Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opportunity for a FREE 2270 "Roller Motor"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Jake Raby

HELL YEAH!!
100% Free...
200 ponies or reliable power....

Listen to this weeks Radio show (just uploaded) for the initial details..
serious details to follow!!!

This opportunity is for ONE individual and their car that meets my parameters...

Yes, I am crazy- But I want this Roller development done to the nth degree!

If you want to drive 50K miles and get a free engine, you might be my man!
bd1308
I'm intrested.

I'll drive across the US for a roller engine. AND clean shoes.
rhodyguy
are you going to give people a chance to go where there is a high speed hookup? or record from the archives? nearest hs i can do is 14 miles away and it's 5pm leftside. or not.

k
Jake Raby
Its more than a drivve cross country...
The guy with the right car and mind set that can drive the furthest gets it!! I want to see 50K miles in 6 months, if possible!

The perfect person must have a performance mindset, be willing to take part in a pioneering development and most of all must be compatible with my way of thinking.

This isn't for everyone for sure, but the right person could certainly have a lot of fun and provide valuable info for my program..
McMark
I believe I volunteered for this job a month ago. wink.gif driving.gif
Brian Mifsud
You gotta be a salesman for that kindof mileage. That's 384 miles per working day. Or go stick the car on a chassis dyno and a robot to drive it...
drgchapman
I think Dave Hunt deserves a shot at it........
Gerry can drive the shit out of it.
914nerd
Whoa,
I'm definitely interested
(as are about a thousand other people on this site)
but still
bd1308
:/

taht is a lot of miles. Sounds good for a single cab delivering parts countrywide.
hcdmueller
I could definitely average over 300mi a day. Too bad I am only a short time away from half a year in sunny Afghanistan. Plus shipping an engine to Germany for Autobahn testing sounds expensive.

Think of the fun. driving.gif
Mark Henry
I drove from coast to coast in Canada this year...50k no way. blink.gif

I'd love to be a test mule, but I have a life.
robby750
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 28 2006, 05:04 PM) *

I drove from coast to coast in Canada this year...50k no way. blink.gif

I'd love to be a test mule, but I have a life.

No one with a life can possibly due 50,000 in six months. How can anyone with a job find the time? Only someone independently weathy could afford to do it, and then why not just buy an engine>
rhodyguy
that's a big mountain. i'll still go get archives at my wifes school someday. are there archives?

k
guiltless
I would and can do it in a heartbeat, but I seriously doubt that Dana Point to Hollywood sitting in traffic on the freeway are the kind of miles you are looking for.
Jake Raby
The perfect person would be a retired, single guy....

BUT like I said I would LIKE to see someone do this in 6 months, but we'll take what we can get...

This would be a 15 thousand buck engine, maybe more...

I would have to get a minimum of 40K miles in one year to make this worth it's while for my development...

The right person with the right attitude and car might end up on the payroll..

This is more than just getting an engine, it is being part of development and that means as much to some people as anything else... This engine will have more to it than just the roller lifters, it'll have some other stuff that we haven't even mentioned in the past inside it as well..
Chris Pincetich
WOW - cool stuff. If this would have come up in the summer I might be game. OR how bout I drop it in a Baja and head off to Brazil? Then again, having only a second hand idea of Jake's personality, as seen here, I would have to think seriously of what his official "guinea pig" would have to endure sheeplove.gif av-943.gif
Jake Raby
Hell, It would be cool to make a lap of America and then head south of the border!

While this person is doing the testing they would be part of my team. I'm not hard to get along with at all, I just don't beat around the bush, kiss ass, or care to hurt peoples feelings!

At any rate I already have 7 emails from prospective drivers.. I'll be making up an application form next week and will start screening in a couple of months.

It would be a minimum of 6 months before we'd be ready to get this undereway, maybe 9 months..
Rambo
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 28 2006, 12:38 PM) *

HELL YEAH!!
100% Free...
200 ponies or reliable power....

Listen to this weeks Radio show (just uploaded) for the initial details..
serious details to follow!!!

This opportunity is for ONE individual and their car that meets my parameters...

Yes, I am crazy- But I want this Roller development done to the nth degree!

If you want to drive 50K miles and get a free engine, you might be my man!

-------------------------------------------------

Semper Fi Brother...here I am , right here in Dahlonega, I'll pay you to install it./
/EDIT
I'm WRONG, forget it, I don't qualify...but neither does my trike
So.Cal.914
I on the other hand will not pay to have it installed, and I would want my expenses

paid also. My wife and I are selling our house this year and moving to Hawaii

but this would be a great oppertunity to drive and say goodbye to all of our

relatives. That would be from SoCal to NorCal than to N.J. down to Fla a stop

in La and than to Cabo to my brothers vacation houes. From there we would

come back to Socal to load our $hit into a container ship. I am restoring a 74

right now and I would want it installed into that one. So when do we begin Jake.
Qball
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 28 2006, 01:49 PM) *

I believe I volunteered for this job a month ago. wink.gif driving.gif

OH no, Your spoken for until I get my motor av-943.gif
Of course you could drive cross country and help with the install, kill two birds with one stone. idea.gif
anthony
50K miles

20mpg

2500 gallons of fuel

$2.5/gallon

$6250!!!

This would be a perfect job for a salesman who is driving every day and getting reimbursed for mileage. I couldn't make 40K in a year even if I took the long way to work every day. Sounds like a unique opportunity for someone!

Jake Raby

Installation would be done by DTM Engineering in Atlanta- I don't work on cars, just their hearts... :-)

We would like to do the install so the car can be inspected and made to best complimemnt the engine... My data logger would more than likely be loaned out for the test so we could get a ton of data from the engine.

Like I said, the right guy won't be easy to find and may not exist, but i am trying... I can't pay any expenses other than fuel- this isn't a multi million dollar business ya know and I'm also a cheap bastard!

914nerd
If this came up somewhere around the beginnning of this next summer, I might be interested
Being a student, I would not have the time any other time (as I am a current senior in high school)
I think it would be a fascinating experience to run through some of the stages of testing and debugging a machine such as this
That said, this is a wonderful offer for someone and I am sure you will find someone in the appropriate position to get you the kind of mileage that you need

Charles
JPB
50,000 miles-bookoos of gas money and who furnishes that?

beer.gif I'd need a female co-partner for the drivetrain.
So.Cal.914
I understand Jake that money does not grow on tree's but would you expect this

person to sleep in their car, and not bringing in a paycheck they would need to eat

and fuel. I respect you but I allready have a wife and I support her hobbys, I

can't support yours too.
G e o r g e
i'll be putting my name in the hat,

i put 45-50k a year on

and have for the past 18 yrs

my DD was bought new, and the factory warranty was past in the first 6 months i had it driving.gif chowtime.gif driving.gif
GWN7
In 6-9 months I might be interested.....I meet the basic criteria - single, retired (soon to be), have a roller to put it in, like to travel and have a tough ass. smile.gif

6 months = 182.5 days, 50,000 miles averages out to 4.5 hrs per day driving time @ 60 mph average driving speed

Now the costs: 50,000 miles @ $3.00 per gal @ 25 mpg (estimated) = $6,000 in fuel costs.

Then add in road costs (hotels & food) even if you just eat the basics and stay at Motel 6's you have to factor a minimun of $100.00 per day or $18,250.00.

Now this is baseing that you do the road trip all at once and that the rest of the drive line of the car is all new (steering, brakes, trans, tires) The all new parts to the driveline could add up to another $5,000.00

So if my math is correct, it's about $30,000

Now if I drove from here to the WWC 4,500 miles, RRC 3,500 miles, FFC 2,800 miles and to GA 3,500 miles it would still leave me short 35,700 miles.

Once around the USA would add 8,500 miles....here to NY city, Ny to Miami, Miami to Dallas, Dallas to San Diego, San Diego to Vancouver and Vancouver home.. Still 27,200 miles short of the 50,000
Brian Mifsud
stick it on a chassis dyno with a robot running the throttle
anthony
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Sep 28 2006, 03:31 PM) *

person to sleep in their car, and not bringing in a paycheck they would need to eat
can't support yours too.

Hey, he's offering someone a unique opportunity. You obviously don't qualify.

Someone could look at it this way:

4 hours per day of driving x 25 days / month
=100 hours per month
= 4 x 55mph average = 220miles/day = 5500 miles/month

They will hit Jake's minimum of 40K miles in about 7 months.

$15000 motor / 700 hours = $21/hour

Aaron Cox
to comment on the above,,,

find someone who lives 2 hrs from work... thats 4hrs a day of commute smile.gif
DNHunt
Man if I didn't work I'd be all over that. I even have most of the parts already. I guess I'll just have to settle for the next best thing. I can do 10,000, 20,000 if I drive it all year and 30,000 if I always take the long way home but, no 50,000.

Dave
DNHunt
By the way Jake, I think you flipped your lid on this one

Dave
Brian Mifsud
I know a guy (software engineer) who lives in the Sierras and commutes to San Jose everyday. That fills the 150 mile per direction bill, but he just bought a Prius.........
914forme
Okay I will trade-in the Jetta TDI and drive a teener all week long, I rack 60K a year, and since I would also be driving it to events, I auto-x 3 weekends a month, and would have to sign up for some track days. My wife and kids don't think I have a life any way.

And like everyone else I could use a good 200 HP to make the cones quiver in fear!!!! If it is ready for spring 2007 then I am your man.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 28 2006, 03:11 PM) *

... ya know and I'm also a cheap bastard!

I knew there was a reason why you liked us! chairfall.gif

Ambitious project. I'd love to take you up on it, but I put no where near the miles on my car that you need for your R&D. Good luck finding your driver. I can't wait to see how this turns out.
bd1308
jake ACTUALLY said HE was a cheap bastard???

oh ive GOT to see this...

oh and whats going to happen with 914 development?
Jake Raby
I do 83 miles a day myself and thats still not anywhere near enough to get this done as fast as I would like it to be...

Like I said, I'd pay for gas and other associated expenses, to a certain point..

Anyone that is doing the math solely to see what they will benefit from this is missing the entire point and certainly won't be the man for the job.....
grantsfo
Jake you put it in a decent car and I'll drive it as my daily commuter on my 30,000 mile per year commute over mountains in Central California into traffic filled SF Bay Area freways. Hell think about that! I'd even fly out to drive it from GA to CA and back. That would get you 35K in a year.

Gosh I owe you a PR opportunity like this!
MattR
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Sep 28 2006, 04:33 PM) *

to comment on the above,,,

find someone who lives 2 hrs from work... thats 4hrs a day of commute smile.gif

how long is slits' commute?

biggrin.gif
Jake Raby
Grant, when I saw that you had posted I thought your post would be typical and much different!

You might be a prospect, if you can drop the six out for a few months...LOL
ws91420
I will be having a commute that is 33 miles one way in stop and go traffic on I95 and at time wide open lanes. Contact me if this is something you would like. I am interested in a Raby for the future of my teener but if the future is now that would be great
GWN7
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 28 2006, 06:22 PM) *

I do 83 miles a day myself and thats still not anywhere near enough to get this done as fast as I would like it to be...

Like I said, I'd pay for gas and other associated expenses, to a certain point..

Anyone that is doing the math solely to see what they will benefit from this is missing the entire point and certainly won't be the man for the job.....

When I started to type my responce (about post #18) there was no mention of kicking in for gas or any other funding. I type slow and wanted to put out that it wasn't a "free" engine and that there would be some costs associated with this endevor. "nothing in life is free" comes to mind.....

Guess I'll put a SBC in the roller and drive it 25,000 for fun happy11.gif
beerchug.gif
TravisNeff
Great project and a very generous one at that!
Joe Ricard
Hey I doubt anyone runs thier car much harder I do.
Can't believe you didn't call me or Email me or sumpin.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Sep 28 2006, 08:51 PM) *

This isn't all about running it hard..
This development will be utilized in engines that will be tagged as 100K mile long livers.. I need direct information derived from long distance driving time so I can ensure these will be a positive addition in all aspects for my engine program..

If you wanted to do an AX in every state in the Continental US, then it would be a different story!!
Its looking like I might have to do 1/2 the miles and then have someone else do the rest....
grantsfo
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 28 2006, 08:00 PM) *

Grant, when I saw that you had posted I thought your post would be typical and much different!

You might be a prospect, if you can drop the six out for a few months...LOL

Unfortunately my 914-6 is more of a dedicated track car now. If It was more mild and I didnt depend on it for track I'd do it. Drive is 1 1/2 hours each way from sea level to 2500 foot summit into stop and go SF Bay Area traffic. A couple of business trips to LA down Highway 5. Man wish I had a street car! I'd do it. And I would not need any money for gas etc.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 28 2006, 10:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Sep 28 2006, 08:51 PM) *

This isn't all about running it hard..
This development will be utilized in engines that will be tagged as 100K mile long livers.. I need direct information derived from long distance driving time so I can ensure these will be a positive addition in all aspects for my engine program..

If you wanted to do an AX in every state in the Continental US, then it would be a different story!!
Its looking like I might have to do 1/2 the miles and then have someone else do the rest....

That's Bull Shit.
I get up at freaking 4 am drive 4 to 5 hours one way to Autocross. and then drive back home. I can get you more REAL data than you can stand. I put 17,000 miles on my car in the last 12 months. which includes 18 Autocrosses ( it was a slow year) rarely was there not a co driver with me. Then 1 road course lapping with two drivers and I'm going again this weekend for another lapping day.

So I figure I put some good milage on my car....... You think not?
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(anthony @ Sep 28 2006, 04:27 PM) *

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Sep 28 2006, 03:31 PM) *

can't support yours too.

Hey, he's offering someone a unique opportunity. You obviously don't qualify.

Someone could look at it this way:

4 hours per day of driving x 25 days / month
=100 hours per month
= 4 x 55mph average = 220miles/day = 5500 miles/month

They will hit Jake's minimum of 40K miles in about 7 months.

$15000 motor / 700 hours = $21/hour

Thats fine with me we were going to fly I was just offering to do it that way

so Jake could get the miles he wanted on his engine in as short a time as possable

but I am not going to pay to do his R&D, sorry Jake.
Joe Ricard
OK I got it.

I'll drive my car to Clevland Ga. You put the motor in on Saturday I'll go to Barber Motor Sports park Sunday and drive home monday

Then come back to 47 Raby drive Every weekend for Lunch (your buying) Last time I was there it took 7.5 Hours 1 way Sure cuts into my racing however. Stomping Mustangs on I-65 will grow old pretty quick or land me in Jail.

Jake Raby
Joe, You can do 50K in 6 months??

If so I'd certainly consider it... Getting street miles AND AX events would be the ultimate if we could get the big mileage that I am looking for, or close to it...

I could make the engine smaller displacement if you needed it for a class limitation...

At this point I am not leaning toward anyone in particular, once the applications are filled out the screening will begin. I have a dozen or so serious parties already emailing me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.