Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Upgraded 914 Cooling Systems, ie DTM
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
Has anyone here installed a DTM in their 914? I have some questions.

1. Is there cooling data available comparing to stock?
2. Do you lose your heater?
3. I may be wrong, but there seems to be a lot of opinions that the 911 style shroud that you see on a lot of Beetles is more look than function. But judging from the VW magazines, there is a pretty big demand for them. If so, why hasn't somebody designed one with the correct internals that allow for the proper flow of air? It seems like you would sell a lot to people who want "that look".
Crazyhippy
The Raby stuff has the proper internals, and should work really really well.

Some of the others flow lots of air, but do not direct it in any major way, so the engine will have hot and cold spots (very no bueno)

1. Jake has data, and has posted it on this board
2. Dont believe so, as you can retain the stock exhaust if you so desire
3. there are several designs available for the "look." As far as I know, Jakes is the only one designed for function 1st, and looks 2nd.

BJH
Mark Henry
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Sep 27 2006, 03:10 PM) *

Has anyone here installed a DTM in their 914? I have some questions.

1. Is there cooling data available comparing to stock?
2. Do you lose your heater?
3. I may be wrong, but there seems to be a lot of opinions that the 911 style shroud that you see on a lot of Beetles is more look than function. But judging from the VW magazines, there is a pretty big demand for them. If so, why hasn't somebody designed one with the correct internals that allow for the proper flow of air? It seems like you would sell a lot to people who want "that look".

1 Just the testing that Jake has done.

2 yes

3 It blows too much air which is just as bad. The best 911 kit I've done is the sharpbuilt, it cools fine but it on a pretty mild engine. I've also used a FAT shroud what a POS, that of course is IMHO.
Brad Roberts
I have installed one DTM. We will dyno the engine in the next few weeks.

It is perfectly designed for what we need and uses common VW parts to accomplish it.

We are going to use it in a chassis with NO other engine tin in place. We will measure temps as time goes on.

I dealt with my first FAT upright engine in 1994. We used the 5 blade 2.7 911 fan and it worked flawlessly for years and years in a competitive SCCA GT3 914 2.0 that we spun on stock rods to 8k RPM (seriously modded rods that is)

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.