Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kardex Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Rusty
I posted in the garage before... I got two COAs from Porsche last month. I wasn't happy with some of the information on the... including codes and colors that were obviously inaccurate (i.e. there was no "cinnamon interior" in 1973). I understand stuff happens, but for a hundred bucks for a piece of paper, I want it to be correct.

So I wrote them back, asking for corrections. That was a month ago. There were some delays as they were working out the "new paper" or whatever for the Kardex's. Okay.

I got a reply yesterday saying that they would not put the original dealership on the COAs because of "privacy concerns". I thought that used to be one of the selling points of the Kardex.

My 914-6 will probably never be concours... but I'm thinking that the Aubergine car has potential to be really special again. I had hoped these documents would help me in that arena.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Cheers,
Lawrence
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Sep 27 2006, 06:12 AM) *

I posted in the garage before... I got two COAs from Porsche last month. I wasn't happy with some of the information on the... including codes and colors that were obviously inaccurate (i.e. there was no "cinnamon interior" in 1973). I understand stuff happens, but for a hundred bucks for a piece of paper, I want it to be correct.

So I wrote them back, asking for corrections. That was a month ago. There were some delays as they were working out the "new paper" or whatever for the Kardex's. Okay.

I got a reply yesterday saying that they would not put the original dealership on the COAs because of "privacy concerns". I thought that used to be one of the selling points of the Kardex.

My 914-6 will probably never be concours... but I'm thinking that the Aubergine car has potential to be really special again. I had hoped these documents would help me in that arena.

Lawrence,

I think the purity-of-information provided by the Kardex is history. I got the first COA's for my cars when they cost $10 & they still didn't disclosed the dealers (which are both long gone). When I got the second set, because I'm a bonehead & lost the first, they were $20 & told me the same stuff. Iwas unaware that these things had gone up to $100! My $20 set was only 5 years ago - what's going on there?

However, I do have the as-delivered info for each, which matches the cars (sans dealer name). So, it is still useful info.

With that, I'm very curious about your Aubergine car. That's always been one of my favorite colors, but don't haven't ever seen it as origianal to a 914. Not that it couldn't have been "paint-to-sample". What's the story? Pic's?

Pat G.
sixerdon
As Pat says, the COA's don't print out who the dealer was. Fortunately, my 3 914's all came with the original warranty books which gives the names, dates and all the good info. I wasn't too impressed with the COA's I got many years ago regarding useful information. However, knowing that you get matching numbers with the VIN and engine is exciting. On the flip side, the transmission number is "Not Recorded" on all 914 COA's (my '75, too).
For optional equipment, one of my sixes states; "Canadian Equipment" That's it! It had me looking for snow shoes or a ski rack. It's a known fact that there were no "official" imports of sixes to Canada. I suspect the researcher saw CA and thought is was for Canada. The car was sold in Reno, Nevada.
So the only useful info I got for my $35 (then) was that I have matching numbers.

Don
Rusty
Actually, the cost for one certificate, including shipping, is 115.95. They'll combine the shipping costs for two.

Kristen, the lady I've been corresponding with, is very nice. I doubt she does the actual researching. It was implied that PCNA doesn't actually do the certificates, but that the task has been contracted out.

I understand that, after 30 years, some records could be lost... but was kind of shocked that some things were outright inaccurate, or that they might make something up.

Maybe we need a 914-savvy guy in the contractor's office, hey? :-)

-Lawrence
Rusty
Hi Pat,

The information I have about the car is a little vague. It was not well loved when I bought it about a year ago, sight unseen, from the PO in California. I suspected it was going to be a project, but it turned out to be very solid, but cosmetically challenged.

Per the doorjam sticker, the car was produced in 12/72. The chassis tag is clearly stamped "98". Thorough inspection of areas that were apparently unmolested (inside of doors, under dash, hellhole) all showed what appears to be Aubergine paint. Unless this car was the recipient of a very thorough restoration before it's decline... the original color was Eggplant.

Along the line, someone decided that some other fruit color would be better than Eggplant... and resprayed the car this horrible raspberry. barf.gif

Also, I think the car may have been used as a kennel... as dog hair was EVERYWHERE... matted into the old carpet, under the dash, etc, etc. I'm (sadly) allergic to dogs... so a good cleaning (and carpet replacement) was a priority the morning before the drive back east to Kansas.

More to follow... smile.gif
Rusty
The front of the car...

Rusty
Doorjam and Karman tag...
Rusty
The interior, hellhole and rear trunk...
914runnow
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Sep 27 2006, 02:12 AM) *

Cheers,
Lawrence

poke.gif Welcome to the 'Push Me Pull You Porsche Dance!!
Hmmm when did I get mine????may 30 1995.....
When I got my 'first one'.......
It had Green as the Color and Rear heated window..
Of which neither was true or factual....
So my ex roomate which was a 'Mucky Muck' at Porsche Reno..
Set me up with the guy who did those at the time...
He said "what would you like it to say"??
REALLY!!!
I did just give him the stock low down as it was to be the ultimate
nut n bolt resto on the planet..
BUT..I did inquire WHY it was soooooooooo outtah whack!!
Karmann's records were the problem..NOT Porsche..
Remember our assembly for the fours were V/dub.....
They did require me to 'return' the wrong one..Blast!!!!!
Rusty
That's great. I think she's shown some willingness to work with me... which is good. I also snatched the option sheet (in german) that I will send to her. Hopefully, common sense will prevail.

I read the rules for the 2006 Parade - a Kardex was required for preservation class. Hmmmm.

-Lawrence

P.S. I don't mind returning the incorrect documents.

P.P.S. I'm going into work in a bit... will post some pictures after the paint and interior were completed. None of this is Concours... but someday. smile.gif
Rusty
Here are a few pictures after the strip and repaint. Our own Dr. Evil coordinated to have the work done for me. He's a great guy.

At that point, the car was still missing a few parts, though. biggrin.gif

Damn, this makes me miss my babies. sad.gif

-Lawrence
tod914
Nice Lawrence! Didnt realize you had it painted. Looks like the good Doctor gave it a fresh bill of health.. or a fresh bill from a paintshop anyway. Staying with the Riverias or going with something else?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Sep 29 2006, 07:58 AM) *

Here are a few pictures after the strip and repaint. Our own Dr. Evil coordinated to have the work done for me. He's a great guy.

At that point, the car was still missing a few parts, though. biggrin.gif

Damn, this makes me miss my babies. sad.gif

-Lawrence

Lawrence,

Nice paint Job! May I suggest loosing the Rivieras for a set of 5 1/2 chromies? Boy, would they set that paint off (IMO)! Darker colors & chrome look great to me & make them more aggressive in appearance. Attached is my '72 at a Parade, with chrome's & A008's on (for the auto-x). Looked great but cost me to place second. I'd do it again, though. Just happen to love the look of dark colors & chrome.
Pat G.
Rusty
Actually, I have a set of Al Reed-prepared polished & powdercoated Fuchs in boxes, waiting for my return. I received them about a week before I left for Egypt... so I chose to leave them in the boxes.

-Lawrence
davep
I would not reject the Cinnamon color just yet. Cinnamon is brown and I have seen a few COA's listing this color. My interior sample books only give color codes, not color names for the the linings. If you can work with the girl, get the actual codes for the interior and any options. These codes will help establish the correlation between the codes and the terms.

Some of my pet peeves with the COA's I have seen are the lack of codes, the mention of 'Canada' or 'Spain' or 'Norway' equipment without an explanation of what each of these really means. They also mention engine #'s but not the engine code (W, EA, GA etc), so that sometimes leaves the reader guessing as to the engine model or size. The 'birth dates' are really kind of off base. Sometimes they give you a day in the middle of the month, other times they say it was the first day of the month. I don't think that over 50% of the cars were built on the first day of the month. Sometimes the date given does not match the Compliance decal date code either. I'd like to actually see a copy of the Kardex for a 914 to see exactly what was recorded and in what format.

I know of one 914/6 that VW Canada actually imported in May 1970. There may be more, but they were very unusual.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(davep @ Oct 7 2006, 01:01 PM) *

I would not reject the Cinnamon color just yet. Cinnamon is brown and I have seen a few COA's listing this color. My interior sample books only give color codes, not color names for the the linings. If you can work with the girl, get the actual codes for the interior and any options. These codes will help establish the correlation between the codes and the terms.

Some of my pet peeves with the COA's I have seen are the lack of codes, the mention of 'Canada' or 'Spain' or 'Norway' equipment without an explanation of what each of these really means. They also mention engine #'s but not the engine code (W, EA, GA etc), so that sometimes leaves the reader guessing as to the engine model or size. The 'birth dates' are really kind of off base. Sometimes they give you a day in the middle of the month, other times they say it was the first day of the month. I don't think that over 50% of the cars were built on the first day of the month. Sometimes the date given does not match the Compliance decal date code either. I'd like to actually see a copy of the Kardex for a 914 to see exactly what was recorded and in what format.

I know of one 914/6 that VW Canada actually imported in May 1970. There may be more, but they were very unusual.

I suspect that the data garnered for 914's was casual, at best. Does ANYONE have a COA with the trans number? Yet, my vintage 911's have had everything you needed to know about them in the COA.

Still, $100+ for partial info is downright ludicrous!

TJB/914
Hi Guys,

Here's what my Kardex looks like. I got mine 10-yrs ago for about $25.00 dollars. Price sure has changed. I feel they don't give you enough info.

Tom
davep
I've been looking through the 50+ COA's I have on file. Lots of differences, several errors, and not much of great value for sure. Tom, yours is quite an early one. Lots are undated, so I'll have to figure the period of preparation by the signatures; Ford, Schwab, Schwarzenbauer, Stone. Adams numbered his, but Stone only used 7400 and later 7401, so why did he bother?
T H O M A S
my 72 aubergine car had brown interior
ClayPerrine
I currently have temporary custody of Lawrence's Purple ( poke.gif ) 914. The Al Reed Fuchs came back from Kansas with me. After the reparis to the backend of the car are done, I am going to get them mounted for him. I have an extra set of factory lug bolts that I am getting replated, and I am also going to dig through my parts stash and find a side marker light for it.

And there will be one other change that will happen, but it's going to take longer.... biggrin.gif
Bleyseng
Clay, post some pics of the repair. mueba.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Oct 14 2006, 09:27 AM) *

Clay, post some pics of the repair. mueba.gif

The initial eval is done on the car. Repiars will start after MUSR 8. Richard is going so he won't be home working on LB's car.

sixerdon
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Oct 9 2006, 06:30 PM) *

Hi Guys,

Here's what my Kardex looks like. I got mine 10-yrs ago for about $25.00 dollars. Price sure has changed. I feel they don't give you enough info.

Tom

I notice Brad Ripley signed it. He worked for Stoddard for many years going back to the late 70's when Stoddard saw the need to get in the business of restoration parts. When Stoddard sold to Porsche, Brad moved to Reno where he worked for PCNA. He now has his own business "NLA limited" for 356's. He might shed some light on what the Kardex looked like and what information it had. Also, Bret Johnson has done a lot of research at the factory going through thousands of Kardex's of mostly 356's. Either one could answer some of the questions we have.
Don
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Oct 9 2006, 10:30 PM) *

Hi Guys,

Tom

Where is Brad Ripley today?

I first met him in the mid-70's, when he was at Stoddard P/A & drove a (I think) 2.8 twin plug 914/6. I've done some moving & so has he since, but is he still around & into 914's?
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.