Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HOW FAST ARE SUBI/914s ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tesserra
Is there anyone out there with some good subi/914 performance #'s.
Does anyone autocross a Subi/914?
How do they compare to a 914-6 (2.0..3.2..etc)
They sound like a great motor and owners seem to be real happy, but has anyone really developed one of these cars and time trialed/autocrossed it?

My v8 motor is a little tired and I am considering going Subi next time since I have cooling and a great shifting 901 trans. idea.gif

George
Mueller
I drove Fiids Subaru conversion on Saturday (2.0 with only 7psi) , I would say it easily felt as good as a /6 3.0.........

I liked it and would pick a Subaru conversion over a V8 unless one just "has" to have silly HP numbers and a monsterous engine mueba.gif MDB2.gif

JPB
I think the new WRX 2.5 STI turbo intercooled with stock 300HP can stuff some cotton up anyones arss. With a new block, offered by some hot rod companies and a few bolt ons, you can get some seriuos HPs 400-500-600 but these will reduce the TBO. With this siad, you can get some throw away blocks or cores for exchange at a pretty fair price and have some serious ass!

beer.gif I like the stock 200K thing since speed is all relative and longevity is a good thing.
tesserra
Mueller,
I don't want "silly" HP #s
I would prefer a more balanced car. My tired v8 (stock 327) puts out I guess about 180 rwhp.
A dependable Subi with about 200 usable HP would be a real nice car.
By usable I mean not being afraid to drive the car really hard for fear of breaking something.
My previous v8 engine had 300 cammy HP and it was a blast, but I think I would give up some HP for modern FI, mileage and drivability.
I think 10lb/HP makes for a very fun car. So I need about 250HP

Now which Subi motor?
anthony
Fiid's car felt like a 5.5sec 0-60 car. It was definitely faster than my 911SC and maybe about the same as my friend's S2000.

I think one problem with 0-60 is the 901 transmission. It's not geared well for that. I took a ride in a 240hp 3.2L 914-6. It didn't seem like it had great 0-60 but from 30 to 80 it was an absolute rocket ship and could have quickly pulled to 100mph.

I think it would be cool if the club had a 0-60 database.
tesserra
Fiid, How did you place among other 914s compared with your 4cyl motor?
Any people run that you can use as a benchmark? Before and after?

George
Crazyhippy
i agree w/ the 0-60 not being phenominal due to the weak 1st...

In 3rd gear roll ons (30mph-ish) I will leave a new vette very very easily.

this is w/ a stock block, stand alone ECU and running 20psi (still safe for the block, at the limit for the stock turbo)...

BJH

URY914
There is one on Youtube.com that is pretty damn quick. Do a search...

Mueller
QUOTE(tesserra @ Sep 26 2006, 05:33 PM) *

Mueller,
I don't want "silly" HP #s
I would prefer a more balanced car. My tired v8 (stock 327) puts out I guess about 180 rwhp.
A dependable Subi with about 200 usable HP would be a real nice car.
By usable I mean not being afraid to drive the car really hard for fear of breaking something.
My previous v8 engine had 300 cammy HP and it was a blast, but I think I would give up some HP for modern FI, mileage and drivability.
I think 10lb/HP makes for a very fun car. So I need about 250HP

Now which Subi motor?

Hey George...I've seen your car before at HPH, I just didn't know the specs on the motor, I didn't mean "you" needed silly hp, I just made the statement 'cause there will always be some joker saying to put a V8 in instead (you know, coulda had a V8 smile.gif )

Fiid feels his car is at the 180 mark right now and I'd agree with him, I would say he'd give my 3.6 911 a serious run for the money...would I race him for money...nope...i think it would be that close...of course I have a much better shifting transmission with a 1st gear in the "correct" place, hahahaa

Upon talking to Fiid he mentioned that he thinks a normally asperated 2.5 would make a great motor, and you can do the typical stuff like a header and intake stuff while keeping the stock FI (which I hear is somewhat self-adaptable to changes to the motor) and not dealing with the turbo which tends to complicate things and can get expensive really quick.

I think bone-stock the 2.5 N/A's have 175 hp with matching torque...

I've driven a few V8 conversions from bone stock 2 barrel 350 station wagon motors to one with 350+ hp...the V8 cars are a blast, but you can always feel with your butt the extra weight behind you.......I say try to hook up with Fiid and go for drive, if he let "me" behind the wheel, I'm sure you'd have no problem...

I used to against the Subu conversions till I drove one, even with HP levels below 200, it made a believer outta me smiley_notworthy.gif
tesserra
Mueller,
Sounds good to me.
My car is running good now but I am just trying to figure out what direction to go and not waste too much money in the process.

Thanks,
George
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.