Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 noob tranny problems?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ddog87
Just recently bought a 1976 914 that was wrecked to the rt rear quarter panel, hard enough that is pushed the motor and tranny to the left. The shift rod looked like it was bent so I got another one hoping that it would cure my problem. The problem is the tranny will not go into reverse, the shifter will just not the tranny and it doesn;t seem to want to go into 5th gear I have not drove it on the street yet so I don't know if this is completly true. Is there any adjustment for the shifter?? any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks
mihai914
HERE is a link to a search for "shifter" and "adjust", turns out 4 pages of previous posts where I'm sure you will find good answers. If you aso have a chance and have a Haynes manual check out page 90.
ddog87
So I looked through the links about the trany linkage and thought I would just try to see if the thing had reverse period. This is a side shift tranny. As I am looking up at the bottom of the transmition the shift link that goes into the tranny, should be up and towards the rear correct???? I'll get a picture> Thanks
ddog87
IPB Image
Mueller
QUOTE(ddog87 @ Sep 28 2006, 11:40 AM) *

So I looked through the links about the trany linkage and thought I would just try to see if the thing had reverse period. This is a side shift tranny. As I am looking up at the bottom of the transmition the shift link that goes into the tranny, should be up and towards the rear correct???? I'll get a picture> Thanks

Reverse should be same direction as 2nd and 4th and that sound correct

Have someone shift the gears while you lay under the transmission to get an idea of how the linkage moves, you can also see if you have any major slop and see if the rod going into the transmission is moving enough. You can remove the long linkage bar and move the shift link that goes into the transmission by hand.

If you plan on keeping this car, I recommend getting the exploded views drawings available in the resource or classifieds section....it would have saved you some trouble by showing the "bent" linkage....
ddog87
[quote You can remove the long linkage bar and move the shift link that goes into the transmission by hand.

[/quote]
This is basicly what I did, I just disconnected it at the shifter in the car. So if this is the correct location for reverse, I have none confused24.gif devil.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.