Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: TechShop opens in Menlo Park, CA
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mightyohm
In case anyone here in the bay area is interested in co-op workshop type things:

I just got this email from the TechShop, a new membership driven DIY workshop in the Menlo Park area. They are having a grand opening open house this weekend. I will probably drive down and check it out, it's too bad I just moved so far north, now I am almost 2 hrs away!

Membership is steep at $100 a month or $1000 a year, but they reportedly will have a full suite of large tools such as mills, lathes, welders, etc as well as an electronics shop and probably other stuff as well.

This could be useful for guys doing custom fab work that don't have a big workshop at home.

Here's the e-mail.

TechShop’s Grand Opening is this Saturday, September 30 and Sunday, October 1, 2006
from 11:00 AM through 3:00 PM both days. There is no charge to attend the event.

Show And Tell at the Grand Opening (Saturday and Sunday) – If you have a project you
would like to show to other Makers, bring it along and either show it to people
yourself, or make a sign that explains what it is. We will supply tables on which
projects can be displayed. Any project is fine as long as you think it would appeal
to people who like to make things.

On Saturday from 1:00 PM until 2:30 PM, meet three inventors from ABC’s “American
Inventor” show -- Mark Major (Question Mark Flosser), Chris Miksovsky (Disposable
Drink Plate), and finalist Eric Thompson (Football Catch Training Vest) -- and hear
about their experiences as inventors.

On Sunday from 11:00 AM until 1:00 PM, come and meet Matthew Carauddo learn how to
wage battles with tough, durable realistic-looking light sabers. In October,
Matthew will also be teaching classes at TechShop in which you can build your own
battle-hardened light saber from scratch.

We will also be conducting tours of the TechShop facilities, and giving
demonstrations on some of the equipment including the Epilog Laser Engraver and
Cutter, the Bridgeport milling machine, and the large engine lathe.

This weekend is your last chance to take advantage of the special TechShop Annual
Access Pass for $1,000. These passes will not be available after the weekend of the
Grand Opening. We will also have inaugural TechShop t-shirts available for $10.

TechShop is a membership-based drop-in workshop in Menlo Park on the San Francisco
peninsula that provides members with access to a full range of hand tools and
machines to safely perform practically any task any DIY project. The equipment at
TechShop includes welders, milling machines, lathes, drill presses, band saws, sheet
metal equipment, a 3D printer and laser cutter, vacuum forming system, presses, an
electronics lab, sandblaster, air tools, and just about every other tool that a
Maker would ever need.

TechShop also offers a wide variety of classes for members and non-members of all
ages and skill levels in topics including soldering, welding, machining, CAD, 3D
printing, laser cutting and etching, electronics, robotics, hacking, Legos and VEX,
programming, green materials and design, sheet metal fabrication, plastics, and so
much more.

--
Ridge McGhee and Jim Newton
TechShop -- Build Your Dreams HERE!
grandopening@techshop.ws
1-(800)-640-1975
http://www.techshop.ws/

TimT
Sounds great!!

Hope it workls out for you guys.

Years ago there was something like that here in NY, however insurance liablitlies, theft, and people taking advantage of the system led to its downfall.
bd1308
We *NEED* something like that here in Louisville.

Mahcining cylinder heads drooley.gif

b
mightyohm
Tim,

I'm a little bit skeptical as well, but optimistic. I hope it is successful.

My concern is with people using the shop for for-profit organizations without regards for those who are using the shop to support their hobbies, or for research etc. I wonder how they will regulate against people using the shop 24x7 to generate revenue for themselves.

JimSar
I met some classic car folks a few weeks ago who told me they're renting an old warehouse at the former Mare Island shipyard where they do "co-op" sharing of tools and equipment. They also store their cars there now, and do most of the work there. One fella said it did wonders to his matrimonial harmony. So, I guess the concept works if you're all basically members of the "club".
-Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.