Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need carb advice quick...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rtalich
I'm just about to purchase the 40mm Webers that are listed in the FS section. They are off of VW. The add says they were installed on a VW. Besides the intake being different, are they virtually the same carb you can buy for the 914? Any differences I need to know about?

Also, will the intakes that just went for sale bolt on?

Thanks,
Rob
rtalich
bump
Thack
What year is your car? What size engine? What size engine did the carbs come from?
rtalich
Its a '74 2.0L...
Matt Romanowski
Didn't see the ad, but all IDF's are basically the same. They've changed were they make them, but the basic carb is the same.

Matt
Thack
Rob, I don't think you could go wrong with your idea to get the carbs and the intakes listed separately. The number of holes on the intakes vary between the year model I think. I'm not sure of your car's intake config but I'm sure a drill press can remedy any problem. You would stilll need the linkage between the carbs. It's a long aluminum bar with adjustable fittings on the ends. Easy enough to find here or on ebay.
McMark
The carbs will be fine, it's the manifolds that might not work. But manifolds are cheap.
Thack
This cross bar could work. I see the linkage with heim joints are attached to the carb in the FS section.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-BUGPACK-...1QQcmdZViewItem

and these intakes would definitely work.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-WEBER-ID...1QQcmdZViewItem
Joe Ricard
CB performance makes an OK linkage.
I have no idea who made my linkage butit mounts to the case and pivots there with reach rodsgoing ot to the carbs.
Very little slop. I need to have a machinist make me a couple more.
So.Cal.914
The manifolds will work with your 2.0 L and the carbs.
Bleyseng
If you are looking to ditch the FI for carbs, why? I saw your car this week and I thought it was running good?

Carbs work only if you switch out the cam to a carb cam otherwise stay with the FI as its more hp/torque than if you switch to carbs.
rhodyguy
how the carbs are configured is crucial. venturi size, newmerous #s for jetting. if you have to start guessing, buying, changing items, buying a syncronometer (you WILL need one), a good low pressure rotary fuel pump, a manual to help you thru the install, assorted fuel lines, some sort of breather box setup/case venting, potential rebuilds(they are used)... you'll get frustrated in a hurry. first time out of the blocks dialing in the carbs is quite the adventure. if your djet works well, save the money. ps, the cb setup does not include a throttle cable holder. be prepared to fab something up.

k
rtalich
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Sep 29 2006, 07:51 AM) *

If you are looking to ditch the FI for carbs, why? I saw your car this week and I thought it was running good?

Carbs work only if you switch out the cam to a carb cam otherwise stay with the FI as its more hp/torque than if you switch to carbs.

I'm keeping my setup as is for now... Eventually I'd like to put the carbs on or maybe start build a new motor.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(rtalich @ Sep 29 2006, 10:13 AM) *

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Sep 29 2006, 07:51 AM) *

I'm keeping my setup as is for now... Eventually I'd like to put the carbs on or maybe start build a new motor.

for a new motor I'd suggest either a McMark 2056cc 125hp drop in or a Jake engine kit -2056 or 2270.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=42456

http://www.type4store.com

For resale, stock cars lose about $500-1000 off their value if they don't have FI. Put it in a box when you switch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.