Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: shipping a car from west coast to east coast
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
anyone know ??
rmital
I received quotes from $900 to $1,200

...I still have their emails if you wanted me to forward them to you Jim.
blitZ
I paid $900 from NV to GA about a year ago.
Spoke
When I was looking for a car, I google'd "auto shipper" or something and found a couple of sites who represent 10 or 20 shippers. After filling out a form, I got about 15 responses, mostly email, one by phone; most within an hour or 2. Figure an extra $200 to $600 if the car is not operatable.

Spoke
nomore9one4
What are you looking at now Jim? blink.gif The trip to Iowa was not enough? alfred.gif biggrin.gif
rmital
QUOTE(Spoke @ Sep 28 2006, 05:34 AM) *

Figure an extra $200 to $600 if the car is not operatable.

..yeah...very important extra to consider.
tod914
Intercity is probally the best. That's an enclosed carrier. Probally $100 or so more than Dependable. Dependable damaged my 73 when shipped, and also shipped it in an open carrier when I paid for enclosed. Most people have had no problems with them. But I certinaly wouldn't reckomend them. Make sure the car is insured prior to shipping (zero deductable which u can change later). Easier to deal with your own company and have them pursue it, then the shippers if their is an issue. Good luck!
jimkelly
mostly i just like to get tabs on this info but ...

if i sell my house any time soon and replace it with a house that has a decent sized garage - my first $7000 plus $1500 for shipping is going here : )

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=60665

Jim
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Sep 28 2006, 06:28 AM) *

anyone know ??

Martin Baker just paid $1800 for enclosed door to door from Intercity I believe. Maybe he will chime in sometime today on this. This was East Coast to West Coast though...
jimkelly
I guess anything in between $1500 and $2000 for a known good transport company - depending on the current gas prices is fair - after all - it is a 3000 mile trip.

Picking it up personally either means driving there with a trailer on a gas guzzler, or flying in with airfare costs and driving back with gas, tools, wear and tear and potential break down potential.
Dr Evil
When I moved here from CA in 2005 I used DAS 9Dependable Auto Shippers) and the cost was $700 for each of my 2 vehicles. But that was lower level, open trailer.
tod914
Wow went up quite abit... I had my 75 shipped in 2001 for $900 from intercity. AR to NJ.
Porsche Rescue
I think DAS (Dependable Auto Shippers) must have rates and rates! I just paid $1100, Maine to Oregon, which is about as far as you can go in the lower 48. Open carrier and slow. I have used Intercity (probably one of the best and most costly) and FedEx (Passport) for enclosed if the car is worth protecting. I think FedEx is as good as Intercity and they charge less. All have online tracking. I have had decent service from DAS and used them this time because I didn't want to pay over $2000 to ship a $5000 car. They are really a broker and don't have their own trucks/drivers as do Intercity, FedEx and many others. My car took one month to move from a depot in Mass. to a depot 15 miles from my house. It sat for several days in 4 different locations waiting for a truck coming my direction. The extra loading/unloading is always a risk and it likely sat out in the elements at each stop. All in all, I was in no hurry and I saved at least $1000. As always, you usually get what you pay for.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.