Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question on Fiberglass Gt bumpers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Racing916
I am wondering where the best place to get a good fitting GT fiberglass bumper and flared GT valance is. I currently have a 916 front bumper and an Oil cooler set up up front and really like the look of a 916 bumper, any help would be appreciated. Also Ihave checked out the GT-racing.com page and they seem to have nice stuff, how well does there stuff fit??

Thanks
Steve
Bleyseng
I thougth Getty made the best fiberglass parts as they actually fit and are made from good molds.

Jeroen
http://www.gettydesign.com/
Racing916
Cool, thanks for the help
North Bay 914
I speak as one who purchased GT products (GT front and rear bumpers, flared valence), no here say. They are so bad, that wondered if they were actually for a 914 when I held them up to the car. I never installed the rear bumper because it simply does not fit. The front fits horribly after very much prep work/fittment.

Save yourself a BIG headache, try another vendor. The biggest problem with fiberglass parts that I was informed of, here in the US, there are really only a couple of companies making the parts, but a whole bunch selling them. Ask if Getty use there own molds, and hope they are truthful.

I have never heard bad things about Getty myself. If you buy from them please post the info about the quality.

Martin
Aaron Cox
i have been to getty, nice stuff and they must own their own molds.... as i have never heard about thing about em, and when i got there, they had just finished making them....

nice guys, best fit.

AIR sucks big time! my GT valence is like flat...when the nose of the car is curved!
Mueller
QUOTE(Racing916 @ Sep 28 2006, 05:53 AM) *

I am wondering where the best place to get a good fitting GT fiberglass bumper and flared GT valance is. I currently have a 916 front bumper and an Oil cooler set up up front and really like the look of a 916 bumper, any help would be appreciated. Also Ihave checked out the GT-racing.com page and they seem to have nice stuff, how well does there stuff fit??

Thanks
Steve

ditto on the Getty stuff...however, don't be too upset if it's not a perfect fit due to the install of your flares which might or might not me installed to match.

ChicagoPete
All of my fiberglass on my car came from Gary Wigglesworth who is now dead but, did own the Sunoco GT...his stuff was very good.

I have heard that his son is continuing to run the business

Translog of Dover, PA

Hope this helps

Peter
ninepfourteen
I have Getty front and rear bumpers and GT valance. Getty glass is the best I've worked with. That said, FG is all about trial and fit. To my experience, none of it fits 914's like you'd expect. You can't buy it and install it without lots of effort.
type47
idea.gif what would you rather have: 914-6 GT front hood, replica for 750 or 914 hood in carbon hood for 799? same question for 914-6 GT rear decklid and 914 decklid?
pete-stevers
of course fitment is always the issue...i have bought from gt, hank is great with helping out...yes it needs some fitment....but i will by again from him....
Racing916
cool, thanks for the reply's I wish there were more aftermarket fiberglass options beside the old look GT style and the 916 bumper, I will keep searching thanks steve
Evill Ed
QUOTE(ChicagoPete @ Sep 28 2006, 10:00 AM) *

All of my fiberglass on my car came from Gary Wigglesworth who is now dead but, did own the Sunoco GT...his stuff was very good.

Translog of Dover, PA

Hope this helps

Peter

What happened to Gary? sad.gif
When did he die?

Ed
Evill Ed
The last fiberglass 914 stuff that I got from Hank at GT Racing was poor. I used his whole kit on a 914-6 I built for list member Nick Cole. I had to heat and reshape the flares to get a good fit. I got a good fit on the bumpers, but I spent several hours trimming and fitting them. I also had to make brackets and spcers to fit them properly, the molded in mounts were a joke. The front GT valance would not fit at all. It did not fit the front pan, was too short and the the flared ends did not match the flares at all. I was really disappointed.
I have used alot of Hank's stuff over the years and have always been happy with it.
On a positive note, I did a Carbon Fiber RSR kit on my brother in-laws 911 this winter with GT's kit and every piece fit nicely.

I would use the facotry bumpers, especially if this is a street car.

Ed
Evill Ed
Here is the Carbon Fiber RSR

Ed
campbellcj
I also found that GT's quality varies a lot. I got front and rear bumpers at the same time, a few years ago. Hank told me (warned me?) on the phone that the rear would be great since it was from a brand new mold but the front wasn't. Sure 'nuff, the front required quite a lot of fitting as well as bracket fabrication, and the rear was much closer to a "bolt on" (although you still have to install brackets or in my case I did dzus fasteners.)

I'd check out Getty if I were doing it again...never heard a bad thing about them, unlike every other 'glass vendor out there.
ChicagoPete
QUOTE(Evill Ed @ Sep 28 2006, 05:38 PM) *

QUOTE(ChicagoPete @ Sep 28 2006, 10:00 AM) *

Translog of Dover, PA

Hope this helps

Peter

What happened to Gary? sad.gif
When did he die?

Ed

Gary died probably almost a year ago? He was in bad shape for a long time...and in a wheelchair for quite some time at the end of his life. He had sold the Sunoco car not too long before he died and was trying to sell the other 914/6 with a COMPLETE dealer GT package...don't hink that ever sold. He was asking quite a bit of money for something that needed to be built.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.