Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trans mail seal, how to get out?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TGM

.....main seal.....

Hello Club,

After a 2 year hiatus getting my MBA, I'm back full force into the 914 addiction. Finally got new engine installed (2270 TIV) and after 100 miles, back on the jack stands again. This time its a tranny leak and slipping clutch due to oil contamination. Before I get agressive and screw something up, I need help with some tricks to get the mainshaft seal out. I'm hopeful its just a bad seal but this part was recently replaced. Can the shaft wear to be undersized on the O.D. sealing area? Also, can I successfully clean clutch disk with brake cleaner?

Thanks for the help

T.G.
Mueller
QUOTE(TGM @ Sep 27 2006, 08:06 PM) *

.....main seal.....

Hello Club,

After a 2 year hiatus getting my MBA, I'm back full force into the 914 addiction. Finally got new engine installed (2270 TIV) and after 100 miles, back on the jack stands again. This time its a tranny leak and slipping clutch due to oil contamination. Before I get agressive and screw something up, I need help with some tricks to get the mainshaft seal out. I'm hopeful its just a bad seal but this part was recently replaced. Can the shaft wear to be undersized on the O.D. sealing area? Also, can I successfully clean clutch disk with brake cleaner?

Thanks for the help

T.G.

google "seal puller"............about $10 from Sears
Bleyseng
or use a screwdriver to pry it out carefully going around the edge without hitting the aluminum case.

If your mainshaft is loose like floppying around you might need to replace the bearings.

or if you don't have the proper spacer in the crankend (#3) so the needle bearing in the flywheel (#22) the mainshaft will flop around causing lots of tranny oil to fly around.

be sure to determine if its tranny oil -smell like sulfur, oil engine oil-bad rear main seal
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.