Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vacuum advance/retard dizzy...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brando
I'm having trouble locating a rebuild kit for my stock 1.8 distributor. I don't have the money to upgrade to an optical setup, and I have a .009 on the shelf that's rebuilt (don't know what springs to use though). I was thinking it might be a better idea to rebuild my stock 1.8 dizzy than use the 009. Although, with the 009 I can replace the springs with something else to get a better advance curve (maybe?). Any way I can change the total advance on it? Messing with the stop plate comes to mind, but I don't want to destroy a good distributor to experiment.

Any spring reccommendations? the Grey/grey springs used in the mallory units, or are those a different size/length?

As for the stock unit I have, the vacuum pots are fuch't... I think I can get 'em from Porsche, but I've yet to check.
zen motorcycle
I don't know anything about what model the 1.8 uses, but I just picked up a rebuild kit for my 2.o djet from these guys

http://www.allzim.com/

Kap'n krusty said to ask for a rebuild kit for a cast iron dizzy for a 356. They also had the bushings for the shaft. Model number on the parts strated with NLA so they may be limited.

Even if the dizzy's are different they will probably be able to help you.

beerchug.gif

P.S. I know crap about dizzys so take it with a grain of salt

Brando
icon_bump.gif Anyone know if I can re-curve this 009 with different springs?
Cap'n Krusty
I have ONE suitable NEW vacuum can left. I can also supply a new breaker plate. If you need the fiber washer or the metal ones, for the shaft, Stoddard had (had?) rebuild kits for 356 distributors that have them. The bushings don't usually wear out, but there are Volvo parts that fit. Dunno the part number, though. Generally, the breaker plate and vacuum capsule fix 'em. The Cap'n
zen motorcycle
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 2 2006, 01:48 PM) *

I have ONE suitable NEW vacuum can left. I can also supply a new breaker plate. If you need the fiber washer or the metal ones, for the shaft, Stoddard had (had?) rebuild kits for 356 distributors that have them. The bushings don't usually wear out, but there are Volvo parts that fit. Dunno the part number, though. Generally, the breaker plate and vacuum capsule fix 'em. The Cap'n

hijacked.gif

How much for the vacuume can?
Brando
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 2 2006, 10:48 AM) *

Eggcellent Krusty. PM sent!

~B
Aaron Cox
Mallory = blow your mind smile.gif
zen motorcycle
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Oct 2 2006, 07:42 PM) *

Mallory = blow your mind smile.gif

I thought you could only run a mallory if you had Carbs? confused24.gif
bd1308
or L-Jet or Megasquirt or SDS or LINK or the Mazda FI system or the GM FI system
zen motorcycle
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Oct 3 2006, 09:48 AM) *

or L-Jet or Megasquirt or SDS or LINK or the Mazda FI system or the GM FI system

Just not the D- Jet then mad.gif
Twystd1
Brando,

Unless you put the dizzy on a distributor machine.

You won't know if it has the proper advance curve.

I know a guy that is familiar with ACVW that has a dizzy machine.

I don't know the cost.

I highly suggest you think about that as an option.

Just a thought bro.

C
bd1308
QUOTE(zen motorcycle @ Oct 3 2006, 01:14 PM) *

Well actually there is somebody (wish i was involved in it) making a drop in module for the mallory that uses the optical trigger to trigger the injectors for djet.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Oct 3 2006, 01:13 PM) *

Well actually there is somebody (wish i was involved in it) making a drop in module for the mallory that uses the optical trigger to trigger the injectors for djet.

mueller and fiid
zen motorcycle
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Oct 3 2006, 04:15 PM) *

QUOTE(bd1308 @ Oct 3 2006, 01:13 PM) *

mueller and fiid

I read the thread on that, but thought it wasn't available yet
Brando
Update,
I put a 009 on there for the time being. Set it and it runs great now. No more flat spot between 2000 and 3500 rpms smile.gif
bd1308
Lemme let you on a little secret, the 009 does fine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.