Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Contemporary thoughts on waxing/polishing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
My 914 hasn't been waxed/polished in 6 years - hasn't been washed either. It gets cleaned, but only by dry methods.

My VW and Mercury (another story) get a random orbital polisher & Meguiar's products, which seems to work just fine.

My '73 911 & '72 914 have never been waxed/polished except by hand. In the past I've used Meguiars products for them also, but they don't seem to work as well by hand. Used Zymol a couple of times - OK, but not spectacular.

So....while the 911 is on the ground & the 914 on (you guessed it) jack stands I want to do both - still by hand. All of my waxes & polishes are now outdated, so I'm asking for recommensations from thos who use newer compounds.

Neither car has never spends a night outdoors. The 914 hasn't seen sun this entire year. The 911 is a driver - the 914 is a queen. Looking for something I can use on both.

Appreciate all contributions.
914runnow
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 27 2006, 06:11 PM) *

My 914 hasn't been waxed/polished in 6 years - hasn't been washed either. It gets cleaned, but only by dry methods.

My VW and Mercury (another story) get a random orbital polisher & Meguiar's products, which seems to work just fine.

My '73 911 & '72 914 have never been waxed/polished except by hand. In the past I've used Meguiars products for them also, but they don't seem to work as well by hand. Used Zymol a couple of times - OK, but not spectacular.

So....while the 911 is on the ground & the 914 on (you guessed it) jack stands I want to do both - still by hand. All of my waxes & polishes are now outdated, so I'm asking for recommensations from thos who use newer compounds.

Neither car has never spends a night outdoors. The 914 hasn't seen sun this entire year. The 911 is a driver - the 914 is a queen. Looking for something I can use on both.

Appreciate all contributions.

Didgah try the Griots Clay yet???
Then Griots fine polish..
Then their best of show wax!! clap56.gif
dcheek
Pat,
I'm assuming your car is not metallic. If that's the case I recommend hand rubbing with 3M Hand Glaze then a light application of Blitz wax. This is the only technique that works on my soft and very touchy original Malaga Red 914. There were many years where I would use the Hand Glaze only to remove the oxidation and not apply any wax. Reason: every wax I tried would leave a haze. The only trouble was that without an application of protecting wax the finish would oxidize very quickly. The Blitz wax has a high concentration of Carnuba and gives the finish an very deep shine. And compared to the Zymol products it is very reasonably priced.

Just as important as the products used, is the application technique. This will determine the quality of the outcome. This is best demonstrated in person. How far is Blue Bell from Westfield NJ?

Dave
Porsche Rescue
I also like 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. I have been told (read?) that it is best to apply it "in the direction the wind passes over the car", rather than with a circular motion. I then use McGuires yellow paste wax.
RustyWa
QUOTE(914runnow @ Sep 28 2006, 09:54 PM) *

Didgah try the Griots Clay yet???
Then Griots fine polish..
Then their best of show wax!! clap56.gif

Yep..The Griots stuff is what I use.

Wash the car completely. You must clay the car before applying any wax or rubbing on the car. Use the clay WITH Speed Shine to get all the crude off the paint. This will make the car feel smooth as glass. Fine Hand Polish works good, then Best of Show wax is there liquid carnuba. Goes on and comes off nice.

I've used the 3M Hand Glaze and it is good stuff. I agree with the "in the direction the wind passes over the car". Hides the swirls.
anthony
I've been using Menzerna polishes with a Porter Cable Random Orbital. For paint in good shape you can go straight to their Final Polish and then wax. If you need more agressive polishing there is Menzerna Intensive Polish that really isn't all that intensive.

For my daily driver I finish it using Klasse acrylic sealant and on the garage queens I've been using P21 Carnuba wax.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(anthony @ Oct 1 2006, 06:13 PM) *

I've been using Menzerna polishes with a Porter Cable Random Orbital. For paint in good shape you can go straight to their Final Polish and then wax. If you need more agressive polishing there is Menzerna Intensive Polish that really isn't all that intensive.

For my daily driver I finish it using Klasse acrylic sealant and on the garage queens I've been using P21 Carnuba wax.

OK, this is one of the reasons I asked. Yep, have the PCRO & have used it for years (~15) on the "other" cars. Porsches have always had wax applied by hand & by nude when I could talk the wife into it! But, I will NEVER take a machine to my Porsche paint!

My bahia red paint is nearly perfect and (just between us wierdos) was clearcoated in 1979.

I'm not at all familiar with Menzerna polishes - enlighten me please!?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(dcheek @ Sep 30 2006, 07:46 AM) *

Pat,
I'm assuming your car is not metallic. If that's the case I recommend hand rubbing with 3M Hand Glaze then a light application of Blitz wax. This is the only technique that works on my soft and very touchy original Malaga Red 914. There were many years where I would use the Hand Glaze only to remove the oxidation and not apply any wax. Reason: every wax I tried would leave a haze. The only trouble was that without an application of protecting wax the finish would oxidize very quickly. The Blitz wax has a high concentration of Carnuba and gives the finish an very deep shine. And compared to the Zymol products it is very reasonably priced.

Just as important as the products used, is the application technique. This will determine the quality of the outcome. This is best demonstrated in person. How far is Blue Bell from Westfield NJ?

Dave

Dave
Dave, I'm about 80 miles from you. Happy to have you for a weekend & show me what you've learned - interested in your techniques. Though I work on Saturdays, happy to have you for a weekend so you can show me your stuff!

Let's see if we can get together. By the way, though you'de never drive it that far, I'd really like to see your 914, but would be just as happy w/one the Vdubs
Pat
IronHillRestorations
I have had some very good results with Zaino products. A little more involved, but it works!

http://www.zainostore.com/
Pat Garvey
Thanks guys for the info!

Lotsa products I'm not familiar with, except Griot's. I'll do some more research and, Hopefully, a play be play with what I choose.

Pat
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 2 2006, 09:06 PM) *

Thanks guys for the info!

Lotsa products I'm not familiar with, except Griot's. I'll do some more research and, Hopefully, a play be play with what I choose.

Pat

I concur with the use of the 3-M Imperial hand glaze...its the easiest to use with a good quality cotton diaper or all cotton cloth. I find best usage with the darker tan product, not the white or lighter product. It doesn't "dust" up the finish as badly when removing it. Stays a little more moist or 'wet' on the finish when removing.

I then use The Wax Shops -Super Glaze. A real thin and easily applied , easily removed liquid wax. Its superb....cannot say enough about it.

Both our Porsches have only had hand applications of either the hand glaze or the Super Glaze. NO machines EVER. And I must say the resulting finishes, show little cobwebbing, or any swirling. I love the result.....producing the right amount of depth to the O.E orange peel finish on the 44, and the almost glass smooth and 1/4 inch deep look to the cleared 1995 paint on the 914. ( I know....its not oe looking, but try and get painters to mess up a perfectly flat finish by orange peeling it up to satisfy some German car nuts ideas of a proper look.) Oh well, I tried. Even tho I paid for it, they got their way.

Bear in mind , both cars stay almost their entire life inside, and only get a shot of sun, when they are in transit to a show or the track, or on weekend spirited runs. They are NOT, and never will be, daily drivers. So the paint finishes remain almost as they came out of the paint booth. Tis remarkable what proper sheltering from the elements produce in a return on investment.
jonferns
so, overall, what is recommended???
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Apr 30 2007, 01:25 PM) *

so, overall, what is recommended???

Well, I still haven't done the topside, but since the 914 is up & I'm under, thought the suspension pieces needed some help removing spider poop. Brought the old trustworthy (that is, for bottom side pieces) Zymol. Seems to work great for waxing small pieces, but I'll never use it on the topside again. Jury's still out for that, though I still lean towards Meguiar's products. We'll see in about a month.

Sidebar - figured that as long as I was changin the entires set of FI hosing, I may as well start getting the 914 ready for Charlotte next year. Going after my third class win & hopefully division. Unfortunately, I'll have to go against my best bud & a freshly restored 914. Won't be easy.
blitZ
I've been using the Klasse All-in-One and the acrylic sealer on my boat and cars for several years now. It creates a deep shine that lasts a long time. It's got to be the easiest wax I've every used. I can do my 914 in 15 minutes. It might seem expensive, however a little goes a long way.

Klasse
jonferns
would this "klasse" stuff be recomended???
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.