Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: All rear glass is clear?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson
Hi,

I have tinted glass on all my side windows, but a clear rear window. I called Parts Heaven to purchase a tinted rear window, but they dug through 40 and said they were all clear and didn't think 914s ever had tinted rear windows. True?

I just thought my rear window had been mismatched, but maybe not... ?

-Steve
Jenny
I don't think factory tint started appearing until fairly recently. I don't think ANY porsches are tinted, except maybe the new SUV.

Jen
siverson
It's not like a tinted film, but more "blue-ish" glass than totally clear. I'm pretty sure the "blue" glass was factory, but the plot thickens... ? I'd put a picture up, but I don't think it would help... Maybe I'll try tonight.

-Steve
Jenny
blue glass (like old coke bottle green, but blue, right?) has usually been treated with UV protectant. I believe that comes factory on all cars. At least since the awareness of skin cancer, whenever that was. confused24.gif What do I know, I used to work in a tint shop. laugh.gif

Jen
MarkV
I think you are correct. Side glass was available w/ a slight tint as a option. The rear window is always clear.
Part Pricer
Back on point, I don't remember ever seeing a tinted rear window. I believe that you could get a car with the sides tinted, not the back
SirAndy
QUOTE(Paul Heery @ Oct 30 2003, 04:51 PM)
Back on point, I don't remember ever seeing a tinted rear window. I believe that you could get a car with the sides tinted, not the back

we have one in the shop. wink.gif
same greenish/blueish tint like all the other windows ...

Andy
Jenny
Pst! I'm not white, therefore I don't belong in Jeff/Alfred's perfect little arian world. And DAMN proud of it! flag.gif

Jen
davep
AFAIK the only variations on the rear window was heated or not. I believe the windshield could be shaded, or tinted and shaded as well as clear.

DaveP
redshift
QUOTE(Jenny @ Oct 30 2003, 09:16 PM)
I don't belong in Jeff/Alfred's perfect little arian world. And DAMN proud of it! flag.gif

Jen

Good thing, it's infested with male butt sex.

I saw a special about it on HBO.

M
GWN7
Man that's funny "HBO"
laugh.gif beer.gif clap56.gif agree.gif
campbellcj
FWIW, I dunno if you really want a significantly tinted rear window. (The factory tint, if any, was probably extremely light.) The PO of my car had all the side/rear glass tinted to a medium shade. It was a very nice job i.e. no bubbles or obvious borders...but I could not see SQUAT out the back. I had to rip the film off just to perform basic functions like backing out of the driveway. It obviously has a lot to do with the severe angle of the glass in the 914, and the lighting/reflection conditions from the rear view mirror. My Audi has "limo tint" on the back glass and I can see perfectly. confused24.gif
GWN7
It would also depend on your state laws, what you can put on the windows. Here if it didn't come from the factory, it's against the law. Several police departments got tired of walking up to blacked out windows and not being able to see if/what was in the car.
914Timo
I have tinted rear window wink.gif

.... but it is custom made here from blue glass. The original was clear.

It is very light tinted like the doors and I have no problems seeing through it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.