Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A lttle bit fatter flare
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
John Kelly
Zach's car with a little more work done. More shape above the axle centerline and blended into the rest. I think it looks better than before when it had a slightly droopy appearance. Still needs a little more work.

The video is almost ready for editting. For those of you waiting, thanks for your patience!

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
redshift
smile.gif

I won't be able to do the whole car in an afternoon, huh?

M
Andyrew
Now that looks nice!!! I need to start working on my flares again... It would be nice to have a shape like that!! Then I could run bigger tires!! 275's mmmmmm
Glad I have those super long studs on the rear!!

Great job! Please hurry up on the video!
I have a friend who edits video's as his job, If you havent got anyone and cant find anyone I could give you his number..

Andrew
Andyrew
BTW how do you get that much flare out of the fender? Do you heat up the fender any? Like with a torch? I think im going to work on my fenders this weekend..

Andrew
John Kelly
Hi Andrew,

Heat shrinks, or creates less area by thickening the metal a bit, which is the exact opposite of what you want to do...stretch, or thin the metal creating more area. The only time I can think of that heat is used to move metal is when the material is too tough to be bent cold or when reducing area (shrinking). Sheet metal is easy to form (bend or roll) or shape (shrink or stretch).

Get a leather thriftstore purse with a handle on it, fill it with sand (non silica) hang it off the side of the car, and start pounding on the inside with a ballpeen hammer with the purse as a back up to the blows. Very simple. The slightly more difficult part is the smoothing. The right hammer and the right dolly are required to get good results. You'll have to wait for the video for more... one more thing, you just keep pounding and smoothing over and over to get this much shape. More would be possible, but I think it would start to look funny.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
GaroldShaffer
Man that looks nice. Can't wait to see some pics
when the car is done. I like that look, I never really
cared for the GT style flares.

- Garold (aka 914 Fred Sanford)
Mike9142.0
Will flareing the fender like this leave the metal thin and easy to dent?
redshift
I am choking on my drink.

M
John Kelly
The metal is only slightly thinner. The stretching is spread out over the whole area. The shape makes it much stronger, and more dent resistant than the stock fender.

Thanks, John www.ghiaspecialties.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.