Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to Open Front Trunk Lid?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andys
There's a dent just above the front trunk latch that is not visible in the picture I posted of Goober yesterday (What Shock is This). The PO mentioned he barely submarined under the back of a "brake light minus" Mustang that stopped in front of him. Damaded the drivers side trurn signal pods too. Ok, so I can't open the front hood using the cockpit pull. Any suggestions on how to break into it? I'm not opposed to drilling an access hole behind the bumper if need be. I have a TIG, so no probelms closing up any holes.

Andy
SirAndy
there IS already a access hole in there. the factory knew you were going to need it. wink.gif

remove the front bumper. behind you'll find a small hole.
use a screwdriver to move the lever.

voila, Andy
JWest
Sometimes the hole is not obvious. There might be a rubber plug in that hole, and the rubber plug might be painted over, but it IS there.
TheCabinetmaker
The hole is in the middle of the car. Stick a thin straight blade screwdriver into the hole towards the passenger side, and pry gently to the drivers side. Think of the cable coming from the drivers side, pulling the latch in that direction. If there is damage to front trunk in that area, you might have to coaxe the hood up "gently" I repeat, "gently" with a wide flat blade putty knife, or you might have to push down on the hood to get it to release.

Good luck
andys
This is great news. Thanks to everyone. I suppose I would have found this on my own once I removed the bumper, but at least now I know for sure!! Being a previous (very previous) owner of a brand new '73 2.0, the only work I did on it was the routine maintenance stuff, so, I never got really too deep into anything else back then.

Andy
Aaron Cox
make sure your hood isnt bent.....(ask me how i know-parts car) once bumper is off, all it takes is a screwdriver. haynes manual describes it nicely
andys
QUOTE(acox914 @ Oct 30 2003, 02:21 PM)
make sure your hood isnt bent.....(ask me how i know-parts car) once bumper is off, all it takes is a screwdriver. haynes manual describes it nicely

Aaron,

Really? I have a Haynes manual left over from my old '73 and never thought to look at it!

Red faced,

Andy
jwade
Slightly off topic, is there a way to access the rear trunk in case the
latch fails.

It hasn't happened yet, but with my luck it will.

john wink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(jwade @ Oct 30 2003, 05:41 PM)
Slightly off topic, is there a way to access the rear trunk in case the
latch fails.

It hasn't happened yet, but with my luck it will.

nope.
they only way without cutting would be to go through the engine compartement, remove one of the plastic cups that hold the targa latches and try to fiddle in something long, maybe wrench extensions etc.

the easier way is to attach a thin cable to the lock-mechanism, drill a small hole in the trunk floor, route it through, put a loop or little handle on it and just pull it if needed.
it'll be right above the exhaust, so don't use anything flammable wink.gif

Andy
Aaron Cox
reach thru a rust hole in your rear trunk and fiddle with it! laugh.gif laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.