Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kinda OT: Need to Ship a Motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nor.Cal.914
I have my 2.0 four cylinder that I'm selling and I need to ship it in a crate towards the east. Who ships stuff this big? Let me know! Thanks
-Chris
roadster fan
If the motor is crated any freight company should be able to ship for you. They require all fluids be drained, and it makes it easier/cheaper if it is dropped off at the freight dock and picked up at the freight dock on the other end. This eliminates the need for a forklift or lift gate at pickup/delivery.

I shipped a boxster s 3.2 motor and tranny in a crate from Maryland to California for about $500 IIRC.

Call around and get quotes and save some money. I used a company (forget the name) that was close to the seller.

Hope this helps

Jim
McMark
Save yourself any trouble. Go to FreightQuote.com. thumb3d.gif Quick easy, and cheap.
Mueller
we use http://www.forwardair.com/

make sure you know what the guy on the recieving end has available...ie, shipping dock (standard height?) forklift, bussiness address or residential with no means of taking the motor off the truck and if he'll need to have a truck with a lift gate...the truck driver does not have to deliever the motor to the guys garage, he could leave it in the street for all he cares..

.....communicate with the buyer (he needs to do some homework on this as well)

if they show up and he has no means of getting the motor off, "someone" is going to get charged a bunch more and that might be you.....
BenT
QUOTE(Nor.Cal.914 @ Sep 27 2006, 09:25 PM) *

I have my 2.0 four cylinder that I'm selling and I need to ship it in a crate towards the east. Who ships stuff this big? Let me know! Thanks
-Chris

Chris,

Try Forwardair.com. I've shipped engines through them from California to the East Coast for less than $200. You do have to put the package on a pallet. They are a depot-to-depot outfit meaning you have to drop off at their depot which are typically near some metropolitan airport. There are feeder truck services available if you can't pick-up your package. The cool part is you don't really need a crate -- just a pallet and straps.

They are also good on very large items. I shipped two pallets full of household goods with each pallet weighing in at over 500 pounds. Roughly dimensions were 4' X 4 ' and 6' high. My total cost was only about $480 from Lincoln, Nebaska to South San Francisco, California. Compare that to the freight quote of over $4,000.

The downside is you have to pay them with a money order for the exact amoount unless you have already set-up an account with them. The routine is bring package; get quote; get money order; pay and go. They also only keep the parcel one day w/o storage fees.

BenT
(damn, i've hit 100 postings w/o noticing)
Nor.Cal.914
Thanks for your help guys! I'll check out that forwardair one, it sounds pretty good. Thanks
-Chris
BenT
QUOTE(Nor.Cal.914 @ Sep 29 2006, 02:24 PM) *

Thanks for your help guys! I'll check out that forwardair one, it sounds pretty good. Thanks
-Chris

You're welcome, Chris. I would have thought they would have a place near you but looks like SFO is closest. Lucky me I'm only a couple of miles away from them.

Name: FORWARD AIR, INC
Address: 408 LITTLEFIELD AVENUE
S. SAN FRANCISCO , CA 94080

Phone: 650-794-9773
Fax: 650-794-9923

There is a post office open until midnight a mile or so down the road for when you need to run for the money order.

USPS Airport Mail Center
660 W Field RD
San Francisco

Don't let the address fool you. The are actually more South San Francisco but the airport is techincally part of San Francisco hence the funky address.

BenT
PanelBilly
You have the choices of doing an EXCELLENT job of packaging or doing a reasonable job of packaging and paying for extra insurance. The amount of $ you will receive if there's freight damage won't begin to cover the value of the engine.

I recommend going overboard on the packaging. Enerything in the crate needs to be secured in place. Your crate will be transferred several times from truck to dock to truck before it reaches its new home and these folks get paid to move materals quickly. Also the vibration of the truck will cause an unsecured shipment to fly around in the container. Don't let anything overhang your pallet. They will be pushing your pallet right up to another and you want the pallet to take the forse, not part of your engine.

Check with your freinds and find a local business that ships via commercial carrier frequently. They will have a prearranged dicounts and 70% off is not unusual. Now that freight is de-regulated freight companies use different base prices so discount is not the only way of comparing your final cost. All the carriers now add an additional cost for fuel and that may not be part of the discounted formula. You could probley offer a business that has a discount a good profit on their cost and still save a ton of money over doing it yourself
Nor.Cal.914
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Sep 29 2006, 02:42 PM) *

You have the choices of doing an EXCELLENT job of packaging or doing a reasonable job of packaging and paying for extra insurance. The amount of $ you will receive if there's freight damage won't begin to cover the value of the engine.

I recommend going overboard on the packaging. Enerything in the crate needs to be secured in place. Your crate will be transferred several times from truck to dock to truck before it reaches its new home and these folks get paid to move materals quickly. Also the vibration of the truck will cause an unsecured shipment to fly around in the container. Don't let anything overhang your pallet. They will be pushing your pallet right up to another and you want the pallet to take the forse, not part of your engine.

Check with your freinds and find a local business that ships via commercial carrier frequently. They will have a prearranged dicounts and 70% off is not unusual. Now that freight is de-regulated freight companies use different base prices so discount is not the only way of comparing your final cost. All the carriers now add an additional cost for fuel and that may not be part of the discounted formula. You could probley offer a business that has a discount a good profit on their cost and still save a ton of money over doing it yourself

Thanks for the advice! I'll make sure to pack it properly with sufficient padding. Thanks
-Chris
sixnotfour
Here is a crate a member shipped a 2.0 T4 to me 200.00 Mich. to WA. ,
frieght quote.com
Any Locals want the crate come and get it, going to the recyclerss soon.
Nor.Cal.914
I wish you were local, I would come get that crate from you. Where did you get it from? Let me know. Thanks
-Chris
Racing916
I might be to late but if you go to freight101.com they are quick and easy, I have shipped motors 4 times with them and they are around $260-300, from NY to Washington State. Never had a problem
spare time toys
QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 28 2006, 12:19 AM) *

we use http://www.forwardair.com/

make sure you know what the guy on the recieving end has available...ie, shipping dock (standard height?) forklift, bussiness address or residential with no means of taking the motor off the truck and if he'll need to have a truck with a lift gate...the truck driver does not have to deliever the motor to the guys garage, he could leave it in the street for all he cares..

.....communicate with the buyer (he needs to do some homework on this as well)

if they show up and he has no means of getting the motor off, "someone" is going to get charged a bunch more and that might be you.....

agree.gif They were the easiest way to send a BIG crate to the west coast from Dallas. They had the best price also. Get an online quote and a number for the shipment then show up with that number and a money order and you are good to go. beerchug.gif
michaelt55
go to www.uship.com

I had my 914 shipped to me...in an enclosed trailer for $400. They move any large items..

Michael
sixnotfour
I wish you were local, I would come get that crate from you. Where did you get it from? Let me know. Thanks
-Chris

DSMeyers, (club name) Built it for me to send the motor I bought from him. Ships from 98026 dimensions are 30"x42"x15"tall about 180lbs.
william harris
Be careful about the hidden terms inserted by shippers in their bills of lading. They often limit their liability per certain self-imposed "tariffs" to literally a few cents per pound. If you don't believe me, ask Raby who was burned on this sort of deal. Same warning regarding so-called "insurance" offered - the fine print oftens limits coverage for used engines to almost nothing. Buyer Beware chair.gif
jdogg
'nother vote for Forward Air....shipped my 6 from Seattle to Raleigh NC for about 250 clams last year....1/3 of other quotes I got...
Nor.Cal.914
I'm definitely going to look into using Forward Air since that sounds like the cheapest and easiest way. Thanks for all the help so far.
-Chris
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.