of time ansd a few parts. I don't think anyone mentioned an oil filter autopsy but, I sure would want to see what's in there. Joe could you hear where the air is escaping to?

Good luck

Dave
Series9
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Sep 27 2006, 04:49 PM) *

Joe could you hear where the air is escaping to?

Good luck

Dave

Definitely into the case.
Madswede
QUOTE(Toast @ Sep 27 2006, 10:53 AM) *

sad.gif
Sorry Liz! That totaly sucks! And I thought my car problems sucked. sad.gif

Sounds like its time for a NM "Lets Fix Turtlegirl's Engine" get together.

Not a bad idea, that. 'course, Liz doesn't often find time to drown her sorrows much, not having that much time or inclination to get totally wasted ... but this might be the time and the inclination for such a rare occasion. Maybe after she gets it fixed would be the time for a very relieved beer.gif

I strongly suspect that Joe can fix it without too much fuss and cost - not a new engine, certainly. After all, Joe's pretty handy with a sawzall-smiley.gif as I can tell you after working on my ex-1997 VW Jetta.

Actually, I thought I'd be the one who developed such a problem, even though my engine is "new" by many of you teeners' standards having been made in 1992 - since I was the jackass that missed a downshift from 5th to 4th trying to put it in 2nd instead. blink.gif I plead the fifth on the reasons behind that one, and no, Andy, it was well before we started drinking so my brain was still on. More or less. Kinda.

- Jon
McMark
I'm gonna go with my original gut feeling... broken rings/ring lands
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 27 2006, 10:19 PM) *

my original guess was a broken ring due to lack of oil due to fuel washing it away for being rich...

i dunno....

only joe knows. smile.gif
Brian Mifsud
Are we putting money on our speculations?
Eric_Shea

That was my thinking back in Moab. The only weird thing is zero compression. I'm still inclined to think rings and such.
Bleyseng
I'll try a different guess...

scored cylinder....oily sparkplug, zero compression.....seen it once or twice including a loose wrist pin that scored the shit outta the cylinder cuz the engine builder didn't install a clip. headbang.gif
IronHillRestorations
I'm going to guess either a cracked or burnt piston; or a burnt/bent valve.

Just my guess, it could be a handfull of different things. Those are just the two that I've seen firsthand.

Either way a bummer.

Much less embarassing than the owner dropping a screw down the intake. (not me, a customer)
Bleyseng
QUOTE(9146986 @ Sep 28 2006, 07:50 AM) *

Much less embarassing than the owner dropping a screw down the intake. (not me, a customer)

btdt--a helper dropped a carb wingnut down a carb (have a ever said how much I hate carbs) and didn't tell me. Drove the car and chipped a small spot in a exhaust valve which when the engine get hot made it have a miss. Only when it was hot, drove me nuts especially when I was told about 2 weeks later about the dropped nut.
jsteele22
Okay, if this is gonna be a guessing game, my money is on a very small hole in the piston, a hole about the diameter of a ......

chopstick. shades.gif

Matt Romanowski
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 27 2006, 09:19 PM) *

If it's really at -0- compression, it's more than just rings. Think about standard skirt clearances and how much air can get by. It will make compression with bad rings. Leak numbers are a different story.

Shoot, we've run turbo motors with no rings. High RPM race motors only run 1 ring - thin too - about 1mm.

Matt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.