Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Making Auto-xing a family sport
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
914forme
Well I have been talking for some time how to get my family more involded in something I enjoy. Standing off to the side and cheering just does not cut it. My son is now 10, my daughter is 13. So I have been looking for a Kart. Well today I finally found one, it will have to be tweaked a little to fit into the scca jr. Kart rules for Solo, but I can make it work the price was right.

For $350, I got a complete cart, minus engine. It is a CRG Kali comes with a couple sets of slicks, has an adjustable seat for kids, it was orginally an 80cc shifter. So I have to do a little modifing to make it work under the rules. But a CRG Kart is top of the line. Well worth the effort.

Maybe my kids will be better drivers, learn how to handle a car etc.... Now all I have to do is get my wife to co-drive the 914 with me, and we are set. Let grandpa, be the kids pit crew.

I pick it up this weekend pictures to follow.

So now I figure I need a small single axle trailer to haul the 914, and tires, and toss the cart in the bed of the truck. Or maybe a little longer single axle and the car, and kart can just stay on it. All in all it becomes a family sport, and we all get to spend more time togther blink.gif

Brad Roberts
Damn.

Your a good dad clap56.gif

I have been out and "dating" recently and I make sure that each and every one of them understand my involvement with the Porsche community and both the 914's and Boxsters.

I took one of them to ride go karts this past Friday night. She finished second behind me by 2 seconds and in front of 6 others..LOL

Thanks for the story. Glad to hear your family is into the motorsports scene.

B
URY914
Get one of these and you can take everybody and everything with you and look cool at the same time. I've taken my daughter go-karting and she can't wait to drive my car.
914forme
Thank you Brad for the kind words.

That truck is sick, don't think I could get the wife to drive that on long trips, like I can the pickup, event with a trailer she will drive the pickup.

Have you seen my car??????? It is not the coolest looking 914 out there. It has battle scares galore, it just does its job. Puts a huge grin on my face. It is getting better looking again, as I finish each small project, but I never figured looks helped it get around a course.
jhadler
QUOTE(914forme @ Sep 28 2006, 04:31 AM) *

...but I never figured looks helped it get around a course.

agree.gif Everthing looks great on the podium!!!

-Josh2
nebreitling
the kali is a great all-round chassis. it's going to be too stiff for the weight of most 10 and 13 year olds, but at $350, it's hard to go wrong. anything to get them out there early learning car control is worthwhile -- especially before they turn 16 and ask for the keys to dad's porsche....
914forme
"too stiff for the weight of most 10 and 13 year olds"

Okay so I have to add lead to their pockets. Got to love road huggin weight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.