Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: SBF crate motors.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turboman808
Eh no big hurry just need to deciede on a crate motor at some point.

From what I have seen so far the closet thing to what I want is the roush 402 IR. http://www.roushperf.com/engines.shtml

It's a pretty good setup but does anyone know of another crate motor that has the preprogramed ITB injection but in a 427w?

I may just get the roush but I kinda wanted something closer to 600hp. I don't need it but I want it piratenanner.gif
drewvw

damn dude...isnt your ride fast enough????
turboman808
QUOTE(drewvw @ Sep 26 2006, 05:32 PM) *

damn dude...isnt your ride fast enough????

Not for the 914 it's good already.
McMark
In that case, I added OT: for you. poke.gif

thumb3d.gif
Sammy
Iffn they were $1 and made a zillion hp, i wouldn't want one. Ford sux bigtime IMO.
jd74914
QUOTE(Sammy @ Sep 26 2006, 10:16 PM) *

Iffn they were $1 and made a zillion hp, i wouldn't want one. Ford sux bigtime IMO.

finger.gif chebby be better? poke.gif
turboman808
Oh man I think the sticker shock almost killed me.

Looks like 20 grand for a motor. Haven't even looked into the transmission yet. blink.gif

byndbad914
if you are seriously shopping around, call Troy at Ford Performance Solutions. 600HP out of 427 (or even 400) cubes is a piece of cake these days - I have built a number of 408 Windsors pumping out over 600HP on pump gas. Troy can easily hook you up with what you want and probably less than $20K, but not a ton less. ITB injection isn't cheap to begin with, but talk to him. (714) 773-9027 or -9028.

Built a nice twin turbo 408W about a year ago that dyno'd over 1,000HP and 1,000Tq for instance (not for $20K of course biggrin.gif ) and it is in a baja truck at the chassis shop I just had my car done at. He can build pretty much anything - they did the exhaust and everything.
turboman808
I am just shopping around at the moment. I just want to know what the ballpark figures are before I go and meet this engine builder next week.

But yeah the ITB injection really boost the price. That then crank trigger and computer are like 5-7 alone. At least what I have seen.

Right now I am just trying to nail down my final price the best I can so there are no surprises.

Sammy
Yuppers, chebby be 1000 times better than ford. Then and now.
Cheaper power, more power, better efficiency, better reliability.
All that in a physically smaller package.
there is a reason we have so much (and affordable) aftermarket chebby small block parts when compared to ford, the SBC was (and is) a better platform to develop.
Chebby now sells a small block engine that produces 500 hp in a production car (real production, as in Z06, not to be confused with a low production GT that isn't proven on the street or track), with full warranty, and is race proven and developed.
byndbad914
QUOTE(Sammy @ Sep 28 2006, 07:36 PM) *

Yuppers, chebby be 1000 times better than ford. Then and now.
Cheaper power, more power, better efficiency, better reliability.
All that in a physically smaller package.

So, let's see, here are my answers. No, not necessarily,no,no,no,no,no. I think that covers all of those points. biggrin.gif

chebby be 1000 times better than ford = matter of opinion, so too subjective to argue. But I can guarantee you by design, a 302/351W platform is far better than the 350 platform. Look at where the cam is driven v. the dist and oil pump for instance. Those twisting forces alone throw the timing off on the back cylinders on a Chevy by as much as 2deg on a "serious" engine. That has been proven, though I admit I can't find the article anymore. Don't even get me started on the siamese exhaust ports and that basically the LS stuff is a Ford... or that rear thrust in the Chevies that they too have gone away from.

Then and now. Well, then no. Now, yes. I like the LS stuff and the new 4.6/5.4L mod crap from the Fords I am not that impressed with. Can't get the cubes outta them you can with the LS stuff, so I give you that on the new ones. Course, recall my comment that the LS stuff is really more Ford to me than Chevy.

Cheaper power - not really anymore or for the last 10-12yrs. The 5.0L craze brought a LOT of great, similarly priced products to the market. And the aftermarket Ford heads almost always smoked the similar volume aftermarket Chevy heads for flow numbers.

more power - not true as similar cube Chevies v. Fords may make less, maybe the same. All about cam choice and cylinder heads among other factors. Plenty of similar designed Fords squeak out a Chevy due to the head issue mentioned above. A "stock intake port location" Chevy 200cc-ish head will flow maybe 286-290cfm with 2.02/1.60 valves. A "stock intake port location" Ford 200cc-ish head would flow 300cfm+. Flow bench don't lie.

better efficiency - not necessarily. Not even going to bother with why. See above. I can get great volumetric efficiency out of either on the dyno.

better reliability - no. Depends on parts in aftermarket stuff. For factory stuff, I don't trust the newer Ford stuff yet, but I can tell you I have never seen a Chevy cylinder head come in for a refresh with 300K miles on it out of a delivery van and I didn't need to touch the guides. The Ford 302 that did that just needed the valves and seats ground and lapped back together. Long live the 302! Actually the engine was still running fine, he pulled it out at 300K as he didn't want to get stranded on a long-haul delivery. Engine was in amazing shape. Still blown away by that 302 - I told him to gold-plate that one and mount it if it every actually died!

Oh yeah, put a big hyd or any solid tappet cam in your SBC or BBC and see how far you get. I built well over 500 engines in a 4yr stint at one shop and had 2 cams go flat. ONe SBC with a street hyd tappet and a BBC with a solid tappet cam. Go back to the "better design" comment and look under "narrow lobes" and "small tappet diameter" laugh.gif

I love the argument stated above as I have built them all and either is, for the most part, fine. I still freak out each time I hit the key on my SBC worried that cam is going to go flat. I have installed a dry sump JUST SO I COULD PRIME THE ENGINE EASILY EVERY TIME I FIRE IT UP from now on and have lifters with EDM holes in the bottom to better oil that cam. Freaks me the F out - if I knew I was going to chassis my car upfront, I woulda built a 302 stroker for sure.

physically smaller package - depends. 289/302 is narrower than the SBC. 351W is bigger in deck height than SBC, so you can get more stroke outta the stock block. I give props to the 4.125" bore 400 block tho' and have one for my engine.

All in good fun, to each his own. I say leave turboman alone as for every reason you say Chevy is better I can give you first hand experience where a Ford did as well or better for the same money (these days).
jimtab
QUOTE(Sammy @ Sep 26 2006, 07:16 PM) *

Oh yeah...that 260/289/302...hell nobody ever won a race with those engines... screwy.gif poke.gif
turboman808
Well I am not gonna put a chevy motor in a ford.

Next thiing I will be putting a wrx motor in a 914 biggrin.gif
byndbad914
QUOTE(jimtab @ Sep 29 2006, 03:56 PM) *

Oh yeah...that 260/289/302...hell nobody ever won a race with those engines... screwy.gif poke.gif

Werd.

Tim's favorite engine of all time: 289 Ford, stock HiPo block, stock HiPo crank and rods (with heat-treat/nitride/ARP studs and bolts) and so forth with Dart Windsor heads (only thing really available in the early 90s) and a big roller. Ran low-9s in a 68 Mustang Coupe at LACR (not altitude corrected). Launched off the trans brake at 6500prm with a 150shot nitrous, shifted into 2nd at 8500, second 250 stage came in for 400HP nitrous overall shot. Geared to go out the back at 9000rpm.

Car was not 4-linked or anything crazy, just slicks, good springs and pinion angle setup and so forth, 90/10 front shocks - the typical stuff but the owner clearly really new how to set a car up as that was fast as hell for what it was wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif HOw the hell that stock block stayed together, let alone those little rods, is still an amazing thing to me to this day and wouldn't believe the story if I wasn't there to experience it myself.

Course that motor was re-bearinged every season because the nitrous was rough and the main caps tended to show a little chatter with all that juice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.